Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2012, 09:39   #31

Re: Female sailor's request for ABSOLUTE IMMUNITY

This site is the roughest on people I've seen. A lot of firm fixed opinions live here.... and yes, even harder at times on women. It's too bad. I'm proud to say I have avoided the "what does a women cost" post like the plague. Hope you stick around. Good Luck!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 09:39   #32

Boat: Privilege 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Just read your addition to that thread .

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post896311 - Post 542

But I really don't understand your above only ONE MAN comment .....since your post (yesterday) there have only been 4 more posts!

- One of those was from you!
- Another was by someone clearly (by the use of quotes) talking to someone else.
- One posted a complimentary response (the ONE MAN? - although I don't know that person's gender).
- and the other talked about your operation.

For an old thread, not so bad. Not sure what else you were expecting .....but certainly don't see anything to complain about, save for the fact that it would have been nice for a post that you clearly had put some time and effort into to have generated a bit more of a response. But that's da internets for ya.....sometimes it is hit and miss, and always what you make of it.

If CF was not so keen on the "play nice" rule - I would suggest (rather robustly ) that this thread was somewhat troll-like (IMO nothing wrong with that - if done well ).........but on the off chance, that your complaint is genuine, I will just add.............
Absolutely! I too read the thread you are complaining about and I see ZERO evidence of anyone taking you to task or making an issue of you being a woman. So that leads me to believe that you are possibly 1)coming to this board with some history and prior experiences that may be coloring your perceptions; 2) a touch thin skinned or 3) looking to make waves intentionally. Time will tell. But I hope your intentions are genuine and that we can help you with your questions.
teneicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 10:05   #33

Boat: Reinell 26 "Tobi Maru

I am up-to-date on the "run a women" thread. Willow, I'll offer this; Many of us, like you, have had our share of not so great encounters with our choice in mates (not ship mates specifically) Being in relationships requires one to let your guard down, to trust the other person. That being said, when some thing goes wrong it can be maximum damage. The person that was once closest to us is in a great position to inflict damage simply for the sake of hurting them, and they often do. I sense the "humor" here is directed to the past, to the ex, and to ourselves for compromising the dream for another. I enjoyed the topic, had some good laughs at others expense, i was amused by your post too, although difficult to "hear" tone. I think it hit a sore spot for you. There is a reason we sail...
Danosimp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 10:17   #34

Boat: Pearson 34-II

The best answer has already been provided by one of America's philosophical giants a.k.a. "The Godfather."
James Brown - It's A Man's Man's Man's World - YouTube
rognvald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 10:32   #35
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
This site is the roughest on people I've seen.
ROTFLAMO . I guess we have differing perceptions..........for me CF is the tamest forum I have ever been on.

.........Come on over .

- just ask for Santa .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 10:39   #36
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Willow, you will probably find misogynists everyplace including the lady's room these days. But when you chose a traditionally male bastion as your venue...like the first females at West Point or sportscasters in NFL locker rooms, you've got to thicken your hide. That's the venue, do with it as you will. Stick around and you may be able to change it, but if you leave--you've endorsed it.

CF has some of the "most PG13" policies of any forum I've seen. If you don't like what someone has to say, use the squelch button on them. There must be one in the user options, someplace.

Absolute imminuty? Speak to the Pope, Papal Dispensation is not available on this forum.

Only one man got it? Either everyone is clueless, or perhaps, your message wasn't clear. Consider the odds. It is in the nature of web forums and written communications that they will always have some ambiguity and uncertain meaning, unless the writer is an exceptional communicator. Most of us would expect a need to post clarifications from time to time, especially is only ONE of whatever audience "gets it".
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 10:41   #37

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha Willow,

"Frankly, I too am known to have a sense of humor & the irony is that when I, a female, posted on the ‘how much does it cost to run a women’, in the same vane & tongue & cheek dialogue, only ONE MAN, ‘ got it ‘. That does speak volumes in my humble opinion."

Just to let you know that I never opened the thread that you started because the title made me think that it was just another stupid sexist thread. So, of course, I never "got it."

Sorry to hear you've gotten so many negative vibes.

kind regards,
Old 27-02-2012, 11:01   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

Halas....... I think Willow ran away from us.
What a pity.
And I'm sincere and not sarcastic.
Old 27-02-2012, 11:02   #39
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

My female customers are some of the best I have.

I find their vessels to be well kept and not subject to some of the
"jerry rigging" that I have seen on many boats.

BTW my niece is one of the best sailboat handlers I have seen.
It is a pleasure to have her at the tiller
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 11:19   #40

Boat: Grampian 26

I think saying you have a chip on your shoulder and then demanding fair play when your clearly not planning on it is some what closed minded coming from a guy or girl the result is usually the same.
They are going to be offended no matter what is said.
So Willow what happened TWO Years ago when you bought your boat, that has spurned you so ??
As for the " what it cost to run a women" Well let's just say that my wife is high maintenance in some areas and I was somewhat afraid to read it as it may well hold what could possibly be coming down the road, so I choose to leave that stone un-turned.
What I can tell you about the crew here is that there are some very smart skippers here be them girls or guys they have earned my respect and in the end thats all that really matters, i can sort the chaff from the wheat pretty quickly.
I wish you a warm welcome to CF and hope you do decide to punch in the time card and enjoy yourself here and offer info to many new and old alike
Old 27-02-2012, 11:28   #41

Boat: Bermuda 40, Hinckley, 1970

I am laughing…. I think my post got lost in ‘ translation’, or at least the point did on ‘how much does it cost to run a women’, Moving on now….

Gord May, I have not been discriminated on CF because I have not posted. I have been reading the forums for two years and taking notes! I’ve stayed in the closet because I have found that the sentiment on CF filled with toooo many stereotypical slights on women. As a new boat owner with the added ‘ female’ factor, it seemed to me a ‘ tad ‘ bit risky to ask ‘ stupid questions’.

From my perspective and experience since I bought my boat, I have been amazed by the attitudes in a general way in the sailing community. It is still very much a male dominated endeavourer. CF sentiment appeared to reinforce that attitude I have run up against in Marinas, Boatyards, Yacht clubs and so, on.

I am not going to engage in a debate here, for those who think there is some truth in what I raised, hope you don’t mind if I tap into your extensive knowledge. If there is no truth in my observations, then I will gladly accept responsibility and concede that my experiences have clouded my judgment and that I look forward to a bit of wisdom.

A tiny bit about me:

The first delivery I ever did was on Nirvana, a 65 ‘ wooden Hinckley, out of Newport on her maiden voyage offshore in twenty years. It was those first four days offshore in a gale that I developed a profound respect for the power of Mother Nature and a love affair with offshore sailing. I am comfortable offshore, but I am far less comfortable coastal sailing and docking a full keel boat in some places, is terrifying.

p.s.
Gord May, for what its worth, your one of the people on this site I would not think twice about giving you my keys to the boat and tell you go, enjoy, she is a great boat. Though, before, you left the dock, I’d want to talk to you about a few problems I may be having!!!
Yachtmops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 11:31   #42

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Yeah, go ahead and shoot willow... those that can't play nice, well we learn to ignore them. There are many gentleman and gentlewomen sailors around, and most of them know a lot more than I do.
Uh.. I don't have anything in particular against her Newt, so why'd ya want me to shoot her??
Tbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 11:48   #43

Boat: Reinell 26 "Tobi Maru

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
ROTFLAMO . I guess we have differing perceptions..........for me CF is the tamest forum I have ever been on.

.........Come on over .

- just ask for Santa .
WOW! you were not kidding, I guess I wont come over there with a gift basket, an expandable batton would be more appropriate! thanks this will be fun.
Old 27-02-2012, 11:56   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

The neat thing about CF as you have men and women from all round the world posting. Between the different social economical perspectives, from stinking rich to very poor boat bum-etes, Its really a melting pot. There is just going to be different perspectives.... which I respect. Well most of the time....

I know that when I post on a guy centric forum like engines, electrical or plumbing, I'm going to get a few people who think that that blonde chic can't possibly know anything. OK probably alot of people.... Always like proving them wrong (ok sometimes they are right too... blonde happens).

Still there is a common love of boating, be it sailing or power, mono or cat or tri. Thats why we are here.... its all good....

Forums by nature will sometimes turn into a shouting match, just because people are people. I have to agree with DOJ, that as forums go, this one is pretty tame...
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 12:16   #45

Sounds to me like Willow is looking for affirmation. A couple of "?" posts on two "?" threads doesn't seem to warrant self-flagellation to me. Men women and posters are mixed bags seems to me.
chris_gee is offline   Reply With Quote