Gemini on the hard at Yaringa,

Cheers,
Brian,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 19:51   #122
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Don't Pay The Ferryman...

I can report the following for those who are following Boaty's adventures downunder.

He has departed Albany, WA this morning headed towards Hobart, Tasmania about 1,400 nm distant generally SE. He is planning to zigzag along at around 40S for most of the trip. He is, of course, single handed. ETA is around November 20th.

Conditions on departure were 20 kts WSW, lumpy seas, sunny with local showers. The dolphins saw him off along with a hot coffee and a large Havana Club. He last report was “life is good” as he cleared King George Sound.

Forecast for the next week for a generally westerly flow between 15 and 30 kts with several small cold fronts to make life interesting but hopefully not demanding. After that, well we wait and see.

Please wish him well.

Edit: Weather may force up and into the Bass Strait Mr B and if so, he may well take up your offer
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 19:53   #123
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

He may NEVER leave Australia at this rate. All the way round on free dinners and beers, there's a record worth trying for. Will have to come half way up the East coast to get them from me.

Coops.
Old 05-11-2012, 19:56   #124

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
He may NEVER leave Australia at this rate. All the way round on free dinners and beers, there's a record worth trying for. Will have to come half way up the East coast to get them from me.

Coops.
If he finds himself in the Sydney region I GUESS I could help him out.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 20:38   #125

Quote:

Coops.
Bludi Hel, I never thought of that - crikey, I know his visa is only good for so long but perhaps he has a secret plan to nip over to NZ instead of stopping in Tassie and then sneaking back across the Tasman just to get a new visa - that would explain all the tobacco he had stocked up on .

Watch out Sydney - lock up yer daughters
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 05-11-2012, 21:52   #126

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

It probably won't worry him, but in case he didn't realise it, safe anchorages are few and far between on Tassie's west coast. Not sure I'd risk anywhere other than Port Davey. If he does have to go around the top of Tas, there are plenty of anchorages all the way to Hobart.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 22:50   #127

Hey Boatie,

If you are passing Port Fairy (near Warrnambool) call in for a bit of hospitality - Victorian style. Would love to see you and we are in a great, safe little river.

Marie and Ian.
Kindred Spirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 23:09   #128
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Port Fairy is a lovely place, spent a month there in 1985 whilst heading round to Perth (by road).

Coops.
Old 05-11-2012, 23:17   #129
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I can see a new cruising scheme being formed here. Instead of having to endure those long ocean crossings with no sail through McDonalds and Pizza huts on the way to break up the endless fresh fish meals Simply fly to the country you would like to sail around/in and declare yourself "Here" to the friendly folks on CF. You will then be inundated with offers of free dinners and beers, perhaps even, a little rum, and certainly accomodation whilst you decide which of the dozens of offered yachts you will borrow for the time allotted.

If only it were so. SIGH!

Coops.
Old 06-11-2012, 00:05   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
It probably won't worry him, but in case he didn't realise it, safe anchorages are few and far between on Tassie's west coast. Not sure I'd risk anywhere other than Port Davey. If he does have to go around the top of Tas, there are plenty of anchorages all the way to Hobart.
Thanks for the advice Weyalan. The passage plan is to stay around 40S until 140E and make a decision then go either N or S with the preference being S and staying well offshore until he can clear the bottom of Tassie and head up towards Hobart without getting blown into NZ.

This is all new water for him (and me)

Of course, this is only a plan and the weather may dictate completely different actions
Old 06-11-2012, 00:08   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindred Spirits View Post
Hey Boatie,

If you are passing Port Fairy (near Warrnambool) call in for a bit of hospitality - Victorian style. Would love to see you and we are in a great, safe little river.

Marie and Ian.
If Boaty was on line, I am sure he would say "Thanks"
Old 06-11-2012, 00:12   #132

Quote:
I can see a new cruising scheme being formed here. Instead of having to endure those long ocean crossings with no sail through McDonalds and Pizza huts on the way to break up the endless fresh fish meals Simply fly to the country you would like to sail around/in and declare yourself "Here" to the friendly folks on CF. You will then be inundated with offers of free dinners and beers, perhaps even, a little rum, and certainly accomodation whilst you decide which of the dozens of offered yachts you will borrow for the time allotted.

If only it were so. SIGH!

Coops.
Well it does sound good doesn't it; maybe was like like that half a century back .

These days you have to sail halfway around the world and then get stranded in the new country without getting paid for the job done and throw yourself on the mercy of the locals

I am surprised that D_O_J hasn't cottoned onto the idea
Old 06-11-2012, 00:45   #133
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I hereby declare my submission for a patent and DOJ, and every other bugger as well, can pay me a royalty.

PS. Wotname, you are excused royalty payments, you have done your bit.

Coops.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:01   #134

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

I have just read through this thread for the first time. Wotname, and many others here have just started restoring my faith in humanity and there are not sufficient words that can describe their humanity. Put simply, they have taken today's world and wound it back a good number of decades by coming to the rescue of a stranded sailor like they have.

Believe me, my wife and I have experienced the dregs of society in a family member and his wife for the last 6 years and when she lost her father a few days ago, they sunk to even lower levels. Amazing what money can do to people and the schemes they can come up with to get their grubby little paws on it. Then they ensure that she doesn't even get to pay her last respects to her father, who will likely be laid to rest today or tomorrow!

Hope you get sorted quickly Boatman. The wheel turns!

It takes all types to make a world and some we can do without. Fortunately,as I have seen, there are fantastic people too. We are just looking for those fantastic people on the Isle of Man because so far, this family member and his wife are lower than shark **** in my eyes.

Boatman, Wotname, we have some looming massive legal bills ahead of us on the Isle of Man but if you pm me with an email address I will squeeze a few pennies out for your fight my friends. I just hope that the small amount I give is not an insult; its just that we have to prepare for a massive legal battle whilst getting ready for our boat purchase and new life at the same time.
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:51   #135
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I am surprised that D_O_J hasn't cottoned onto the idea
Well, next week I am heading to Somalia - only thing left to do is set up the "donate now" Website .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote