Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2013, 09:48   #1
Senior Cruiser
 
rebel heart's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,190
Images: 3
dun dun dun: 4th edition of annapolis book of seamanship

It doesn't come out until January 2014 and I know it's terribly wonky but that book taught me so much about sailing. Fifteen years later finally a new edition is coming out. Woot!

Amazon.com: The Annapolis Book of Seamanship: Fourth Edition (9781451650198): John Rousmaniere, Mark Smith: Books
__________________

__________________
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 19:40   #2
Registered User
 
brownoarsman's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Round Bay, Severn River
Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
Posts: 1,320
Re: dun dun dun: 4th edition of annapolis book of seamanship

Crap! I just bought the 3rd edition! I've found it very useful too and always keep my copy in my sail bag. Do wish it had some more detail on sail trim, but I've found it a great resource!
__________________

__________________
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 09:05   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 14
Re: dun dun dun: 4th edition of annapolis book of seamanship

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
It doesn't come out until January 2014 and I know it's terribly wonky but that book taught me so much about sailing. Fifteen years later finally a new edition is coming out. Woot!

Amazon.com: The Annapolis Book of Seamanship: Fourth Edition (9781451650198): John Rousmaniere, Mark Smith: Books
I'm the author. Many thanks for your kind words.

The 4th Edition of THE ANNAPOLIS BOOK OF SEAMANSHIP will be available in early January, 2014. Over 1/3 of it is new or heavily revised, with Mark Smith's superb illustrations remaining. A summary of changes, as well as my biography and others' comments about the book, may be found at the book's page at Amazon.com (look for "Forums").

Amazon.com: The Annapolis Book of Seamanship: Fourth Edition eBook: John Rousmaniere, Mark Smith: Kindle Store
__________________
Johnsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 19:38   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
rebel heart's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,190
Images: 3
Re: dun dun dun: 4th edition of annapolis book of seamanship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsail View Post
I'm the author. Many thanks for your kind words.

The 4th Edition of THE ANNAPOLIS BOOK OF SEAMANSHIP will be available in early January, 2014. Over 1/3 of it is new or heavily revised, with Mark Smith's superb illustrations remaining. A summary of changes, as well as my biography and others' comments about the book, may be found at the book's page at Amazon.com (look for "Forums").

Amazon.com: The Annapolis Book of Seamanship: Fourth Edition eBook: John Rousmaniere, Mark Smith: Kindle Store
John, my dad recommended your book when I was young and wanted to learn how to sail, and it's still my go-to and first recommendation for anyone else. You've done a tremendous amount for what must be tens of thousands (or more?) sailors. Great work, great book, can't wait for a copy.
__________________
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 05:34   #5
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,579
Images: 240
Re: dun dun dun: 4th edition of annapolis book of seamanship

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, John.
Where’ve you been, since 2007?
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 08:29   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 14
Re: dun dun dun: 4th edition of annapolis book of seamanship

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
John, my dad recommended your book when I was young and wanted to learn how to sail, and it's still my go-to and first recommendation for anyone else. You've done a tremendous amount for what must be tens of thousands (or more?) sailors. Great work, great book, can't wait for a copy.
Thanks for your kind words. They're right up there with a Facebook post I received a couple of years ago: “Hey John! I'm on Chapter 5 of The Annapolis Book of Seamanship and I just bought the thing on Wednesday. Thanks for making this all understandable!”
__________________
Johnsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 08:31   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 14
Re: dun dun dun: 4th edition of annapolis book of seamanship

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, John.
Where’ve you been, since 2007?
Still around! I've been especially busy with reviews of accidents and other safety-related activities.
__________________
Johnsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 09:32   #8
Registered User
 
Ziggy's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: U.S., Northeast
Boat: Contessa 32
Posts: 1,421
Images: 2
Re: dun dun dun: 4th edition of annapolis book of seamanship

John,

I also found your book (first edition!) an excellent introduction to sailing and I always recommend it to people asking about an introductory text. I also found Fastnet Force 10 to be a very informative and sensible analysis of that tragedy. And I always read your magazine articles on safety with great interest.

Thank you for your service to the sailing community.
__________________
... He knows the chart is not the sea.
-- Philip Booth, Chart 1203
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 10:12   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 14
Re: dun dun dun: 4th edition of annapolis book of seamanship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
John,

I also found your book (first edition!) an excellent introduction to sailing and I always recommend it to people asking about an introductory text. I also found Fastnet Force 10 to be a very informative and sensible analysis of that tragedy. And I always read your magazine articles on safety with great interest.

Thank you for your service to the sailing community.
Many thanks for that, Ziggy.
__________________
Johnsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 10:31   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Boat: Valiant 40-169
Posts: 175
Re: dun dun dun: 4th edition of annapolis book of seamanship

Just put in my pre-order. Compared to other sailing gear books are cheap and they never break. Now, who to give my old copy to...
__________________
gordwedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 12:54   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 14
Re: dun dun dun: 4th edition of annapolis book of seamanship

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordwedman View Post
Just put in my pre-order. Compared to other sailing gear books are cheap and they never break. Now, who to give my old copy to...
"Never break" -- I like that.
__________________
Johnsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 14:08   #12
Registered User
 
Ziggy's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: U.S., Northeast
Boat: Contessa 32
Posts: 1,421
Images: 2
Re: dun dun dun: 4th edition of annapolis book of seamanship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsail View Post
"Never break" -- I like that.
Actually, they do. But that's beside the point.
__________________
... He knows the chart is not the sea.
-- Philip Booth, Chart 1203
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 15:12   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 793
Re: dun dun dun: 4th edition of annapolis book of seamanship

How much is it a book about sailing vs cruising independent of propulsion source? I don't sail anymore, but cruise a lot in a trawler. Is this still applicable?
__________________
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 19:07   #14
Registered User
 
Ziggy's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: U.S., Northeast
Boat: Contessa 32
Posts: 1,421
Images: 2
Re: dun dun dun: 4th edition of annapolis book of seamanship

As I recall, maybe half of the content is sailing oriented. But there's a lot of useful practical information on weather, navigation, rules of the road, leadership, etc. that's equally applicable to power boat cruising.
__________________
... He knows the chart is not the sea.
-- Philip Booth, Chart 1203
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 19:40   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Boat: Valiant 40-169
Posts: 175
Re: dun dun dun: 4th edition of annapolis book of seamanship

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
How much is it a book about sailing vs cruising independent of propulsion source? I don't sail anymore, but cruise a lot in a trawler. Is this still applicable?
If you search for the book on Amazon you can bring up the third edition and view the Table of Contents. I imagine the fourth will be similar but with updated info.
__________________

__________________
gordwedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
annapolis

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:53.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.