Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2016, 15:27   #1

Boat: Bristol 31.1
First boat!

After five years of dreaming and scheming and learning to sail -- and lots of time reading CF, among other things -- the day has finally come when I can fill in the little thingy in the profile that shows your boat. My offer on a very nice Bristol 31.1 was accepted by the current owner and a survey and sea trial is coming up shortly. Provided no dealbreakers, I'll have my first boat!

So, let me just say thanks to everyone here at the forum for sharing their experience and info. Sure, there are some tedious and tendentious discussions, and the occasional pure b.s., but for someone interested in sailing and the cruising life it's a great place to start learning what it's all about.

Even though I grew up on an island (Staten), no one on either side of my family has ever owned a boat. Dad was in the Navy WWII, but grew up inland. Mom's family were city people. So, besides observing harbor traffic during a lifetime of commuting on the famous ferry and some teenage and early 20s sailing experiences, I knew nothing. I read books for a year, then discovered this and 'that other forum', took the ASA class, joined a sailing club and logged some hours. All of which got me to this point.

While I feel confident in basic skills, it's going to be a steep learning curve and a big step up from the J24.

So, thanks again CF people. Couldn't have reached this milestone without you all!

Sully
eastendsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 15:49   #2

Re: First boat!

Cool!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 15:58   #3

Boat: wanting a cat

Congrats! be safe...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 16:01   #4

Congratulations. I can only imagine what it would be like to own a boat. I wish you the very best in your future sailing endeavors. Hopefully, one of these days I will be able to make a similar announcement.
desertsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 17:29   #5

That's a very purdy boat you have picked up. Nicely done!
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 17:33   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Congratulations...another doer on CF. Looking forward to your experience on the water and your learning curve. For most, you can only dream for so long and then have to realize the dream. While others?...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 17:37   #7

Boat: Westsail 28

Awesome boat , BRISTOL 31.1 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
At least now you don't have to worry about what to do with your spare time and money . Good luck !
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 18:17   #8

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Congratulations on your first boat. What a beauty you've chosen. Ted Hood design and Bristol built has the right stuff. May you have many happy years of sailing ahead.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote