Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 19-11-2015, 10:44   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Freedom of Movement Around Our Globe, Aftermath of Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumelia View Post
Could we agree that all piracy is economic by definition?

Sent from my LG-D415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
definitely,as is crime against property,though muslims under sharia law seem to have found an effective way of combatting it.........

to quote goosebumps
quote"It is worth mentioning that Mozambique has ordered French HSI 32 interceptors and Ocean Eagle 43 boats to patrol, to be delivered from next month. The searches at sea will increase "

I would not worry too much about that,they will soon run out of spare parts,and sell off the fuel allocated to them,as generally happens with any of these first world aid projects to stone age people

Old 19-11-2015, 14:32   #62
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
east Africa had/has a thriving black market for foreign currency.

currency declaration forms,and having to show recipts for all currency transactions at state appointed banks were a measure to try and slow the rampant inflation of African currencies caused by illegal black market exchange of goods and foreign currency in the area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosebumps View Post
The reason is that ie Mozambique can tax you on food items you import. They also don't want items like TV's, outboards
to be smuggled into country without import tax paid, unless these items are mentioned on your yacht inventory, serial nrs etc as item identification, which
needs to be stamped by your country of origin. Tanzania has similar approach. Atol is also right about the concern about laundring of money. Large amounts of cash are not allowed, there are limits on importing cash. The Mozambican Meticals cannot be exported... Gets complicated. The big problem is that you can never be fully informed what the law enforcement agencies like customs will come up with. It is worth mentioning that Mozambique has ordered French HSI 32 interceptors and Ocean Eagle 43 boats to patrol, to be delivered from next month. The searches at sea will increase abd we pray that the crew won't behave like the infamous traffic police of their country....
Thanks, that explains it well, it has been 35+ years since I have spent some time in North and Central Africa and one only remembers the good side of the experiences. I guess that is why we say "the good old days" so remember, some time in the future, what we experience now will become the good old days

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply
Old 29-11-2015, 18:07   #63

Boat: Ranger 33'
Wink Re: freedom of movement around our globe, aftermath of Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
By this Friday there will be more gun deaths in the U.S. Since Paris than those killed in Paris.

One hospital in Paris reported they typically have one gun shot victim per year.

"More guns would have prevented Paris" but those same politicans are to scared to admit a few more refugees.

You're more likely to get shot in a Florida Cracker Barrel Restaurant when a CC drops his gun that's you are by a terrorist.

Now we do need to kick some ass as far as ISIS goes but it has to be a strategy to somehow weaken and defeat without creating a mass propaganda tool for them to recruit more. Cutting off their internet access would be a good starting point.
Slanted news is great for gaining power on prevalent issues. Unfortunately the issues get extremely distorted by persons not capable or willing to get to the factual basis.
Old 30-11-2015, 03:54   #64

Not sure what you were trying to say there Roygee.
Would you please expand on that
Old 30-11-2015, 04:12   #65
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustermaw View Post
Not sure what you were trying to say there Roygee.
Would you please expand on that
I think what he's saying is..
People with weapons are crazy dangerous with a lust for killing..
But.. its not the weapon that is to blame so they should not be banned..
However.. any act to stop him buying one infriges Human and Constituitional Rights.
Its all the Medias fault the situation exists as it does.. all they ever do is publish Negative News about weaponry and man..
How about some Good News Stories to balance things out.. something like..
'Donald Trump gets shot in Ass in hunting accident...'
Happy Days...������

Welcome to the Asylum..������
boatman61 is offline   Reply
Old 30-11-2015, 04:30   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I...
Its all the Medias fault the situation exists as it does.. all they ever do is publish Negative News about weaponry and man..
How about some Good News Stories to balance things out.. something like...
I rolled out this mornin' the kids had the mornin' news show on
Bryant Gumbel was talkin' 'bout the fighting in Lebanon
Some senator was squawkin' 'bout the bad economy
It's gonna get worse you see, we need a change in policy

There's a local paper rolled up in a rubber band
One more sad story's one more than I can stand
Just once how I'd like to see the headline say
"Not much to print today, can't find nothin' bad to say", because

Nobody robbed a liquor store on the lower part of town
Nobody OD'ed, nobody burned a single buildin' down
Nobody fired a shot in anger, nobody had to die in vain
We sure could use a little good news today

I'll come home this evenin', I'll bet that the news will be the same
Somebody takes a hostage, somebody steals a plane
How I wanna hear the anchor man talk about a county fair
And how we cleaned up the air, how everybody learned to care
Whoa, tell me

Nobody was assassinated in the whole Third World today
And in the streets of Ireland, all the children had to do was play
And everybody loves everybody in the good old USA

Nobody robbed a liquor store on the lower part of town
Nobody OD'ed, nobody burned a single buildin' down
Nobody fired a shot in anger, nobody had to die in vain

GordMay is offline   Reply
Old 30-11-2015, 04:57   #67

Boat: Defever 43 - Gray Hawk

My grandmother who has been dead for 30 years told me that the news was always bad and she refused to watch any of it. I don't go to that extreme but conventional news sources are definitely more about entertainment than they are about hard news. But to get back to the OP and the actual thread subject .... it seems clear that our freedom of movement in general is constrained by government over-reaction to "terrorism".

I particularly enjoy the irony when some tinpot dictatorship refers to "terrorist" incidents to justify heavy handed governmental action. Unfortunately its just the way of the world. My father picked up his driver's license at the post office by paying a nominal fee. I bought my first rifle at the local hardware store by showing up and paying for it. I still live in a village with no building code so I can build what I want, where I want, when I want and how I want. But all of those freedoms have been largely constrained by authority for most of us and there's no reason to think any of that is going to get less restricted. Governments love to govern and given the chance bureaucrats will increase their hold on our wallets and their interference in our lives.

As citizens we need to push back against heavy handed authority where we can. And we need to get out and enjoy our freedom where and when we can. Time to get back on the boat and untie the lines.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply
Old 30-11-2015, 10:07   #68

With each new manufactured " Outrage " we lose more of our freedoms.
The yachting fraternity feels it both in the pocket, with yet another marina to relieve us of our hard earned shekels, and from some bureaucrat who wishes to justify his existence by making ours a misery.
For instance, I saw a horse and rider down by the river the other day ,she had a hi-vis jacket with " beware, horse and rider " printed on it. Still I haven't come to terms with the mindset of the health and safety gentleman who thought that one up.More worrying is the fact that the young people in England do not seem to think that this is odd.
Also , can someone please tell me were I can hide on this planet from someone who tells me to " be safe "

"Uhuru"

Tags
men

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: