Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2016, 07:11   #46
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,865
Re: Electric Outboard Motor

If the 10kw torqueedo really matched the 20hp Honda (pick a brand), does anyone really think they wouldn't post graphs and figures using standard test methods comparing them head to head instead of using vague marketing terms?
__________________

__________________
valhalla360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 08:21   #47
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 209
Re: Electric Outboard Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
If the 10kw torqueedo really matched the 20hp ...
Regarding LED light bulbs people just believe the specifications. This is because everybody can easily do his own test with the old- and the new technology.
Regarding outboards, there seem to be some non-belivers around - testing by your own is a bit complicated. Time will show how this develops.
__________________

__________________
myocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 09:02   #48
Coastal Cruiser.
 
uncle stinkybob's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: P.N.W.
Boat: Lancer 30-5
Posts: 632
Re: Electric Outboard Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
If the 10kw torqueedo really matched the 20hp Honda (pick a brand), does anyone really think they wouldn't post graphs and figures using standard test methods comparing them head to head instead of using vague marketing terms?
And for how long? and at what weight increase? and how much pollution produced in manufacturing? in disposal? and for many how much in $?
Yes fossil fuel will not last forever, however the S.D. oil fields bring's in 1.6 million barrels a year......N.D. fields are bringing that amount in every two days! and Texans produce's more than both a year. I will be a fossil and contribute to the cause long before I or my great great grand children run out. As far as the flat earther"s .......we realized long ago that fossil fuel is not polluting the earth anymore than all the pollution developed by the production of all the electronic crap and it's eventual "tossing out".
I've noticed that when company's start with the "compares to" as "good as" advertising it's wishful thinking or right out pure grade A bull crude!
__________________
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 09:23   #49
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,865
Re: Electric Outboard Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by myocean View Post
Regarding LED light bulbs people just believe the specifications. This is because everybody can easily do his own test with the old- and the new technology.
Regarding outboards, there seem to be some non-belivers around - testing by your own is a bit complicated. Time will show how this develops.
If you ask the LED bulb manufacturers, they will happily provide the test results and as you say it's easy to conduct an objective test. (been thru this 10yrs ago when I was responsible for converting traffic signals statewide from incandescent to LED)

It's not a question of faith and shouting down the non-believers. If the performance was really that much better, Torqueedo would trumpet it and post the figures. Conventional outboard manufacturers would be unable to say anything about it because Torqueedo would have the facts. They use cutesy marketing terms and don't provide direct head to head comparison under controlled conditions because an unbiased legitimate test would show that there is nothing magical about electric HP.
__________________
valhalla360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 09:29   #50
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2012
Location: New Orleans
Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Posts: 3,940
Re: Electric Outboard Motor

Let's see...

Outboards by law are rated at the prop so a 20hp outboard must produce 20hp +/- 10% at the prop. This is tested by the EPA since the hp rating controls the emissions standards.

Who knows where the electric outboards are tested, they came up with their own system to begin with, and to my knowledge aren't independently verified. But let's assume that they are also tested at the prop.

So on one hand we have 20hp (14.9kw) and the other engine is putting out 10kw... I don't care how you spin it 14.9=\= 10. Argue prop size all you want, I can absolutely put a larger prop on the 14.9 outboard as well, or switch to the high thrust version.

Electric outboard have their place, but the dishonesty of claiming that a 10kw engine is just as powerful as a 14.9kw engine is just amazing. What the electric outboard manufacturers mean is that if you give up a safety reserve of power they can do the same thing, while true, is just stupid. It's like arguing that a golf cart and a Bugatti Veyron are really the same thing as long as you stay on roads with a top speed of 20mph.
__________________
Greg

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 11:45   #51
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 3,919
Re: Electric Outboard Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Ray View Post
Hi My Ocean

Do you know of any manufacturer that is actually shipping a 50v high power outboard in the range of 20hp? so far all I seem to come across are vapor ware with no real customers willing to talk about them and flat earthers who think diesel will last for ever.

To all those flat earthers, keep sailing to horizon.

Mark
mark diesel will last for as long as we grow oil producing crops to convert to bio diesel. Heck the diesel engine was originally designed to run on pure peanut oil. And the ford model A was originally fueled by ethanol not gasoline.
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 12:54   #52
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 209
Re: Electric Outboard Motor

Well, guys, I conclude that it is either all a lie, because this company does not want to build up a sustainable long term business,
or you have just not read what is explained in the section "Comparing the Power of Electric and Petrol Outboards: Torqeedo’s HP Equivalent"
at Performance & Efficiency - Torqeedo
__________________
myocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 14:17   #53
Coastal Cruiser.
 
uncle stinkybob's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: P.N.W.
Boat: Lancer 30-5
Posts: 632
Re: Electric Outboard Motor

And we all know that there is absolute "Truth in Advertising" . If I'm looking for facts on product's, I never ask the guy that is gaining profit by the answer.
__________________
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 14:36   #54
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,865
Re: Electric Outboard Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by myocean View Post
Well, guys, I conclude that it is either all a lie, because this company does not want to build up a sustainable long term business,
or you have just not read what is explained in the section "Comparing the Power of Electric and Petrol Outboards: Torqeedo’s HP Equivalent"
at Performance & Efficiency - Torqeedo
This is about selling the green dream and people wanting to believe. It's really common in eco-business. There is a large section of the population who wants to believe so bad that they will accept substandard products in the name of being eco-friendly. From a business perspective, it makes a lot of sense in terms of profit to feed the beast.

