Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2012, 17:29   #1

Fiji Tonga to New Zealand SSB

Is there an esatablished SSB schedule now for boats sailing Fiji Tonga to new Zealand
If not how about 8143 at 0800hrs Fiji NZ time
Lets all help each other and widen our comfort zone
Report your position course and speed
Thanks
julian
liveaboardsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 03:12   #2
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Re: Fiji Tonga to New Zealand SSB

I would have thought someone such as yourself running a poorly disguised charter business would have researched the availability of SSB networks for your intended passage (or do you not want to draw attention to yourself by using the widely publicised and efficient NZ Maritime Radio?)
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 11:58   #3

Hour comments are abusive and very sad
Have you got nothing better to do than make accusations?
Offering an opportunity for people to share my lifestyle and sail can be call CHARTER if you like. They don't care what they or anyone else calls it they are happy to pay for the privilege.
As to SSB it is merely a suggestion and having involved myself in many other friendly informative scheds why not continue this activity for safty purposes
I have done research and have used google and found nothing to answer my question so thats why I posted
Please don't reply unless you have anything constructive to add, thanks
Old 27-10-2012, 13:18   #4
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveaboardsail View Post
Hour comments are abusive and very sad
Have you got nothing better to do than make accusations?
Offering an opportunity for people to share my lifestyle and sail can be call CHARTER if you like. They don't care what they or anyone else calls it they are happy to pay for the privilege.
As to SSB it is merely a suggestion and having involved myself in many other friendly informative scheds why not continue this activity for safty purposes
I have done research and have used google and found nothing to answer my question so thats why I posted
Please don't reply unless you have anything constructive to add, thanks
How do think you affect the charter boats in the various places you are making money. I'm talking about the legitimate operators whose vessels are subject to survey and stringent manning requirements as well as business costs, taxation etc? You are operating illegally and undercutting them. Do you declare to customs and immigration in the ports you visit that you are carrying fare paying passengers, because the prices you are charging are well beyond legitimate cost sharing and can only (by your own admisssion) be called charter.
I make an honest living servicing boats in the South Pacific and get tired of "cruising yachts" coming in and taking food out of the local's mouths.
Old 27-10-2012, 16:05   #5

I understand your comments and it is not my intention to disrupt charter revenue within a country. I sail people between countries. If that is taking away revenue from commercial transport such as airlines or cruise ships and the like I apologize for any dent in their income albeit very small.
As to taking income from locals i in fact contribute since I am delivering new visitors who will spend money in the country they are visiting including whilst staying on my boat. My and any other yacht sailing the world in a similar fashion to myself are doing no harm to any economy and contributing more than they are diluting.
As to my fees they are within the publicized limits which are displayed on many of the major crew seeking web sites. I don't force anyone aboard my boat and they choose to pay me what I ask of them well in advance of coming aboard.
Old 27-10-2012, 16:23   #6
cruiser

So you don't actually cruise any of the local waters with paying passengers? I struggle to believe that. I know the FIRCA views your operations as charter and so would any PI government that was aware of your activities. You are fortunate that your operation is at the lower end of the income scale therefore doesn't attract the same level of scrutiny from authorities as superyacht stuff but be advised, there have been very recent instances of vessels your size been busted for illegal charter. In a way your offending is worse than larger scale high end charters as your activities are directly impacting on grass roots businesses which are probably operating on marginal returns.
Old 27-10-2012, 16:29   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
How do think you affect the charter boats in the various places you are making money. I'm talking about the legitimate operators whose vessels are subject to survey and stringent manning requirements as well as business costs, taxation etc? You are operating illegally and undercutting them. Do you declare to customs and immigration in the ports you visit that you are carrying fare paying passengers, because the prices you are charging are well beyond legitimate cost sharing and can only (by your own admisssion) be called charter.
I make an honest living servicing boats in the South Pacific and get tired of "cruising yachts" coming in and taking food out of the local's mouths.
your comments sound a lot like jealousy,rather than any real concern for the local economy.

people crewing on cruising yachts are not the type of people who fly off for 2 weeks and charter a boat in an exotic locations.

i think you may be confusing this poster who is on a legitimate trans pacific passage,with others who hang out and try to supplement their income by doing under the table charters whilst remaining in the country,and are not on a passage.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 16:58   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
your comments sound a lot like jealousy,rather than any real concern for the local economy.

people crewing on cruising yachts are not the type of people who fly off for 2 weeks and charter a boat in an exotic locations.

i think you may be confusing this poster who is on a legitimate trans pacific passage,with others who hang out and try to supplement their income by doing under the table charters whilst remaining in the country,and are not on a passage.
Not confused atoll and certainly not jealous. I have cruised the SP extensively, chartered legitimately in NZ and am now happy pulling wrenches on boats and training people. I have had to jump through all sorts of hoops to remain legal and I object to people paying for their boats by by-passing the laws.
Old 27-10-2012, 17:04   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
Not confused atoll and certainly not jealous. I have cruised the SP extensively, chartered legitimately in NZ and am now happy pulling wrenches on boats and training people. I have had to jump through all sorts of hoops to remain legal and I object to people paying for their boats by by-passing the laws.
so what do you think is fair for crew to pay towards their board and lodgeing,without impacting on the local economy on say a 50 ft boat?
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 17:14   #10
cruiser

The value of their food and any consumables they personally use. Say 10-15 UD$/day. We all know this is excessive for anywhere a true cruising sailor will buy food except maybe FP. Any attempt to recover fixed operating costs turns it into a charter.
Too nice a day here, off to the beach.

Tags
Fiji, ssb, Tonga