Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2012, 13:17   #166

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Re: Don't Pay The Ferryman...

20 degrees Centihrade = 68 degrees fahrenheit, fwiw.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 13:25   #167

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
must be that weird number system 20s
Ah Aussies, they are a wierd mob.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 13:29   #168

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

We are basking in -15 C (5 F) and I can't wait to get out of here down to Florida.
Old 19-11-2012, 14:11   #169
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
We are basking in -15 C (5 F) and I can't wait to get out of here down to Florida.

Here it's blowing 30-40 and raining sideways. Heavy flooding today. 40F.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 14:23   #170
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
And where is "here"?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 14:32   #171

Boat: Able 50

Sydney is still pretty cold. My house was 20 max yesterday but this is supposed to be summer.

I blame Al Gore.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 14:37   #172

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
And where is "here"?
Frozen North? Here.
Old 19-11-2012, 14:42   #173

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Sydney is still pretty cold. My house was 20 max yesterday but this is supposed to be summer.

I blame Al Gore.
Aahhh, even with the sorta odd season definitions here in Oz, it is still spring, not summer.

Storms and 75-100 mm rain over the weekend here in Manly (near Brisbane for youse auslanders). Now sunny and 24 (C) heading for 31 today. Not a bad spot weather-wise!

Hope that boatie is going well and enjoys the trip down the East coast of Tassie. As Weyalan says, lots of good anchorages and pretty spots along there. Wineglass Bay and Fortescue (Canoe Cove) are our favorites.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 19-11-2012, 14:46   #174

Once I saw snow in Hobart on Christmas Day.
Old 19-11-2012, 14:49   #175
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Don't Pay The Ferryman...

Hi Folks.... just been catching up on all the posts since I've been out playing... Slight correction to Wotnames post of 45 S... it was actually 40.05 S... chickened out well before 45...
Right now I'm at the 'Hub Cafe' haVING JUST HAD A bREKKIE OF eGGS ON TOAST AND BACON... opps... damn caps lock...
Oh... and I'm in Port Fairy... lovely little place though a bit shallow entering goes between 3-4metres on the approach and in a SW 20+ with the depth alarm going every now and then on the big swells it had me on my toes...
Just a thought I had out there by the way... it occured to me that the 'OPPOSITION' only have till Jan 17th 2013 to settle...
Why you ask... simple... their registration was dated Jan 18th 2012... so if what I've heard is true after 12 months it goes up from 10% import to quite a bit higher...
I know for a fact that Customs & Excise have suspended all processing for ELLE BO while this litigation is underway as they do want the CORRECTED sum and forms before sending the BILL
Looks like thats another fine mess they're making for themselves
Actually the Customs guys up in Darwin were a really nice bunch and have been very helpful one way or another... so don't let all those scarey stories put you off visiting OZ folks... its worth the stop... well worth it... Free Dinners and Beers all over the place...
Thanks again to my Supporters out there... Wotname got it spot on... with his comments earlier..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 15:15   #176

Welcome back boatman. We were reduced to idle chit chat about the weather.

FWIW my tea leaves say that you know who is bust. All the symptoms are on display.
Old 19-11-2012, 15:19   #177
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Don't Pay The Ferryman...

Oh... for those who remember the accusations that I destroyed 4 batteries due to inexperience/incompetence here a little something to make you giggle... this was from Bettina my German crew who demanded to be put of the boat at the nearest port after just 16hrs at sea... and was one of the reasons we pulled into Ft Pierce.
From Jenny...
Hi Bettina so sorry things didnt work out was looking forward to showing you around perth.

Hoping you can please forward money for ticket we paid to you as this may be needed for a new crew member, and it is only fair as you have nt become a crew member.

Hoping you will do the right thing.

best wishes

Jenny Briggs

From Bettina..

CC:Message flagged
Thursday, 8 March 2012, 8:10

Hi Jenny.

Save arrived at home?

We tried to contact you for more than a week by any available mean as there are email, cell phone (voice and text message) and skype (voice and text message) as well as the contacts on SY Compeller's INMARSAT phone. Not a single response within a week how to deal with the technical problems of your SY Compeller.

