Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2016, 12:32   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
EU Rules Linking can be illegal

I feel this is a very dangerous precedent and is of vital importance to all of us on CF. I urge you all to read up on this and be ready to stand up against this form of internet censorship.

https://openmedia.org/en/disappointi...internet-users

Quote:
The Court of Justice of the European Union has ruled that it can be illegal for websites merely to link to copyrighted content, even if they don’t host such content themselves.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:40   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: EU Rules Linking can be illegal

They'll surely have "fun" enforcing that one. As it would practically necessitate shutting down the internet, as well as virtually all social media.
So while I've not read all of the info in the link, corporations will likely kill this quickly. Since it will be a killer for them in terms of advertising & revenue. Both formal advertising, & informal. Which the latter probably generates more revenue than the former. So...

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 13:33   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

They think they can control what people do on the internet? Good luck with that!
Old 08-09-2016, 13:38   #4

There's always a balancing act between liberty in expression vs. protection of IP. If your entire "innocent" site involves providing links for almost always providing illegal or IP violating content, of course you should be potentially liable.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 13:48   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

It's dealing with for profit websites that link to pirated software, music, etc. on another website, that do so for profit.

https://www.ft.com/content/a1125e96-...a-de4532d5ea35

Lets hope this does not bite me in the posterior
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 14:31   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

sailorchic34, its more broadreaching than that I think.
Quote:
Links are the lifeblood of the Internet, and this ruling will have a chilling effect on our right to share and access information freely. Nobody should need to worry about being sued merely for linking to freely available content. Forcing people to pass complex legal tests before sharing links is just unworkable.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 14:38   #7

Boat: Catalina 30

Don't fret folks. There is absolutely no reason to be concerned with powerful central authorities regulating expression. It is for the good of the children.
The Garbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 14:40   #8

Boat: Mirage 35

I've read a couple of news stories on this; the one on openmedia.org is more alarmist than most.

There will be many more court cases before the boundaries are clearly established.
Old 08-09-2016, 14:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I feel this is a very dangerous precedent and is of vital importance to all of us on CF. I urge you all to read up on this and be ready to stand up against this form of internet censorship.

Quote:
The Court of Justice of the European Union has ruled that it can be illegal for websites merely to link to copyrighted content, even if they don’t host such content themselves.
https://openmedia.org/en/disappointi...internet-users
This is such a cop-out on the part of the EU. While I have no problem with the reasonable protection of IP, attacking those who link to instead of those who actually host infringing material is definitely a bad precedent.

(sort of like politicians attacking illegal immigrants instead of the companies that hire them. Did I just say that? Yes I did )

It remains to be seen if this is just a convenience tool to shut down linksites, or whether it is the thin edge of the wedge... but again it's a bad precedent.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 22:39   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Our current Commander and Chief is in the process of turning over control of the internet to these Euro Bureaucrats and their ilk throughout the world. Like censorship and bureaucratic meddling just to gratify their need to control everything down to your bowel movements, wait till next week.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:05   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Our current Commander and Chief is in the process of turning over control of the internet to these Euro Bureaucrats and their ilk throughout the world. Like censorship and bureaucratic meddling just to gratify their need to control everything down to your bowel movements, wait till next week.
We have a "commander in chief"? Thought the guy that use to be in charge has decided to ignore his responsibilities since he will be kicked out of office soon.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:49   #12

Please read the press release of the European Court of Justice before spewing too much non-sense
http://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/d...cp160092en.pdf
Numawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:03   #13

Boat: Valiant 42

I don't get a lot of comfort from the ruling itself. It seems to say a for profit site would be presumed guilty of copyright infringement via a link and at the same time a non-profit site would be innocent. Is this how the ruling reads?
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:21   #14

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Enforcement on things like CF, for copy write infringement, would not only be difficult but not worth the effort. The president of such a ruling is scary.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:26   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
I don't get a lot of comfort from the ruling itself. It seems to say a for profit site would be presumed guilty of copyright infringement via a link and at the same time a non-profit site would be innocent. Is this how the ruling reads?
The ruling is far narrower than that. This is actually pretty similar to the US process.

You can post anything you want, including any links that you choose. If the copyright holder contacts you and says 'that data is ours and has been posted without our consent' then you have an obligation to remove the links. YouTube deals with this by the thousands every day (see take down notices).

The presumption is that any link can be posted, and that it is fair game. But if the copyright holder informs you that it is illegal, and you choose not to do anything you can be on the hook. Which sounds like a pretty fair way to handle it (with some concern around the edges).

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
legal, rule