Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 05:58   #181

Boat: Bermuda 40, Hinckley, 1970
Re: Female Sailor's Request for ABSOLUTE IMMUNITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
as a matter of interest,and since we are on the subject of inequality,how come one never see's any black people cruising on their own vessels?

is it a cultural thing? or are cruisers,not only sexist but racist as well!! (tongue in cheek)

in 30 years of cruising i can only think of 3 people of african roots that i've met that could be called active cruisers!(not including all the wonderful boat boy's and others who work on the sea)
Atoll

There good be a very loooong thread on that topic !

I bought my boat in the Caribbean & the man who was working hard on the rigging/replacing chain plates and so on had FOUR children. ( there is no, omg, four children, you are a better person than I, can't imagine icon )

So before I left to go north, I told him, go get your family & lets go sailing. He said and I quote. ‘ noooo, the last place I want to be on my time off is on a BOAT.! ‘
Yachtmops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:10   #182

Boat: 1970 morgan 28

good morning !!! as a "new" capt'n of a small ship,my advice is; KEEP POSTING !!!! all knowledge is good knowledge,however DO NOT just take it as gospel ,do some research on each subject then carefully choose your "path" like carpenters say "measure twice but only cut once" ,also my kind of general thinking for this type of thing is " simple minds simple pleasures" ,gender is NOT a restriction on knowledge,most of those types ,will still NOT sail to the sunset for fear of falling off LMAO !!!!! just ask -there are no stupid questions !!!! "enjoy your day's,and,remember your night's" "the only EASYDAY,was,YESTERDAY" later zenkayaker capt'n of the MOKEN
zenkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:34   #183

Boat: Bermuda 40, Hinckley, 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachtmops View Post
Atoll

There good be a very loooong thread on that topic !

I bought my boat in the Caribbean & the man who was working hard on the rigging/replacing chain plates and so on had FOUR children. ( there is no, omg, four children, you are a better person than I, can't imagine icon )

So before I left to go north, I told him, go get your family & lets go sailing. He said and I quote. ‘ noooo, the last place I want to be on my time off is on a BOAT.! ‘
Edit : ooopos... That would there ' could ' ' Not ' good' a very long thread. Atoll
Yachtmops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:39   #184

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
as a matter of interest,and since we are on the subject of inequality,how come one never see's any black people cruising on their own vessels?

is it a cultural thing? or are cruisers,not only sexist but racist as well!! (tongue in cheek)

in 30 years of cruising i can only think of 3 people of african roots that i've met that could be called active cruisers!(not including all the wonderful boat boy's and others who work on the sea)
That is an interesting question. My ex GF was from South Africa, and she told me she knows of no black South Africans that can swim; the same is told to me by friends in the U.S.

I can't believe that it is just an economic thing, as many blacks in the U.S. are of middle class and not ghetto dwellers.

Talking about race, she also told me of a co-worker of hers who was originally from Ethiotpia.

I guess he went through Immigration/Border Control coming back from a visit to family in Ethiopia. Customs official wanted him to fill out some form, and one of the questions was "race".

He looked, and looked for "black" or "negro", and couldn't find it. Custom official insisted he had to check "African-American". He argued, that he wasn't an African (there is no such country) and certainly not American, as he was Canadian. Lots of back and forth, but in the end he told ex-GF that the incident was the first time anyone questioned his blackness.

Gotta love the politically correct U. S. of A.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:45   #185

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:

Have you been to the Chesapeake Bay or Chicago lately..... Universal Sailing Club - African-American Sailing

BCS
Old 01-03-2012, 08:46   #186

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I wondered how long it would take for the women to start discussing shoes.....

Shoes are highly over rated...

Community Rules | Advertise on Cruisers Forum
Contribute to Cruisers Wiki | Document your Adventures at Sail Blogs
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:25   #187
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Lots of back and forth, but in the end he told ex-GF that the incident was the first time anyone questioned his blackness.
Had a Census here last year. I declared myself as Black (the rules in these parts are much like the UK you are whatever you think you are ). They didn't have a box for MYOB .

In your mates shoes I would have ticked the box for Chinese .

Times passed I used to see a lot of Birth Certificates from around the world, always found it a bit disturbing to see folks (babies!) classified by Race.....and also sometimes by religion. To my mind the less any Govt knows about those things the better....as those things don't always turn out well.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:29   #188
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
But thigh length leather boots with 6 inch heels on the other hand......

Just sayin'
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:02   #189
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Female sailor's request for ABSOLUTE IMMUNITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
... Cannot we all be free to post what we feel about anything ...
Wouldn't that also allow someone else to feel (& post) that one should "harden up", or whatever?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:03   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
But thigh length leather boots with 6 inch heels on the other hand......

Just sayin'
Hey DOJ i know that you are going liveabord (ish), Have you been cleaning out your closet
Old 01-03-2012, 13:19   #191

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Question.

Why is there a much higher percentage of female posters that have a pic of themselves as avitars?
Old 01-03-2012, 13:48   #192

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Question.

Why is there a much higher percentage of female posters that have a pic of themselves as avitars?
Now that is a good question! Could it be the "flirt" factor? It works for me.

I generally don't flirt with guys (s/v Jedi an exception, but I'm just flirting with his boat, not Nick).
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 14:12   #193
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
And yet you wear 'em when stepping out of the dinghy....
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 14:15   #194
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
We have ignore buttons?...PLEASE!...tell me where!
Top left option on the menu bar, USER CP, look down the left side for EDIT IGNORE LIST.

Therapy?
"Why is there a much higher percentage of female posters that have a pic of themselves as avitars?"
And what makes you certain these alleged self-styled women aren't, say, cross-dressers or trans-sexuals just trying to pick up a sailor, as they would in any port?

All this male-female talk is, frankly, a violation of the forum's "be nice" rule. There are after all FIVE human genders. Male, female, and three, yes three, types of hermaphrodites. Now if you take five genders, treat them all equally, and add in the number of trans-sexual options sugrically available these days...I'm not sure how many separate restrooms and plumbing fixtures that requires, but the odds are virtually 100% that at least SOME of the forum members are neither male nor female in the usual sense.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 14:29   #195
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
.........but the odds are virtually 100% that at least SOME of the forum members are neither male nor female in the usual sense.
In the spirt of keeping the one liners flowing thick and fast (although probably violating the number one rule), I note that those of us who know most about any particular subject are the first to post about it.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote