Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2013, 11:48   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
I did not like to see this article. May take some time however for those of you who have the challenges of sailing south of Texas may certainly want have input on this in this forum.

I'm not so sure that as many people on fever of this in Florida, as the article suggests.

http://www.worldoil.com/Floridas_vot...oll_shows.html
Old 22-10-2013, 12:13   #2

Re: Florida the next cruising grounds to be littered with oil rigs?

as I understand it, there's really just the Destin Dome which is gas, a continuation of the fields of the Mobile Alabama area

And as much natural gas as Fla consumes, it's about time they share the load. NIMBY my ass.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 12:19   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
as I understand it, there's really just the Destin Dome which is gas, a continuation of the fields of the Mobile Alabama area

And as much natural gas as Fla consumes, it's about time they share the load. NIMBY my ass.
Gas I don't have much problem with, however oil is a totally different situation.
Old 22-10-2013, 12:23   #4

You might want to get over that reticence since I'm sure you use oil products. Can't have it both ways, and oil doesn't fall from Heaven

If you don't like drilling, then work to find alternatives, or live with the consequences.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 12:31   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
You might want to get over that reticence since I'm sure you use oil products. Can't have it both ways, and oil doesn't fall from Heaven

If you don't like drilling, then work to find alternatives, or live with the consequences.
Trust me I understand oil and the patch. I have one gas well that is one block from my place, and there are five oil pumpers inside of a mile.

I snowbird. The oil sands are only 200 north of me. I see the environmental impacts that or oil and gas work have daily.

I also have a large wind farm that is about 15 miles away. Wind farms also have their issues, but they certainly produce clean energy.
Old 22-10-2013, 12:46   #6
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Being from Texas, I sure would hate to see this happen. The rigs are why we cruise Florida, the East Coast, and the Bahamas.

Ralph
| sailing away with R & B
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 13:05   #7

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

That poll was a tad skewed. It was paid for by the American Petroleum Institute . . . and the way the poll was set up pretty much guaranteed a positive response.

I could easily construct a similar poll that would elicit a majority negative response.

But maybe all they care about is getting that one headline, and then repeating it often enough that everyone believes it.

http://www.api.org/~/media/Files/New...-Access-FL.pdf

The questions in order were:

-- Are you currently registered to vote?

-- Did you vote in the last (2012) Presidential election?

-- Do you support or oppose increased production of domestic oil and natural gas resources located herein the U.S.?

-- How important to you is producing more oil and natural gas here at home?

Now, I am going to read you a series of statements, for each statement, please tell me if you agree or disagree with each statement.

-- Increased production of domestic oil and natural gas resources could help strengthen America’s energy security.

-- Increased production of domestic oil and natural gas resources could lead to more jobs in the U.S.

-- Producing more domestic oil and natural gas could help lower energy costs for consumers.

-- Increased production of domestic oil and natural gas resources could help stimulate the economy.

-- Producing more domestic oil and natural gas could benefit federal and state budgets through lease payments, royalty fees and other sources of revenue.

-- Do you support or oppose offshore drilling for domestic oil and natural gas resources?

Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 14:04   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Ya push polls suck, no matter who does them.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 14:04   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

is the point of this thread a "not in my backyard" type of thing?
Old 22-10-2013, 14:22   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
is the point of this thread a "not in my backyard" type of thing?
More a lament that a popular cruising ground and vacation/retirement mecca may soon be populated (infested?) with offshore oil & gas rigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabicatana

The issue is that oil exploration and production continues at a breakneck pace, yet there's no equivalent drive towards energy conservation and maybe preserving oil stocks for a bit longer than just the next 100 years.

I'm told that one of the reasons for production increases is that cheap oil is being relied upon heavily to keep the US economy ticking along, even at the current anaemic pace. (Ditto for Canada). It truly is a case of robbing from the future to maintain an unsustainable status quo.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 04:24   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
...The issue is that oil exploration and production continues at a breakneck pace, yet there's no equivalent drive towards energy conservation and maybe preserving oil stocks for a bit longer than just the next 100 years.....
No drive for energy conservation? Really??
Why is it that cars are getting higher and higher fuel mileage each year? mandates......for energy consrvation
Why are air conditioners getting higher SEER values? Mandates....for energy conservation
Why are new homes required to have the insulation at certain thicknesses, at a minimum? Mandates....you guessed it....for energy conservation.
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote