Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2015, 23:19   #1

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5
Dont own a boat - How to find people to go out with?

Hey guys,

Well the sad truth is I dont own a boat(yet). I've recently introduced my girlfriend to it and she has fallen in love with it and we are saving our way to buying our first boat.

That being said, before we buy ours, we want to go out more, to get more experience on the water.

We live in Seattle/PNW area and have been searching for people to possibly take us out. We found a gentlemen on Craigslist who has been really nice, decent pricing and exteremly helpful in teaching us things and letting us get the hang of things.

How would the CF recommend us finding people to go out sailing? We dnot have a lot of money, but are willing to pay for someones time and effort to go out.

The main reason we are asking is because we'd like to get to know more people in the community for when the day we actually buy our first boat.

THanks all!
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 00:53   #2
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Dont own a boat - How to find people to go out with?

Local yacht clubs usually have a notice board....just make clear you are willing to put hand in pocket and will go towards top of the picks! Whether you get invited back will depend on personality more than ability.

Sent from my NEXUS 5 whilst sitting in my armchair tied to the dock.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 01:44   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

One way to get involved with folks with boats is to wander about the hardstands, looking for people doing unpleasant jobs, like sanding/scrubbing hulls before antifouling. Offering to pitch in and help will get a big foot in the door with many owners. Don't be coy - tell them what you are doing, and many will respond with the coveted invitation to come sailing with them. This is IMO a better approach than offers of money, for there are legal ramifications with this sort of informal charter.

At any rate, crewing opportunities are often found walking the docks at marinas and yCs especially for the so called "beer can" races, often held midweek evenings in the summer. A six-pack and a good attitude will usually get y ou a ride.

Good luck with your quest,

Jim
Old 21-09-2015, 01:55   #4

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

They are often so desperate for crew in the mid week races at my club that they have asked me to crew.

Strangely they've only needed me once per boat....

Seriously, crewing is a great start and if you have a more easy going attitude to sailing than I do you'll probably find some repeat positions are offered.

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 21-09-2015, 01:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Local yacht clubs usually have a notice board....just make clear you are willing to put hand in pocket and will go towards top of the picks! Whether you get invited back will depend on personality more than ability.

Geez, I hope the money thing is a joke? But maybe it isn't!? Anyway, I 100% agree with the personality thing.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 21-09-2015, 02:26   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

Not a joke! Am not talking about paying a fixed amount of cash, nor even handing over actual cash! (Although sometimes appropriate)....but a willingness to put hand in pocket goes a long way - even if that "only" not turning up empty handed. And hungry. Lol.

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 03:02   #7

I wouldn't take enthusiastic wannabe strangers out for a sail. When I have I regretted it for different reasons... they turned out to be people I don't especially care for. They get in the way. They need to be taken care of and I am not a cruise or charter operator. They can break things, waste water, leave lights on.... are clueless. If you run a charter you are paid to deal with all this.

If you want to experience sailing... go to sailing school and try to make friends with someone who owns a sailboat.

I sail to get away from "landlubbers" and people... Not everyone does... I see boats full of people going out. And I suppose it can be a barrel of fun for them. I am past that stage in my life.

I suppose if some came by to help with lots of work in the Spring and I got to know them and they seemed OK and competent at "things" I might return the favor with an offer to experience the boat sailing. But that has never happened. I don't see anyone doing that in the 30 years I've done Spring prep. I don't race nor need crew... and so I don't look for it. Unless someone seems very interesting when I meet and speak with them.... hell no. Do you invite strangers to your home because they want to swim in your pool or listen to your stereo?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 03:23   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Not a joke! Am not talking about paying a fixed amount of cash, nor even handing over actual cash! (Although sometimes appropriate)....but a willingness to put hand in pocket goes a long way - even if that "only" not turning up empty handed. And hungry. Lol.
Phew, I thought things had become really tight.

But yep, good cooks are ALWAYS welcome back on board our boat.

In all seriousness, you wouldn't want to pay anything, that changes the whole transaction and brings in goodness knows what sort of legal ramifications. If I understand things correctly, if I were to accept so much as a dollar towards fuel I would have crossed the magical line into the charter boat operation (at least in a strict legal sense) and that is a minefield.

But to the OP, seriously, most of us just love to show our pride and joy off to a new face, and if that new face is willing to listen to the important stuff about MOB etc, then I really don't mind if they spend the whole day prostrate on the foredeck catching some sun, or stick to the steering wheel like super glue, as long as they look like they are having fun they will be invited back on board.

Matt
Old 21-09-2015, 07:36   #9

Boat: Hunter 33.5

Two ways to do it:

#!, join a sailing club, back in the day I belonged to 3 in the Ft.Lauderdale area.

#2, go to, " Meetup" on the internet and look to a local meetup for sailors.

Good luck............
tdh1849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 07:38   #10

Boat: lancer 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
Hey guys,

Well the sad truth is I dont own a boat(yet). I've recently introduced my girlfriend to it and she has fallen in love with it and we are saving our way to buying our first boat.

That being said, before we buy ours, we want to go out more, to get more experience on the water.

We live in Seattle/PNW area and have been searching for people to possibly take us out. We found a gentlemen on Craigslist who has been really nice, decent pricing and exteremly helpful in teaching us things and letting us get the hang of things.

How would the CF recommend us finding people to go out sailing? We dnot have a lot of money, but are willing to pay for someones time and effort to go out.

The main reason we are asking is because we'd like to get to know more people in the community for when the day we actually buy our first boat.

THanks all!
meetup.com is a website where people with common interests get together. i'm in a group where boat owners such as myself host meetups on our boats. great way to make new friends for me and introduces sailing to others. contributions toward fuel and other upkeep costs are appreciated of course but not required.
jrbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 07:58   #11

Boat: Morgan, Out Island 36, Ketch

All Good Ideas... Here is another.... Look up "Cascadia Sailing Association" on your computer and if like what you see, come and join one of our informal meetings.... I for one, am always looking for crew here in Bellingham... Let me, and others know how to reach you through the web site. This a great fun crowd, and costs you nothing to join or be a member...
Olde Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 08:04   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post

Well the sad truth is I dont own a boat(yet). I've recently introduced my girlfriend to it and she has fallen in love with it ............
How is this even possible??
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 08:06   #13

The OP seems to be located in Seattle. There should be allkindsa sailing clubs, even some where the membership dues aren't so high that for people that "don't have a lot of money" they preclude saving for a boat. Join such a club, for their purpose is, broadly, to take newbies in hand while having a good time for a minimal amount of bux.

Better still, blow a kilobuck (or whatever the cost is these days) on learning the rudiments from a commercial sailing school - THEN join a club.

If the OP were in Vancouver, there'd be lotsa choice in that regard. I imagine there must be in Seattle also.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 08:12   #14

Boat: Tartan 30 & Columbia 26

Meetup is your friend:

The Puget Sound Sailing Group (Seattle, WA) - Meetup

Pacific Northwest Sailing Group (Seattle, WA) - Meetup
wristwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 08:13   #15

Seattle sailing club at Shilshole Marina
mark maulden is offline   Reply With Quote