Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-03-2016, 04:23   #1

Boat: 1978 Eurobanker 34 Flybridge
Unhappy Ford Lehman 2700 problems

Hi, I have a problem and I wonder if anyone can help. I have a Eurobanker 34 with twin Ford Lehman 2700 series 80hp 4 cylinder diesel engines (1978). They are now proving to be hard to start, once they do start they run fine BUT both oil pressure guages are so high they are off the clock.
Do these engine have heater plugs? I have looked but cannot see any. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

Old 13-03-2016, 04:41   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Ford Lehman 2700 problems

Skiggy, I had the same problem with a 4 cly Dover in a rib. During the winter if the temp was down to 0'c then getting the engine to turn over fast enough to start could be a problem even with 4 x 75AH batteries connected to it. During the summer no problem.

As for your oil pressure, that's a worry. Has it got the right oil in and at the right level? been changed recently? Are the gauges reading correctly? isn't there a pressure relief valve in the pump, I am working from memory and it was along time ago. Lancing Marine have always been very helpful, even had Mike Bellamy help me out on a bank holiday Monday once. He was in the office when I range for advice.

Pete

Old 13-03-2016, 09:50   #3

Cheers Pete, I will try Lancing but I have a feeling it is possibly an electric fault somehow because it is unlikely that both engins would develop the same fault at exactly the same time. Do you know if there are heater plugs on this engine, it sounds the same engine as you had.
Old 13-03-2016, 11:47   #4

Boat: Liberty 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiggy View Post
Do you know if there are heater plugs on this engine, it sounds the same engine as you had.
No they have an excess fuel device usually with a Bowden cable to the hem position rather like an engine STOP control. You advance the throttle fully open, pull out the cold start knob and push it back again, return the throttle to the fast idle position and start the engine.

If you don't have the Bowden cable arrangement then there is a knob sticking out of the side of the high pressure fuel pump on the engine which you push in once you have opened the throttle fully. Then return the throttle to fast idle and start the engine.

Good luck,

Mike
Old 14-03-2016, 02:16   #5

Hi Captmikecoin, thanks for your reply. I do not have any of that arrangement, there is just the ignition keys starters and push button engine stops. Cheers anyway.
Old 14-03-2016, 03:22   #6

Boat: Liberty 49

You'll find a copy of the manual here http://bf494.co.uk/assets/Ford_Lehman.pdf

There's the cold start procedure in that with an illustration of the injection pump.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 14-03-2016, 06:56   #7

Hi Mike thanks for the reply, very helpfull. I have to admit I did not know about the excess fuel button, that is the trouble, I was told nothing about the engines though I suspect neither is anybody else, just got to learn your way around these things.
Any ideas about the excessive oil pressure on both engines? Again, thanks a lot, much appreciated. Cheers.
Old 14-03-2016, 08:31   #8

Call Brian at American Diesel here in the US. They did the original Conversion to marine, and will gladly answer all your questions. 804 435-3107
Old 14-03-2016, 08:50   #9

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48

Both engines hard to start at the same time? Are the starting from a common battery?

If so start with the battery and associated electrical connections first.
Old 14-03-2016, 09:13   #10

Hi Paulajane, thanks for replying. No each engine has its own 24v batteries (2x12v in series)
Old 14-03-2016, 09:16   #11

Hi davechili, thanks for your responce, will do what you suggest. Cheers.
Old 14-03-2016, 09:22   #12

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48

Quote:
Hi Paulajane, thanks for replying. No each engine has its own 24v batteries (2x12v in series)
Common fuel supply? - Same again target the common items first.

BTW Check engine earths are they common?
Old 14-03-2016, 10:58   #13
IRG

Boat: Molenmaker, Custom ketch, 97'

I have had the 6-cyl version of these engines on two different boats and they are wonderful old kickers.

Previous replies are correct, there is an excess fuel button on the fuel injector pump for cold starting, simply press it in before your starting process. I never had a remote control, I had to go to the engine room to press it. Actually, hardly ever needed to even on fairly cold days.

What conditions are you finding it difficult to start your engines? Did it start with both of them at the same time? Are the starter motors turning the engine over at the same rate as before? Is the fuel feed the same or totally different circuits for each engine? DO THEY HAVE ELECTRIC FUEL PUMPS? If fuel feed rate is restricted and the mechanical pumps on the engines are weak or can't self-prime the fuel enough, that would cause the problem you're experiencing with starting.

Did your oil pressure gauges start showing high at the same time? If so, I'm betting you have a common ground wire for both that has rusted or broken.

Ray

Quote:
Hi, I have a problem and I wonder if anyone can help. I have a Eurobanker 34 with twin Ford Lehman 2700 series 80hp 4 cylinder diesel engines (1978). They are now proving to be hard to start, once they do start they run fine BUT both oil pressure guages are so high they are off the clock.
Do these engine have heater plugs? I have looked but cannot see any. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.
Old 15-03-2016, 02:45   #14

Hi Paulajane, thanks for replying. No, each engine has its own tank. Cheers.
Old 15-03-2016, 03:01   #15

Hi IRG, the starters are ok and yes it started with both engines at the same time so I too suspect an electrical problem. Both engines are independent for fuel and batteries, each have their own supply. The conditions are cold but above freezing. The 'excess fuel button' seems a daft arrangement, it means lifting the floorboards dropping down into the engine room, the port engine is easily accessed but the starboard engine means you have to squeeze round the back of the engine in the dark. Doable but a strange boatbuilders oversight methinks. Anyway, will follow up your suggestions and see what happens. Thank you.

Tags
lehman

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: