Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-12-2016, 17:20   #16

Re: Found out the hard way...

It sounds very much like one of the commercial sites that does everything to look like an official Coast Guard site. Dont trust the internet, find the number and call the actual Coast Guard office.______Grant.

Old 06-12-2016, 17:32   #17

Boat: 1966 Buchan 37

This site. https://www.uscg.mil/nvdc/instr/inst%20replace.pdf

There is another site https://www.uscg.mil/nvdc/nvdcfaq.asp the official USCG National Vessel Documentation Center which brings you to this site https://www.uscg.mil/nvdc/instr/fee%20sch.pdf Table of Fees which lists return to documentation as $84.00. but no mention of a reinstating fee.

They do warn you however that all fee's are non refundable so to be very certain of what you apply for as that is money gone if you are wrong and you are still on the hook for the correct fee. I guess I'll know more when they call back.

They look pretty legit. Letterhead and all but who knows.

Old 06-12-2016, 18:03   #18

Boat: Morris Justine

I let mine expire last year and the renewal penalty was nowhere near $450.
It was under $100.

I have the reinstated documentation back so I know I got the fee right.
Old 06-12-2016, 19:21   #19

Boat: 38' French Cat

We just renewed ours, it expired while we were overseas. It was 125ish and was several months expired
Old 06-12-2016, 21:11   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
Positive, for expired cod there is a link to a renewal form, go to that link, there is a statement in red print explaining that if you are past 30 days expired you cannot renew and must reinstate your cod and give you a link to that form. That's where the suckage begins. But don't take my word for it, follow my steps and fill out the form yourself (you don't need to finalize) and you will see just how seriously they don't want to deal with tardy submissions. It is the USCG / HOMELAND SECURITY website.
I would check more carefully the website you're on. I almost got caught by a commercial site that looked VERY official, links to forms and fees and such and charged a huge premium over the real USCG site.

There was post from another member a few months ago that had the same problem and after posting on the forum and being warmed he was able to confirm he was NOT on the official USCG site.

I suggest you copy the link of the website and post it here.

By the way, I let my documentation expire while I was on the hard refitting the boat for 7 years and it cost me $84 to reinstate.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:05   #21
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

due to the state of fail us mail de snail, mine was overdue, despite mailing with plenty of time in 2014. the renewal is 86 usd. i did it by telephone and was done fast. i had my doc in less than 2 weeks.
you been had, pal. nvdc is only site to use.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:17   #22

It is worth mentioning that you should not call the number from the site charging the fee. Reference an alternate, verified as legitimate, resource for the contact information. Otherwise, you'd be calling the same service company and not the source.

This would as you would do with a bank. Use the contact info. on a card or invoice, not an E-mail or website.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:21   #23

Boat: Bristol 29.9

I don't think you're on the right website. The National Vessel Documentation Website is http://https://www.uscg.mil/nvdc/default.asp

It's not $450 to renew an expired certificate. You need to reinstate the certificate, and it's $84. But if you want to keep insisting it's $450....
Old 07-12-2016, 10:12   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Norseman 447
Send a message via Skype™ to Dartanyon

Marksman, we just reinstated our several months expired documentation as well, and it was sub $125. I know you say your on the right site, and all, but something is amiss in what you are doing/clicking on. Perhaps there is some commercial checkbox or something? I'm down in Seattle, but happy to meet up half way for coffee with a laptop, and see if we can get it sorted.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:35   #25

Evidence of deletion $15.00.
Just did it to change my USCG vessel to Canadian flagged.
You're on the wrong site.
Lots of companies out there to "help" you.
Easily done yourself by fax or email.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:21   #26

Boat: MacGregor 26D

Make sure you are using the correct address/URL. There are several federal websites where you can get things done for free, but if you use the wrong one a private company will charge you. Google EIN or FEIN as an example. At the real government site it is free. Pick the wrong one and someone is gonna charge you. Illegal, no. Unethical, immoral, that's a different question.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:34   #27

Boat: Nauticat 43

Fred,

I'm sorry to hear of your losses, and subsequent hassle renewing your COD.

I concur with others, the $450 must be a mistake per the USCG Fees page, and a phone call to the USCG VDC is worthwhile. [The USCG doesn't set their own fees, but web programmers can make mistakes too...]

I have demonstrated on more than one occasion that I am fully capable of repeatedly forgetting important dates. Therefore, I rely on accurately adding them [and appropriate recurring reminders...] to my electronic calendar so all devices start nagging me 30+ days out, and this happens on every anniversary of each event. [A minute of my time sets me up for reminders forever...]

With regard to renewing the USCG COD specifically, when I paid using the new[ish] online payment system for the first time in 2015, I signed up for email notifications [Bills...] Since then I receive a reminder via email each year ~6 weeks in advance in advance.

From the USCG COD FAQs:

Quote:
A Certificate of Documentation is valid for one year from the date of issue, providing there are NO CHANGES other than a change of owner's address. The Certificate must be renewed on an annual basis. Even though it is up to the owner to assure the document does not expire, the Coast Guard will send a Notice of Renewal to the managing owner approximately 45 days prior to expiration. See the instruction letter Renewal of Certificate of Documentation elsewhere at this site regarding renewal procedures.
Perhaps a bulletproof way to help prevent such lapses in the future is to establish an 'Agent' who can renew on your behalf. This helps defeat the effects of memory lapses and lack of internet access, among other things.

In our case, SBI Mail Services offers such a service so you never have to worry about taking care of it if you are unable to for any reason. And we can have them scan the COD when received, so if we are off somewhere and need to demonstrate it has been renewed, we have a reasonable way of doing so while we await arrival of the original document.

Perhaps the best for us all will be when the USCG complies with the 2015 [from memory...] congressional mandate to allow renewal for up to 5 year periods...

I hope you find the resolution painless and never have this experience again.

Best wishes getting this resolved to your satisfaction, and relatively cheaply at that!

Cheers! Bill

Short on opinions; focused on research, facts & experience [yours and ours...]
wrwakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:37   #28

Thank you for all your responses. I will have to look deeper into this as far too many of you have had similar experience at a cheaper price. Some of the links given here are very close to the ones I have been using and the sites look very official, which I'm surprised the coasties allow. Dartanyon, if I still have no luck I will pm and take you up on your offer as I would prefer not to hang numbers on my bow if I don't have to.
Thanks again for all the response and will post my results.
Old 07-12-2016, 13:03   #29

Ok!
You are all correct. Those are scalper sites, but man, they go through a lot of trouble to look legit, complete with official letterhead and all. Went to uscg.mil and got the true skinny. You have to learn how they do things a little but was able to find the fee schedule and the correct form CG-1258 in interactive, saveable, printable pdf format. Needed to call the documentation 800 phone number for some clarification but they were prompt and very helpful and I get away with $84 usd just as some have told me. My apologies for my misguided insistence, and shame on those who pose as the real McCoy while profiteering off the misfortune of others. I am very thankful for our close community here and especially to the individuals who have responded with their experience and advice. Thank you too Bill W. for your condolences, it has been a very bad several months.

Cheers everyone!
Old 07-12-2016, 22:56   #30

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

There is no charge if it expires, it just expires !, i let mine expire, as i was tired of renewing every year, for no advantage, still hafto pay the state and if one gets in a jam overseas, Uncle Sam isn't going to help, the whole thing is that it was set up for commercial vessel's, not for recreational boat's and honestly there is no advantage to being documented, except for having a record of owners and i believe a record of any liens, but again only if it's in documentation.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: