Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2012, 07:07   #1

Boat: Bermuda 40, Hinckley, 1970
Female Sailor's Request for ABSOLUTE IMMUNITY

There are some extremely knowledgeable sailors on this site that I, for one, would like to be able to tap into them as a resource. However, the protracted debate, if not, total alienation of women on this site; prevents me from accessing their knowledge, expertise & life experience.

The diversity of my life experience never made me feel disadvantaged as women until I became a BOAT OWNER, two years ago. I could go on & on about my experience to date on this, but I won’t, because it would just give you an infinite amount of ‘ new material ’, for you ‘ parodies’.

Frankly, I too am known to have a sense of humor & the irony is that when I, a female, posted on the ‘how much does it cost to run a women’, in the same vane & tongue & cheek dialogue, only ONE MAN, ‘ got it ‘. That does speak volumes in my humble opinion.

I have a bit of time on my hands rehabbing it from ACL surgery & boating season is just around the corner. I would like to tap into some of the resources on this site, so, I am requesting ABSOLUTE IMMUNITY.

If, not, & no doubt, that will be apparent quickly, ‘ fair winds ’ & I will go back into my ‘ closet ’ with my Boat Owners Mechanical & Electrical Manual, Seaworthiness, ‘The forgotten Factor’, This Old Boat, Boat Navigation For the Rest of us & then, ‘Hell’ , I might even go sailing………….
Yachtmops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 07:13   #2

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Re: Female sailor's request for ABSOLUTE IMMUNITY

I'm not one of the "knowledgable" sailers, but I'll help wherever I can.

This site does have a certain orthodoxy that is rigidly enforced.

Hinckey is a nice boat, if your down in the Gulf someday look me up.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 07:16   #3

Boat: O'Day 28

Bummer that we men (wee men?) have appeared this way to you. There is a lot of joking going on here but I see serious questions getting serious answers. There are many women on CF that have proven to be real players. I can name them but I'd bet they will be chiming in soon.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 07:17   #4
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

I doubt you can get "absolute immunity", but other than that you just have to disregard some of the "advise" that gets posted. Doesn't matter what sex one is or what their knowledge or experience level is. I for one hope you stay around as I would like to see more women posts on the site.
Old 27-02-2012, 07:22   #5

Boat: rhodes,seafarer,28

Willow; No one is alienating you. You just asked the wrong question. This is a forum for and about cruising (mostly sailing vessels) and the problems and anecdotes related to that. If you have questions pertaning to sailing, anchorages, living abord, engine problems, etc.etc.etc. I'm sure you'll find the people (and there are several women who contribute a great deal) on this forum will gladly give you all kinds of advice and opinions.
capt.bobfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 07:23   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Yeah, go ahead and shoot willow... those that can't play nice, well we learn to ignore them. There are many gentleman and gentlewomen sailors around, and most of them know a lot more than I do.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 07:24   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

I was going to add something supportive and thoughtful........but couldn't be ars#d .

Stick with the gender neutral name (and post content) and avoid the threads that are entirely predictable (*What's the best boat for a clueless idiot with lots of money?)............but apart from that - it's the Internet - suck it up . (I do so on some subjects, am sure others do so as well).......but if you simply want people to agree with your own point of view - then got to expect some blood in the water .

*the answer begins with a C - and ends with an N.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 07:28   #8

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Never mind the bollocks, go sailing.

There's been many, many excellent female sailors. Beryl Smeaton, Tanya Aebi, Ellen MacArthur, the woman who sailed that Southern Cross...the list goes on.

I am more interested in the block and tackle on the boat, if you follow. The sea will kill unskilled humans without prejudice one way or another, and, like the sea, I consider the sex of a sailor of little import if they can work their boat in a seamanlike manner.

And no, I don't say "seawomanlike" as a PC accommodation. The distinction is irrelevant. So is much time spent dissecting the superannuated attitudes of the sort of armchair admirals, couch commodores and dock kings that tend to sport sexist attitudes. Some men need to get a calendar along with a sailing life.

The Bermuda 40 is a great boat, by the way. It's got the stowage of a more modern 33 footer, but it's got the style of the ages.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 07:31   #9
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
I'm not one of the "knowledgable" sailers, but I'll help wherever I can.

This site does have a certain orthodoxy that is rigidly enforced.

Hinckey is a nice boat, if your down in the Gulf someday look me up.

Sorry, Bill, but treating women like second class citizens isn't "orthodoxy." it's bigotry.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 07:35   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
Bummer that we men (wee men?) have appeared this way to you. There is a lot of joking going on here but I see serious questions getting serious answers. There are many women on CF that have proven to be real players. I can name them but I'd bet they will be chiming in soon.

It will look that way to whom the half of the race the words aren't targeted toward (and no, I'm not someone who goes around "looking for chauvinism," and I too am a very funny person in real life).

The women may well chime in, but when this sort of thing colors a conversation, it trivializes and sometimes derails the conversation. WHY do we have to be proven to be "real players," by the way? EVERYONE here has varying levels of experience and knowledge. There is no one here who knows everything, and I think rank beginners should be welcome -- male or female, and free of gratuitous harassment that some may mistake as their being "humorous."
Old 27-02-2012, 07:39   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I was going to add something supportive and thoughtful........but couldn't be ars#d .

Stick with the gender neutral name (and post content) and avoid the threads that are entirely predictable (*What's the best boat for a clueless idiot with lots of money?)............but apart from that - it's the Internet - suck it up . (I do so on some subjects, am sure others do so as well).......but if you simply want people to agree with your own point of view - then got to expect some blood in the water .

*the answer begins with a C - and ends with an N.

But this isn't just the internet. It's a group of people who have been together for years and who happen to use the Internet to communicate, and when someone who is part of a group of a group important to you trivializes you, it stings. I'd like to hear ONE man tell her "You're right, and we should start politely steering things back when that happens."

That would be so refreshing!
Old 27-02-2012, 07:39   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

The internet is one place where you do not have to be a woman if you do not want to be, all you have to do is post that you are a man. No one will know the difference. Maybe you should try this to see if you are truly being descriminated against. I for one have taken some advise given from what appears to be woman on this site. In my view advise is advise, you have to be the one who determains its value. I have always said that advise is worth what you pay for it.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 07:41   #13

Boat: CN35 - 1960 35' steel yawl

If you let that thread determine your experience with this site then I think you are doing yourself a great disservice. You'll miss the myriad of other great threads that I, for one, have learned a great deal from. I don't post a lot but I read most everything. There is lot's of chaff, to be sure, but you just pick through it. Men are men, boys are boys, etc., etc., and boaters tend to be a bit more free with their weirdness then dirt dwellers I've found. (I included myself in that, for the record ) Pick what you fancy and leave the rest. Cheers and good luck with your healing and heeling!
Old 27-02-2012, 07:42   #14

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

Willow:

Why do you have to hold your gender out like a red flag. Re-register with a gender neutral user name (Willow is a bit feminine) and don't look back. No one will know or care.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 07:43   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewiseperson
... A GOOD women knows that a man can't possible understand what she is trying to say, even if he is trying...
So, what is it that you want, that you haven't received, here on CF?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote