Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 00:59   #1

Talking Finally I'm Starting

Hello all and thx for reading? Im starting my 7 day sailing lessons in galveston on the 13 will be there learning all i can. Im so excited that i wish i could leave today but cant :-(. I will be finishing up on the 18 or 19th dunno how all this goes yet but will be fresh taught and have all my licenses out of they way that i know of.. My question here tonite is, what should be some of my non-common sense questions? Yes i am one of those i know alot guys and i understand everything somewhat easy but what are some things they dont norm teach that i should ask so i know it... And if anyone in galveston area wants to show a newbie out i'm always game for an adventure... And yes i can pay my own way. 30/m with plenty of time for learning.. And i will be looking at some boats to buy for when im ready to go.... All help is appreciated

Thx Again
(Capt. one day soon) Jimbo

P.S. im kinda nervous too
Jimbo76131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:48   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
Re: Finally Im Starting

You can look at the problem of sailing as having three pillars>

Where am I?
What do I do about the other boats?
How do I get the boat to go where I want?

If the course is only about the techniques of sailing, it will only deal with 30% of the problem
Old 06-06-2011, 04:48   #3

no its courses 101-106 nav, night nav, man overboard and such.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:44   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo76131 View Post
My question here tonite is, what should be some of my non-common sense questions?
Hi Jimbo,

Sailing isn't all that dificult. The Vikings could do it. The Phonecians could do it - and look at them now in an almost civil war in their dust bowl!

Just relax and let the stuff be common sense. If its not commonsense then I think you could well raise your hand and ask 'why'?

'nav, night nav, man overboard and such' should be such common sense that once learned its ingrained.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:23   #5

I was army 13-B four years i can land nav i know cpr and i figure most of its is gonna be basic but i wanna get the certs then maybe meet a few people try some crew work on both sail and power to see really which one i wanna get
Old 06-06-2011, 06:45   #6

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

Which school are you taking your courses from?
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:13   #7

Goin To be taking them at All Points of Sail out of Seabrook, Tx.. I was told Capt John is good ... LakeSide Sailing Houston| Bay Area | Kemah Sailing | Galveston | Sailing Charters
Old 06-06-2011, 08:53   #8

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

Don't know them but its not the school that's important- its the instructor! Have fun and be sure to hit the Classic Cafe for burgers, Joe Lee's for shrimp poboys (oysters are sadly out of season) or T-Bone Toms on Fri. or Sat. Night for down home cookin and a little bit of live music.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:58   #9

i will be keepin this thread up and will hit each of these i like a cold beer and some country dancin if i can find it
Old 06-06-2011, 20:58   #10

Boat: Bystedt, 30
Sailing is a muscle, brother. Obtain the basics as you would a 101 course.

Spend time honing your sailing muscle. Feel the wind direction on your cheek. Watch the current in the tiny ripples of the tide.

You're a sailor, you'll be fine.
Catpainzmcspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 21:11   #11

thx.... im jus gettn so excited that i think im building it up to be harder than it is.. But i've been on water my whole life so i think i'm gonna enjoy it immensely. Just gettn antsy...
Old 06-06-2011, 21:36   #12

Send a message via AIM to JustinandKaitly Send a message via Skype™ to JustinandKaitly

Jimbo,

Sailing is the best time you will ever have go with the flow and enjoy it. More than anything always remember why you started in the first place. Everyone starts Sailing for there own reasons. Mine were missed guided, but I found a great love and joy in it and now am embarking on a new life with a new person and the adventure of a lifetime. The point is have fun be safe and remember sailing is about passion love and romance be it for the sea, life, or adventure all of what is happening is for you. So don't over think it and ask all the questions you want.
JustinandKaitly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:17   #13

Re: Finally I'm Starting

Thx i think that is exactly what i needed to hear. Im doin this for myself not for any other reason.. I've lived alot in my short 30 yrs no drugs but alot of things and i've always had the dream to just strap on my scuba tanks jump in and explore aswell as be able to do it from more than one place whenever i felt the need.. Needless to say that the dream is slowly becoming a reality.. Im just tired of feelin like i have to live this forced existence that is meaningless. When i should be out living the life i was always meant to. I dont wanna be 50-60 yrs old and wake up screaming inside knowing that i had a chance to live my dream and threw it away cause i was to scared to try.
Old 07-06-2011, 17:32   #14

Boat: Bystedt, 30
Jimbo,

Based on what you've said, I'd like to recommend an author for your ship's library.

I think you would enjoy the writings of Bernard Moitessier. He was a french sailor-poet-philosopher who found his home and his peace on the water.

He was easily beating Sir Robin Knox Johnston in the first solo, non-stop circumnavigation around the great capes when he changed course, quit the race and circled the globe again. He didn't care about the race. Just sailing.

You should check out his work!
Catpainzmcspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 18:44   #15

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch
Re: Finally I'm Starting

Have fun Jimbo!!!! If you have spent a lot of time on the water then a lot of the innate knowledge of the marine environment you already have awareness around...the skill of sailing is just that, a skill. It will become second nature the more you practice. I am sure you are a natural anyway.

Half of my summers were spent in Seabrook right there in the Clear Lake area from the time I was 11 right up until I was 18. It has changed so much I wouldn't know where to tell you to go for fun on your time off but I see someone has covered that already ;0)

Take care and have a great time! Enjoy being in 'Beginners Mind' and give yourself the room to explore and make mistakes, that is the territory where the best learning happens.

Can't wait to hear how it went!
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote