Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 05:05   #1

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
Dock Buddy Rant

Some of the best people I have met have been my dock buddies or boat yard buddies. It is great to share knowledge or experiences. I don't get overly friendly but casual friendly. But... where I am berthed for the last few years I share a dock with a couple who drive me nuts. He is a know it all and is constantly giving me unsolicited advice on my boat. He was even having a fit the other day when I didn't do what he wanted me to do on a little project I had. Dang I wish he would move. They are also part of a dock clique of which I have been excluded. Ok, I feel better now.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:23   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Dock Buddy Rant

ask the marina for a new slip

I'm thinking of asking for new mooring next year just because of the boats around me who don't secure their lines etc as I'm tired of listening to them
Old 12-10-2011, 05:29   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

One more good reason not to leave your boat in a marina!

I love being on a mid-river pontoon -- peace and quiet -- views -- solitude -- it's just like being at anchor. So my sailing trips now have already started when I only just get to the boat.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:37   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

Every marina has a few "experts"....other than being a hermit, you can't get away from them.....

They are the guys who, if you ask them what time it is, tell you about how they built the clock.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
ask the marina for a new slip

I'm thinking of asking for new mooring next year just because of the boats around me who don't secure their lines etc as I'm tired of listening to them
I may move next year. I have a berth at the end of the dock on the river which is so beautiful. A mooring is an option also but I like the convenience of a slip. The good news is I plan on casting off next year and heading south so if I can just be patient ....
Old 12-10-2011, 06:21   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Could be worse....

... You could be stuck with the forum guys giving you advise. The important difference is that we can be unplugged!
Old 12-10-2011, 09:01   #7

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Know-it-all people are not confined to dock mates.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:06   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I had the same experience at a marina in South San Francisco Bay. I was readying to jump over to Hawaii and every time I was focused on a project, I would get..."Why ya doing it that way"?..."Have you done (fill in the blank) yet"? It was endless! Finally I figured it out. I let my wind generator at the dock run endlessly. It would whirr up and down in speed all night. He complained and I told him it needed to be tested. He stopped talking to me...problem solved.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:43   #9

Re: Could be worse....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
... You could be stuck with the forum guys giving you advise. The important difference is that we can be unplugged!
All the advice I request here is solicited unlike his and I have got some very helpful advice here.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:47   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I had the same experience at a marina in South San Francisco Bay. I was readying to jump over to Hawaii and every time I was focused on a project, I would get..."Why ya doing it that way"?..."Have you done (fill in the blank) yet"? It was endless! Finally I figured it out. I let my wind generator at the dock run endlessly. It would whirr up and down in speed all night. He complained and I told him it needed to be tested. He stopped talking to me...problem solved.
I am dreaming of the day he stops talking to me. I guess I could be rude to him but actually I already did that. Must not have been rude enough. I need to work on my rude skills.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:05   #11

Boat: Pearson 281

I feel ya Surya,
Our docks have plenty of folks who "built the clock" (love that one, thx!) but there's always one who wants to take it to the next level.... with a lot of presumption Those are the annoying ones, otherwise, if somebody can manage even a little give and take I don't mind. We had this one guy who was really bad right out the gate but you could see from his choices and the poor quality of the work he did that he didn't really have a clue. No credibility...
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:13   #12

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V_Surya View Post
I am dreaming of the day he stops talking to me. I guess I could be rude to him but actually I already did that. Must not have been rude enough. I need to work on my rude skills.
Sorry...I naturally assumed you had attended RUDE 101. Working in your underwear does wonders.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:35   #13

Boat: 40' Northstar Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V_Surya View Post
When I'm engaged in a conversation I don't want to be in, I concentrate on a distant point on the horizon. If necessary I even point my finger toward that distant point. When the annoying person turns to see what it is that has captured my attention, I make my getaway. It quits working if you do it too often but they still get the point.
ahnutts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:33   #14

Thanks all, I might be tempted to wear my speedo around (ever seen a frog in a speedo) but it is getting to cold for that now. My saving grace is we are will getting hauled for the winter so I got till next spring to come up with a plan.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:39   #15

Boat: Skookum 53'

Buy a dead goat and take a weed burner and burn the hair off of him, and if that don't earn you a few enemies nothing will.