Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2018, 12:48   #1

Boat: 2005 Hunter 33
Elk River, MD on a 4.5 draft sailboat?

I am hoping someone on here is familiar with the upper Elk River, MD beyond the C&D canal. My family has a house rented in the upper portion of the Elk River for a vacation this Summer, I would like to bring my 33' sailboat , 4.5' draft to someplace near the upper portion of the Elk River, so we could have access to it for some day trips. It looks like there is a channel leading to Triton Marina, which is close to where I will be staying, but I can't find a chart showing the depth of the channel or any possible shoaling? Does anyone have any idea if it would be possible to take my sailboat that far up the Elk River? And if so can anyone recommend any good anchorages? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
jackjb53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 13:22   #2

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5
Re: Elk River, MD on a 4.5 draft sailboat?

Jack,

I not sure how navigable the Elk will be for you. I haven't gone in there myself. My boat draws 4.5 feet, as well. Call Boat US for that area and ask them. I do that frequently in areas of the bay I am concerned about. They are typically very nice.

I can tell you that your boat will be fine in the Bohemia river, and there is a small marina there. It's not the Elk, but it should be an easy drive.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 13:50   #3

Thanks Bensolomon,
I was thinking that might be an alternative. And you are right, doesn't look like too far a drive.
regards,
Jack
Old 22-06-2018, 14:10   #4

Where are you sailing from?
Old 23-06-2018, 07:49   #5

Bensolomon,
I'm sailing out of Middle River, MD. I keep my boat at Baltimore Yacht Club.
Jack
Old 23-06-2018, 07:59   #6

You know the bay , then. Have fun!
Old 23-06-2018, 09:19   #7

First thought is for you to contact the Triton Marina for local knowledge. My chart, which is aged shows some holes deep enough, however it only show 3' in the majority remaining areas I would think preventing access to the holes. Deeper at the mouth, but advise as others have indicated to use the Bohemia River options.
winjamerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 09:43   #8

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by winjamerk View Post
First thought is for you to contact the Triton Marina for local knowledge.
This sounds like the best idea. A Google Earth view of the marina shows a number of larger powerboats moored there, but I see no larger sailboats.

Triton Marina: Cecil County MD Boat/Yacht Sales, Chesapeake Bay | Elk River Marina and Restaurant
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 09:55   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by winjamerk View Post
First thought is for you to contact the Triton Marina for local knowledge. My chart, which is aged shows some holes deep enough, however it only show 3' in the majority remaining areas I would think preventing access to the holes. Deeper at the mouth, but advise as others have indicated to use the Bohemia River options.
I called Triton Marina. The individual with the local knowledge is not working today. I gave them my cell phone number and he's going to call me back tomorrow. I'll follow up after he calls me. For what it's worth, the satellite photo shows no sail boats anywhere in the Elk River whenever that particular photo was taken.

Sounds like it might be an opportunity to do some Gunk holing with the "follow track" on the GPS. I'm curious for myself. The marina looks very nice.

Ben
Old 23-06-2018, 10:10   #10

Boat: Caliber 47

I spent my youth in this area....know it well. I tend to agree...getting that far up the Elk will be an adventure...you may pull it off in high tide but then you may wound up being stuck with no where to go.

A short hop up the canal finds the Chesapeake Inn with a marina big enough to handle your boat....with about a 1 hour motor back out to the deeper part of the Elk where you can day sail (although that part of the Elk is pretty narrow but certainly sailable)

There may be a marina up the Bohemia that can accommodate you....I'm in a bad area and my Active Captain is slow. I just came thru there and I think I could see a marina on the North Shore of the Bohemia but this could be a pretty far drive depending on where your parents house is

Be careful....the driving distances can be misleading as you may have to drive around various bodies of water to get to where your going.....I think the Inn at Chesapeake City is going to be your best bet,

Greg
Caliber40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 10:15   #11

Try Bohemia Vista Marina 410-885-2056 or Bohemia Bay Yacht Harbor at 410-885-2061....both near where the Bohemia dumps into the Elk near the Canal entrance

Greg
Old 24-06-2018, 07:37   #12

The only marina on the Bo that can handle it at all tides is the BBYH (Bohemia Bay Yacht Harbor). I have a 32 with a 4.3 draft in a slip there.
SqPeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 04:21   #13

Thanks to everyone who responded. I went on the Triton Marina website and I saw a few sailboats, but it didn't look like they were very big. So I am guessing that is out of the question. I will take a look at the other options that were suggested.
Regards
Jack
Old 28-06-2018, 09:33   #14

Triton marina called. He said it's only going to be deep enough at high tide. Low tide the waters around three feet. He recommends and Marina called North East River Yacht Club. He said it's only an 8 minute ride from Triton Marina but it's much deeper water and that's where all the sailboats go. he reiterated that it is only about an 8-minute drive from Triton Marina even though it looks like it's a much greater distance through the water.

I looked up the Northeast River Yacht Club on the web and it looks very nice. Enjoy your trip!
Old 28-06-2018, 10:31   #15

Forgot about North East....just take a look at how far you need to motor before you can do any sailing. First real place to sail is close to Turkey Point!

Just part of the decision making process!

Tags
boat, draft, sail, sailboat