Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 09:59   #1
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Fellow Cruiser on East Coast Needs Some Aid, Please . . .

Hi Karen,
I lost two anchors in the second day and hoped the third would hold until the waters receded, it did. What I did not know was that anchor was gone also; I just needed to cut the chain to free myself. My primary anchor was on all chain and tangled in an old barge. After three days of trying to free myself I called for help but even the pros could not get me free. On Saturday evening I cut the chain and it slid into the depths and I was free to leave. I stayed the night and got an early start in the morning, it was about 2 miles to the Hudson River and when I entered the river I ask myself if maybe I was leaving to early. The river was more a moving debris field. Never in my life had I ever seen anything like it. The entire river was the color brown, trees, logs, and limbs you name it of all sizes floated around and I had to steer around large areas that had collected. I only covered 40 miles that day but I was as tired as if I had covered 60. After a night anchored I left early with the hope of making New YorkHarbor by mid day, again the river was as the day before but it gets wider and the debris was more widespread. I had several logs just under the surface bump along the hull and one the prop hit but no harm was done that I can tell. I went through the Narrows and into the clean waters of the Atlantic, how nice to be out of the river. I motored about an hour to Great Kill harbor on StantonIsland to anchor and wait for a good weather window so I can head for the Delaware Bay, My next stop will be in Annapolis for the boat show where I hope to work for a few weeks and build my winter kitty. I priced out new anchors and chain along with other lost and broken equipment and about 4k should cover it. But I feel lucky, a lot of boats were lost, I still have mine and I am alive.
Take care,
Ken

this man is a good soul who was crusing and irene got him up the hudson river.

as he states, he will be headed to annapolis for boat show.

does anyone in the area have spare ground tackle to sell him?? i have asked him to send me more info on what he lost and size of chain...
please help!!

anyone interested, please contact so i can give his email address and boat name....

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:15   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: fellow cruiser on east coast needs some aid, please...

I have all sorts of anchors Zee... but shipping would just about negate their value!
Old 08-09-2011, 10:18   #3

ken is on east coast-- working his way from |ny to annapolis for boat show----there could be a meet up for anyone in such a position either along his way or in annapolis?
Old 08-09-2011, 11:27   #4

Boat: FP Athena 38

I am headed to the Boat show. I work it every year. I am in MA right now. Should be in Annapolis by the end of the month. I will be in NYC in a few days (that where I grew up) Where is he now? I have good boating contacts in NYC and Annapolis. I will ask my husband if we have any extra "Stuff" on board too.
Cats Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 13:08   #5

cat's eye--ken is in great kill...."Zee can you tell Cats Eye that I am in Great Kill and would like to meet them if they are close by."

here is what he lost in irene off hudson river...
he setup I had was: 25lb CQR 30 feet of grade 40 5/15 chain and 120 feet of ¾ nylon 3 strand.
35lb CQR 50 feet of grade 40 5/16 chain and 200 feet of ¾ nylon 3 strand
33 Bruce 200 feet of grade 40 5/16 chain
was originals not copies....
thankyou.
Old 08-09-2011, 15:33   #6

Boat: FP Athena 38

I do not have anything on my boat that could help him but I have a call into boatie friend in City Island to see what is around there. If not I can hook him up in Annapolis with other boaties. I will get back to you as soon as I hear something. Also feel free to pass along my email to him. kirsten2755@gmail.com

We know what it is like to loose pieces of your boat/gear from storms. We will help anyway we can
Cats Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 15:59   #7

Boat: Gibson 50', Columbia 8.3, Harbor 20, Hunter 14, Trac 16, Several Lasers

I have a spare 25# Delta Plow and if anyone heading his way from South Florida ( Either by land or sea ) I would be willing to send it along.
offline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 16:09   #8

more news from ken at staten island..

"The day started normal enough, up at 0445 put on coffee and heat some water to wash up and shave, toast for breakfast and it’s a good start to the day. Mother Nature had other ideas, a micro burst just for fun. Now I just lost most of my ground tackle in Irene so what I have is basic. When the blast hit breakfast went in every direction, the wind hit on the port quarter and the boat sailed forward over the anchor. Making it for the helm I started the engine and tried to get the bow into the wind. My dingy was not any help, it had been raining for two days and it had a lot of water in it creating drag. The anchor re-set and the bow came up into the wind, only 50 feet off the beach of rocks, I used the engine to help hold position. It only lasted 2 or 3 minutes, I wanted about 10 minutes and pulled anchor and moved and re-set a safe distance from shore. The rest of the day was sunny with a 10 knot wind from the east. I dried things in the warm sun and drained the water from the dingy, deflated it and stowed it on deck, my next leg is 200 miles and I don’t like towing a dingy. I am currently in GreatKillsHarbor, Staten Island."

catseye--i will send him your email. thankyou...

offline--- he will be working his way toward annapolis after staten island...

Tags
cruiser, east coast