Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2017, 09:13   #46

Boat: Carver 356
Re: Documentation renewal

Here's the website for the above CG advisory on this topic.

https://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg545/alerts/Adv0117.pdf
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:47   #47

Boat: 1966 Bristol 39 Yawl Hull #13

A month ago I received the US Documentation letter and realized it was a third party company and discarded it. A day or two after that, I went to the USCG NVDC and renewed my boat myself. This morning, I received an email from NVDC stating that after I had submitted my renewal, US Documentation Inc. had submitted a renewal on my behalf and did I want the renewal submitted to them or to me. I obviously wanted it to come to me directly. I do not know how US Documentation thought they could renew my documentation number, I did not go to their website to renew the documentation number and did not pay for their services. I suspect they thought if they got my documentation paperwork, they could extort the money from me. Thank goodness for the good folks at NVDC. I tried to call US Documentation to speak to a Rep, but they only accept emails. I plan on filing a complaint with US Boat and BBB. I wonder if there is a case for fraud?
KeithMidgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 19:02   #48

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Documentation renewal

A few weeks ago I got the fake Documentation Renewal form. I didn't fall for it because I had been warned by this site. This week, I got the real form we are all used to getting from the REAL Coast Guard. Tonight I just went to renew my documentation, put the Coast Guard site that was on the form in safari and it took me to a google page. Without looking carefully, I clicked on the top selection. It was the FAKE SITE. It looks very official. I clicked on Documentation Renewal and the fee was $70. Fortunately, I took another look at the real form I had received and it said $26. If it had not been for the warnings this site I would have probably renewed and wasted $44.

BE VERY CAREFUL! The fee is only $26 and there is no 5 year Renewal on the real site.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 06:45   #49

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII

I'm in the process of impatiently waiting for my "Exchange" of documentation to be processed. Sent it in late in May.

I finally found a page that (I think) tells you how long you have to wait for various things:

https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/1ac46d8

(Not sure if that link is even gonna work)

Anyway - what's a bit confusing is the talk of certain 3rd party services that can get you paperwork more quickly. Can they really?

I've scoured the USCG NVDC site with a fine-tooth comb and can find NO mention of an "expedited service" - which would certainly be mentioned on the fee schedule were it available.

Is the implication here that these third party services have some special expedited option that is not available to regular taxpayers?

At any rate, the case status page (above link, if it worked) seems to say that exchanges received the first week of May are currently being processed. Hopefully that means I'll have my new documentation in a couple of weeks.

I tried searching for a status by HIN, but nothing comes up. I assume that means that the paperwork I sent is still sitting in a pile on a desk until then actually enter some numbers into a computer.
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 06:49   #50

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

I renewed mine on July 12 on the REAL CG Site. I got my new certificate on July 19. Took all of 1 week! How much faster could the fake site expedite it?
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 06:54   #51

Boat: Carver 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValiantV View Post
I'm in the process of impatiently waiting for my "Exchange" of documentation to be processed. Sent it in late in May.

Anyway - what's a bit confusing is the talk of certain 3rd party services that can get you paperwork more quickly. Can they really?

I've scoured the USCG NVDC site with a fine-tooth comb and can find NO mention of an "expedited service" - which would certainly be mentioned on the fee schedule were it available.

Is the implication here that these third party services have some special expedited option that is not available to regular taxpayers?

I can't say about exchange of documentation, but I did ask the CG about renewal times and was told it is strictly first come, first serve. Documentation service companies DID NOT go to the front of the line.

While I agree there are certain instances where it may be prudent to use one of these services, most of the time, boaters can handle documentation issues themselves and save a bunch of money.

If I had issues that a doc service would be good to use, I would NOT use the company these threads mention. They are nothing more than bottom feeding scumbags
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 07:04   #52

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII

Thanks Chuck, that confirms my thoughts.

I would never use a service for something I can do myself. I have no fear of government paperwork.

As for the implication that the services can do it faster - I likely wouldn't even pay for that if it were true. I'm too cheap, er, frugal to spend much more to get it now.

I spoke to another sailor/owner about how long it too to get exchanges and renewals. He said that he never got his and that it was "all online now". I don't think that sounds like the real USCG and wonder if he got hooked up with one of the "services".
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 16:05   #53

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post
TWICE, it says we are NOT the USCG but a private documentation firm. I'm truly sorry if you got duped, but I can read.
I can't wait for the pendulem to swing the other way, where we are responsible for our own actions and decisions and stop blaming others for our mistakes.
Classy.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 16:14   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffatds9 View Post
Last April, I disputed the $75 fee with my Visa provider, claiming fraud.

Yesterday, Visa denied my dispute. A Visa rep said the company sent an 18 page letter claiming uscgdocumentation.us clearly started on their web site (in light grey text at bottom of each page) that they were not affiliated with the USCG documentation center.

I hope others have better luck disputing the $75 free with their credit card provider.
I got the same renewal letter yesterday and did not read it. Was up most of the nite from vertigo and this morning I got on the web site and renewed the documentation. Something did not feel right so I looked over the web site and realized what it was. I immediately got into a chat with the site and requested them to cancel the renewal, which they did. But they refused to cancel the credit card payment. I notified the FTC and the USPS, I will send a letter to the coast guard. As soon as the payment is not pending I will dispute it.

If I remember right there was something I just read about the USCG stating that this company is not authorized to issue documents. That may help you with Visa. Good luck.
Old 18-08-2017, 16:46   #55

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

I got the scam renewal letter a couple of months ago. It said something about not being coast guard, but instead a service. Last week I got my CG general notice. Did it online, and documentation arrives in mail in five days.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 16:49   #56

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
I got the scam renewal letter a couple of months ago. It said something about not being coast guard, but instead a service. Last week I got my CG general notice. Did it online, and documentation arrives in mail in five days.
Uh, I meant to say that renewed documents arrived in five days.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 08:55   #57
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

I got both letters in the mail and am really pissed off that the US government permits this kind of scam.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 10:52   #58

Boat: Valiant 42

I got “the letter” this week too. It says several time that it is a service and you don’t have to use them. I would guess their lawyers have edited the letter to be something short of a scam.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 12:04   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
I got “the letter” this week too. It says several time that it is a service and you don’t have to use them. I would guess their lawyers have edited the letter to be something short of a scam.
Which company was it from? A few of the outfits seem to be legit businesses, they offer refunds if you change your mind within a few days. The crooks I dealt with would not return emails and offered no other way to contact the company other than the on-line chat (with leaves no record). I sent complaint letters to the post office and need to write to the Coast Guard.
Old 27-12-2017, 18:52   #60

Boat: Valiant 42

Sorry, I already shredded the letter.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation, men