I haven't become a crew member because when I left SY Compeller she wasn't in a condition where a save trip in terms of good seamanship was ahead. This fact is based on followed main points:

I. Energies Systems:
1) Stephen killed inverter/charger by starting the engine while shore power was connected.

2) Because of 1) generator didn't load the batteries.
3) Engine loads batteries without controller.
4) Because of 3) engine overload the batteries which overheated (Voltage lower than 12.0V!).
5) Because of 4) batteries needed strongly controlled reactivation according to AGM load diagram which wasn't possible to do because of II.

6) Engine smoke deeply brown and black.

7) Oil pressure gauge didn't work which was mentioned in the survey as Phil found out but while introduction you lost not a single word about that.

II. Electrics:

1) Panel amperemeter showed not reproducible data for load current of batteries.
2) Because of 1) the batteries will be death sooner or later.
3) One multimeter didn't work at all. Second multimeter didn't own the necessary measurement range.

4) Because of 2) the food won't be cooled and will be lost any where while we would have been on Atlantic Ocean.

III. Diesel tanks*:
1) Both diesel tanks leaking while heeling.
2) Because of 1) energy will sooner run out.
3) Bilge pumpe will pump diesel as long there's energy in the Ocean.
4) This is world wide a serious environmental offence which is highly prosecuted.

* For this point I have an independent eyewitness while we stayed at Fort Pierce.

IV. Main sheet:
1) very rough-running in-boom system

2) While introduction you lost not a single word of that fact.
3) Because of 1) lost of usable main sheet is likely.

V. Autopilot:
1) At electric switch panel the hydraulics-switch where taped "off" with red tape when we left North Palm Beach Marina.
2) While introduction you lost not a single word that this switch has to be "on" for using the autopilot.

3) Because of 1) the autopilot can't work.
4) And if he could work, than sooner or later there's no energy for it because of not working energies systems.

VI. Miscellaneous:
and more...

You send us to sail a trip of 13,000 nm with 3 persons on board knowing there's no autopilot and knowing there's a seriously damaged energy system. There's no reasonably save way to do this long distance trip from Florida around South Africa to Australia with 3 crew and no autopilot and not properly working energies systems.

You didn't pay me for this job so there's no base for refund. Additional you waisted my time. First at London while you didn't send the demanded return to London and second at North Palm Beach Marina where you hold back important information about boat's condition. Knowing what I know now I have to assume you didn't send the returns because of the boat condition. And these returns are especially for this purpose what happen now that the crewmen aren't open to get blackmailed because owners promise things (like a working boat) they don't come true.

Based on this I demand asap payback of my expenses for flight back on IBAN DE00 00000 00000 0000 (Sparda Bank SuedWest eG). I saved expenses while using the lowest rate ticket which stand for sleeping one night at West Palm Beach Airport and one night at JFK New York airport on an airport couch.

1) Transport to airport from Fort Pierce to West Palm Beach

65EUR

2) Flight ticket from West Palm Beach via New York to Frankfurt
499EUR
3) Train from Frankfurt to Saarbruecken
55EUR

1) - 3) in sum 619EUR / 769AUD

Hoping you will do the right thing.

Best regards,
Bettina Glocker
The owner seemed totally unaware that you DO NOT run an engine while hooked up to shorepower... and if he did it this time... god only knows how many times he did it over the 2+mths he'd been on board since the purchase...
Contrary to belief I do not think he's much experience at all... the photo's on FB are in all likelyhood the boat that was owned by J's parents way back when...
I have 187 e-mails and over 100 Satphone texts I downloaded as evidence that I behaved properly and kept them informed at all times... and that they were more than happy with me... till I got here
"Phil you are a true Warrior thank you for saving our dreamboat... Stephen will give you the best ever recommendation when you get here..."
"Phil all my friends at work want to meet you as I keep telling them how cool you are..."
But this one really made me laugh...
"Phil please delete all Satphone messages I dont want Stephen to read them..."
So I did... after the download... amazing the tools and drivers one can access on the NET...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 15:36   #178
CLOD

Boat: none

going to be a made for TV movie in this somewhere!
Old 19-11-2012, 15:53   #179

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Wow, just Wow. What else can one say? Boatman, so sorry you have to put up with that stuff. Amazing what some people can do and still live with themselves. How does one look in the mirror in the morning?
Old 19-11-2012, 16:03   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
going to be a made for TV movie in this somewhere!
Well you know boatman does bear a striking resemblance to George Clooney. As for the owner, I reckon it's a toss up between Christopher Walken and Steve Buscemi.