They are very careful not to mention any specific competing manufacturers. They are very careful not to use industry standard tests head to head against specific gas powered engines. They are dancing around the facts. They can't post head to head results because the only way to win would be an outright lie.

If you do a little digging, they essentially have a workboat prop and put it up against a speed prop and then claim the engine has more propulsive HP.

Put their 20hp "equivalent" engine against a "big foot" style 20hp gas with a workboat prop and I can pretty much guarantee the results will be different. I know we switched from a 40hp to a 25hp but went with a large low pitched work prop and we gained a lot of low end thrust around the docks. Top end is lower but it's less HP.
__________________
valhalla360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 16:28   #55
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2012
Location: New Orleans
Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Posts: 3,940
Re: Electric Outboard Motor

Myocean,

Here is my would cost almost nothing to do a real head to head comparison. Frankly in a place like South Florida you could probably do it for free, you just need to find two identacle ribs and an outboard that closely matches the electric range. Then go take both boats out for an hour and compare them side by side.

The failure of the electric motor manufacturers to do this raises real issues in my head about their claims... That and 14.9 =\= 10 no matter how you slice it.
__________________
Greg

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 16:51   #56
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,707
Re: Electric Outboard Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
If you do a little digging, they essentially have a workboat prop and put it up against a speed prop and then claim the engine has more propulsive HP.
Yep, that's the crux of their whole argument. Nothing to do with electric v diesel motive technology.
__________________
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 17:52   #57
Registered User
 
Terra Nova's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Marina del Rey, California
Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova
Posts: 3,645
Re: Electric Outboard Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
...There is a large section of the population who wants to believe so bad that they will accept substandard products in the name of being eco-friendly...
This is showcased in virtually every thread supporting electric power for yachts and dinks. People want so badly to believe the BS that they try to rope in others so they don't feel alone in their fantastic beliefs.
__________________
1st rule of yachting: When a collision is unavoidable, aim for something cheap.
"whatever spare parts you bring, you'll never need"--goboatingnow
"Id rather drown than have computers take over my life."--d design
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 05:47   #58
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,865
Re: Electric Outboard Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
This is showcased in virtually every thread supporting electric power for yachts and dinks. People want so badly to believe the BS that they try to rope in others so they don't feel alone in their fantastic beliefs.
The sad thing is overselling undermines use cases that are viable and cost effective.

You are seeing it with electric cars trying to match gas cars for range. Rather than selling a commuter car with a 40-60mile range for families with more than 1 car fo $6-8k, they drive the cost up to nearly double what an equivalent gas powered car costs and the only way to sell them is huge govt handouts.

An electric trolling motor is a great cost effective option for your dingy if you just need to cover a couple hundred yards in a no wake harbor.
__________________
valhalla360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 06:03   #59
Registered User

Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 61
Re: Electric Outboard Motor

I have been considering replacing my gas outboard for a torquedo on my Wed night J24 racer. The lighter engine and ease of use are an advantage. Then I will only be running the engine in and out of the harbor for a max time of 40 mins so it makes sense. For my cruiser. There would have to be a massive leap in battery technology and design to even consider it. It just doesn't make economic or practical sense.
__________________
Hamish_ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 14:32   #60
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 209
Re: Electric Outboard Motor

One more thing for people who hate tree huggers:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2016-03-16 20.21.08.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	368.0 KB
ID:	120844  
__________________

__________________
myocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
electric, motor, outboard

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: Yamaha 15 hp 4 stroke Electric start Outboard Motor jnrdafoe Classifieds Archive 0 09-07-2015 08:18
Outboard motor, electric versus gas? 2wheelfun General Sailing Forum 0 09-03-2015 11:49
[SOLD] Torqeedo CRUISE 4.0RL Electric Outboard Motor deepthought Classifieds Archive 2 05-08-2014 18:01
For Sale: Torqueedo Cruise 2.0 Electric Outboard Motor Rigamorand Classifieds Archive 1 01-01-2013 14:08
For Sale: Electric Motors and hydraulic electric lifter arms 4 sale Sea Shoes Classifieds Archive 0 25-03-2012 08:46



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:48.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.