Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-06-2017, 15:27   #1

Extended stay in USA (Great Loop)

I am a Canadian citizen living in British Columbia. Upon my impending retirement I would like to sail the Great Loop.

The plan calls for purchasing a boat somewhere around the Great Lakes. Spend some time preparing it then sail down south through Lake Michigan. The sailing plan will likely take a year or so.

Looking at US immigration web page it seems to apply for a B2 visitor visa I can only stay as long as the immigration officer upon my arrival deems fit. So after all that preparation I could potentially either be turned back or be limited to a 6 month stay.

I guess 6 months could work if I carried on south to Mexico or Panama then reapplied for another 6 months upon my return but if I wanted to stay in US waters the whole year what are my odds of doing so.

I will have adequate income that I don't need (or want) to work. I have no past brushes with the law and have made numerous trips to the US in the past but never for more than a week or two.
Anyone have some insight? What are the laws regarding extended tourism?
Old 13-06-2017, 16:10   #2

Boat: Peterson 34
Re: Extended stay in USA (Great Loop)

You need an i94 permit. You can get it online. 6 months only then you need to leave and come back. You don't have to go home just out of the US then re-enter to get another one. Lots of flights to choose from. Take your pick.

The immigration officer at the border has the final say on allowing you in. 6 months is the maximum stay under your visa. Don't expect the immigration officer to know what the great loop is or even believe in it if you try to explain it. Even US citizens get hassled at the border entering their own country.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: