Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2019, 12:04   #1
Registered User
 
TheRailRoader's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: North west BC.
Posts: 104
First trip :) valiant 40

Hope this is the right spot some pictures of the trip WA to BC

Seems like I can only get 3, but still gives an idea

RR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190330_183433.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	410.1 KB
ID:	189169   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190330_122501.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	189170  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190330_134010.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	412.3 KB
ID:	189171  
__________________

TheRailRoader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 15:16   #2
Registered User
 
longjonsilver's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: halifax, nova scotia
Boat: foilcat 14
Posts: 341
Re: First trip :) valiant 40

i guess that's why they call it sailing on your ear?
__________________

__________________
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 15:24   #3
rbk
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Whitehorse, YT
Boat: Tayana 37
Posts: 1,132
Re: First trip :) valiant 40

Congrats! Wash and scrub that canvas then apply canvak or any other canvas uv/water repellent spray (hardware or outdoors store, Cantire sells stuff) it will reduce growth on canvas, make it more water/uv repellent and pro-long its life and its cheap.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 18:54   #4
Registered User
 
TheRailRoader's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: North west BC.
Posts: 104
Re: First trip :) valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Congrats! Wash and scrub that canvas then apply canvak or any other canvas uv/water repellent spray (hardware or outdoors store, Cantire sells stuff) it will reduce growth on canvas, make it more water/uv repellent and pro-long its life and its cheap.
Thanks! I will try to pick some of that up to deal with that unsightly mess.
TheRailRoader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 18:59   #5
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 16,039
Re: First trip :) valiant 40

Railroader:

When you take pictures with a camera that autorotates, the forum software puts it in the rotated position. You can fix the problem by keeping it upright, rather than taking the pic the long way.

Ann
__________________
Who scorns the calm has forgotten the storm.
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 19:05   #6
rbk
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Whitehorse, YT
Boat: Tayana 37
Posts: 1,132
Re: First trip :) valiant 40

No issues, problems, surprised etc? Get the Sails up?
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 19:08   #7
Registered User
 
TheRailRoader's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: North west BC.
Posts: 104
Re: First trip :) valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Railroader:

When you take pictures with a camera that autorotates, the forum software puts it in the rotated position. You can fix the problem by keeping it upright, rather than taking the pic the long way.

Ann
Sorry I get what you are saying.. but my phone was upright for these photos. My brother was taking the precision photos I was just snapping some off... or did I miss something?
TheRailRoader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 19:13   #8
Registered User
 
TheRailRoader's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: North west BC.
Posts: 104
Re: First trip :) valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
No issues, problems, surprised etc? Get the Sails up?
Wind was coming straight at us all day, so we couldn't get them up

Everything worked like a beaut. Absolutely zero issues, she fired up quicker and cleaner then my bush truck does haha. Radar, chart plotter, gps, depth sounder that came with the boat all worked perfectly.

We were told the engine had an overheating issue, but she never did.. may be cooler water/time of year maybe...

The new regulator, batteries and alternator I got my brother to install work amazingly.

I have had a grin from ear to ear the entire trip. When we landed in oak bay to clear in, I took the guys Captain Langley and my brother to that ritzy restaurant at oak bay marina and we ate like kings.. my brother was liberal with my money and ordered cognac haha but he deserved it for all his hard work.

I am beyond in love with her, perfect trip all around minus the no sailing part. But still, I'm addicted.
TheRailRoader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 19:18   #9
rbk
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Whitehorse, YT
Boat: Tayana 37
Posts: 1,132
Re: First trip :) valiant 40

Wait til you get the sails up and feel it plow through the water like itís on rails and the engine stops and nothing but the water under your keel and your wake. Not many better places to be than on the bow of your boat under sail, in reasonable weather of course. Worst place when itís nasty lol.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:15   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kemah, TX
Boat: Island Packet 32
Posts: 108
Re: First trip :) valiant 40

Valiant 40? Makes me envious!!
__________________
Jim Stevens
jpstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:31   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 11
Re: First trip :) valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRailRoader View Post
Wind was coming straight at us all day, so we couldn't get them up

Everything worked like a beaut. Absolutely zero issues, she fired up quicker and cleaner then my bush truck does haha. Radar, chart plotter, gps, depth sounder that came with the boat all worked perfectly.

We were told the engine had an overheating issue, but she never did.. may be cooler water/time of year maybe...

The new regulator, batteries and alternator I got my brother to install work amazingly.

I have had a grin from ear to ear the entire trip. When we landed in oak bay to clear in, I took the guys Captain Langley and my brother to that ritzy restaurant at oak bay marina and we ate like kings.. my brother was liberal with my money and ordered cognac haha but he deserved it for all his hard work.

I am beyond in love with her, perfect trip all around minus the no sailing part. But still, I'm addicted.
Take the time to look up Patrick Childress on YouTube. They have multiple circumnavigations on a valiant 40 and he has countless tips for working on his boat. A great fellow besides!
SailnBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:00   #12
Registered User
 
TheRailRoader's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: North west BC.
Posts: 104
Re: First trip :) valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailnBlue View Post
Take the time to look up Patrick Childress on YouTube. They have multiple circumnavigations on a valiant 40 and he has countless tips for working on his boat. A great fellow besides!
The brickhouse is quite the boat, we watched his tours of the boat. Gave me a very good idea of what to expect with this one. Also seen him on fb here and there, you are right he seems like a great fellow.
TheRailRoader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:01   #13
Registered User
 
TheRailRoader's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: North west BC.
Posts: 104
Re: First trip :) valiant 40

And yep she is a valiant 40 from 1977
TheRailRoader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:08   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Fiji Airways/ Lake Ontario
Boat: Want a B430!
Posts: 1,246
Images: 5
Re: First trip :) valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpstevens View Post
Valiant 40? Makes me envious!!



That's what I was going to say!


To make it worse, there's still ice in the marina!




And here's somebody that's on a Valiant 40!




Argh! The pain!
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:11   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SF Bay Area (Boat in La Paz)
Boat: Valiant V40
Posts: 568
Re: First trip :) valiant 40

Congrats on the V40, great boat

s/v Kanga V40#278
__________________

jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Got my first boat and made my first trip.... riki Multihull Sailboats 4 29-03-2019 05:21
My first long trip. Maine to Florida as a first mate Kippydelaney Meets & Greets 7 10-07-2017 07:05
Finally finished my trip log for the Bahama Trip... Sumner General Sailing Forum 1 12-11-2016 16:22
New guy, first sailboat, first trip will be from Dana point to King harbor 2xcrash General Sailing Forum 44 02-06-2016 19:18
First boat, first post, first adventure. northoceanbeach Pacific & South China Sea 5 28-05-2013 18:05



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:11.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.