Re: Female sailor's request for ABSOLUTE IMMUNITY

Willow,

I like you--unconditionally. .
Old 28-02-2012, 05:09   #77
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Male sailor's request for ABSOLUTE IMMATURITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
easy tiger! though not sexist your post may be interpreted as being confrontational
The irony being that 6 pages of responses trying (succeeding?) in making OP feel welcome is arguably in itself sexist......

.......If OP was a fella (and for all we actually know she maybe), the responses would have been shorter. probably 2 words. with the second word being "Off".....well, at least mine would have .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 05:21   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyjean View Post
Just ignore the insults and use what makes sense. Some people love to bash anyone they may disagree with. Most are willing to help anyway they can.
DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!

The above applies to ALL internet forums (fora?). If you can't ignore the petty insults and the occasional poster with serious personality disorders (and this board has far less of that than most) then you probably need to just stay away from the internet. It is what it is.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 05:33   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow View Post
this does raise the question as to why the majority of users of this site remain in the ‘closet ’.
That's the way ALL of these kinds of sites are. I read some time back that on a forum like this one you can generally assume that there are at least 5 "lurkers" for every one person who posts. On many the percentage of lurkers is far higher.

Again, the internet is what it is. If this site is different from most in any particular way, it is in that there is far LESS of the sexism, bashing, and trolling that is so very common on some sites.

Maybe think of it like a big, public cocktail party. There are a number of people who wander around, listen in now and then, but never say anything. There are a few who have to say something about everything, who want to pick arguments with everyone, and generally just make asses of themselves (though, of course, they mostly imagine themselves to be impressing everyone with how very witty they are--little do they know the REAL impression they are giving!). And then there are the majority--the ones who are considerate of others, who offer their opinions when they feel it is appropriate, and who really just want to enjoy themselves and help others do the same.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 05:42   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
There's women here?

When the hell did that happen? Ever since I quit being a mod this place has run to pot and they'll let anyone in...

Seriously - I am very slow on the uptake. I'll argue with someone for three pages before I get the clue that they are a woman.

My first interaction with Jedi I was convinced he was a girl. He argued like my ex wife for three pages!

Boy rereading that makes me look sexist! Oh, well bi-curious and sexist.

See they let anyone in here....
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 05:43   #81
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow View Post
...For any & all sailors who are sitting in their ‘ closet’, my email is yachtmops ( at ) yahoo.ca I love listening to sailors sea faring adventures & their tales of dragon slayers, buried treasure, voices whispering at sea, visions of ghost ships passing in the nite & about their strange experiences in the Bermuda triangle. Don’t be shy !
So, you've heard them, too. Made me wonder about my sanity at first, but after I got used to them, I found them rather soothing.
Old 28-02-2012, 05:51   #82
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
There's women here?

When the hell did that happen? Ever since I quit being a mod this place has run to pot and they'll let anyone in...

Seriously - I am very slow on the uptake. I'll argue with someone for three pages before I get the clue that they are a woman.

My first interaction with Jedi I was convinced he was a girl. He argued like my ex wife for three pages!

Boy rereading that makes me look sexist! Oh, well bi-curious and sexist.

See they let anyone in here....
Perhaps after 6 pages almost all on topic, you collectively might excuse some TD.
Ex-C, I never realized your ex was dutch
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 06:05   #83
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
The irony being that 6 pages of responses trying (succeeding?) in making OP feel welcome is arguably in itself sexist......

.......If OP was a fella (and for all we actually know she maybe), the responses would have been shorter. probably 2 words. with the second word being "Off".....well, at least mine would have .
i love it when you show your sensative side
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 06:08   #84
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
...Ex-C, I never realized your ex was dutch
I have a rule that saves me a lot of heartburn--never argue with a Dutchman. They're like bulldogs. They never give up.

p.s. not referring to any particular CF members, just making a statement from my experience over the years.
Old 28-02-2012, 06:35   #85

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Female sailor's request for ABSOLUTE IMMUNITY

I was an early apologist and proferred: "There are many women on CF that have proven to be real players." However, Willow found that offensive. All that was meant by "player" was someone who seems to know what they're talking about. Ya gotta work at finding that sexist imo. Buck up.

Along the advice of many posters, I think I'd re-register as an a non-gender specific yet gritty entity. Maybe: Tufteakie.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 07:31   #86

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
..........We have an older population carrying a lifetime of lame sexist humour with them as well.

Short of remaking the human race there isn't much to be done but ignore it I think.
Well stated.

BTW, I think the idea postulated of choosing of a gender neutral name to hide the fact that one is female is silly. Some men need to get over themselves. Two boats on our current dock are owned by women. Oh, the times...they are a'changing.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 07:33   #87

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:

...ain't that the truth...Far to much energy on this one!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 08:13   #88

Boat: Tartan 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"...... But when you chose a traditionally male bastion as your venue.....".

Just tried to get up to date on this thread and had to reply to this statement by HELLOSAILOR.

Other than needlework in the parlor, what "venue" is not "traditionally male bastioned"?

Just because we come late to the game and bring along a subset of feminine qualities and attributes and some emotion does not mean we should be treated less. We arrived late to the game, because we were not "permitted" to take part any sooner. We (women) didn't have the right to vote until August 26, 1920!

I am not "burning my bra" here and I am in MANY ways a "traditional" wife and mother -- but that is because I CHOOSE to be. I am also employed as a full-time healthcare professional and there is most assuredly a glass ceiling in the professional world -- another, as you say, "venue traditionally male bastioned."

I make no attempt on this forum or anywhere else in the world to hide my gender -- nor will I EVER do so. I am sensitive, loving, and caring and I make no attempt to hide that either. Sensitive means -- sensitive to other people's feelings -- NOT thin skinned. I am, assertive and will assert myself as needed. Many of the posters on this forum are aggressive, not assertive:

"Assertive people state their opinions, while still being respectful of others. Aggressive people attack or ignore others' opinions in favor of their own."

Yes, there are many smart sailors on this forum who happen to be women. However, they sometimes act like men (one in particular) so they will be accepted in this "male bastioned venue." Fortunately, I have discovered there are a few different factions on this forum and you soon know "where you fall" and you avoid the other factions and hopefully, they avoid you. Hmmm, this sounds like the "rest" of life.

Thank you,
Darby (Female)
Cruising Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 08:25   #89

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27

Quote:
FWIW, I do get my bottom smacked by the Mods now and again ...
Quote:
Anyway, that's my final $5 and 27 cents on this thread
You'll need more for a really good chastising, our rates have gone up.
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 08:28   #90

Boat: Tartan 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
You'll need more for a really good chastising, our rates have gone up.

Hysterical Janet H.
Cruising Couple is offline   Reply With Quote