Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2018, 07:36   #106

Re: Do you worry about Pirates?

Well here’s some wisdom for thought

( never take a knife to a gun fight )

So what do you do if someone brings a gun fight to you ?

That’s the big question here ?
Old 06-08-2018, 07:41   #107

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
He shot and killed three people that were trying to steal what?

Three people died and he's not in jail?

Do you have more information?

Personally I'd rather be locked inside safe and let stuff be stolen than kill someone. Killing someone, let alone three people is a fairly permanent cause of action. If your physically in danger then I understand but theft?
I am reasonable sure, there is more to the story than we are told.
You are defending your home and the contents of your home plus you are in fear of your life and loved ones.

Permanent solution, yup. They wont be doing that again.

If you see and old man with a .45acp, run and hide. Chances are he can accomplish the task with 3 or 4 shots where as the younger set needs at least 9. Due to the price of ammo, there will be no warning shots. No witnesses to dispute that.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:15   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedawg View Post
Forgive me, but your comment makes you appear more hateful and prejudiced than experienced and knowledgeable.

I am unaware of a single example of "Americans with guns" who brought harm to their fellow sailors, or their vessels, let alone at a higher incidence than piracy.

Can you point to any statistics at all which make your fear rational? Anecdotal accounts, even? Any justification whatsoever for making such a blanket condemnation?
That statement was from another liberal who thinks telling a thief, pirate etc will
Just leave because the thieves are stupid people n will say ok smart person, we will not kill u or steal from u
Old 06-08-2018, 12:41   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Those are the ones I worry about. The dress up pirate idiots and the ones that work in marinas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
You are defending your home and the contents of your home plus you are in fear of your life and loved ones.

Was
If you see and old man with a .45acp, run and hide. Chances are he can accomplish the task with 3 or 4 shots where as the younger set needs at least 9. Due to the price of ammo, there will be no warning shots. No witnesses to dispute that.
The sailor was at anchor n asleep. He shot three n the fourth escaped . They were with guns n shots were supposedly shot by both sides. Again addicts I’m sure. Sad
Old 06-08-2018, 13:06   #110

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post

Yeah, I get it: old man, packin' a 45, who's thinking about pirates around every corner and itching to shoot them. Yeah, tough guy.

But you know, it isn't worth it. You gotta gun, you gotta think about it all the time, Is it safe? Is the safety on? Can the kids get to it? Can I get to it if I need it? on and on. I've got better things to think about.

Then there is the trauma of using it. When do you decide that the panga with two guys in baklavas are pirates or fisherman? Do you wait until they are alongside and draw their guns or do you start shooting when they are 100ft off and don't turn away? Do you pull your weapon if they don't look right, and shoot if they make a wrong move? Do you really want to be in a gun fight and possibly kill somebody who's main threat was to steal your money? I don't know about you but if I killed somebody I'd probably spend a lot of sleepless nights thinking about that moment and that guy. Maybe you'd never give it a thought. Guess you're more of a man than me.

Then there is the hassle and legality of it all. You are either illegal or you turn over the gun to every official in most places you visit. If you chose to be illegal than you run the risk of being jailed and/or losing your boat.

No, in the final analysis it just isn't worth it to me. In thirty years of cruising I've never seen a gun in the hands of anyone other than a military man or a police man. Sometimes I've been a bit worried about my surroundings but I can tell you I wouldn't be any more comfortable knowing that I might soon be shooting. No, You carry it, you deal with it, you can live in your macho, tough guy fantasy, and spend your life thinking about who you're going to shoot next. I'll pass.
Old 06-08-2018, 13:48   #111

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedawg View Post
Forgive me, but your comment makes you appear more hateful and prejudiced than experienced and knowledgeable.

I am unaware of a single example of "Americans with guns" who brought harm to their fellow sailors, or their vessels, let alone at a higher incidence than piracy.

Can you point to any statistics at all which make your fear rational? Anecdotal accounts, even? Any justification whatsoever for making such a blanket condemnation?
Open your eyes
Only need to look at the news on any day to see Americans with guns randomly killing their fellow man.
Logic says some of those Americans own boats

Pirates? I see them in the fantasy movies
Old 06-08-2018, 14:19   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Yeah, I get it: old man, packin' a 45, who's thinking about pirates around every corner and itching to shoot them. Yeah, tough guy.

But you know, it isn't worth it. You gotta gun, you gotta think about it all the time, Is it safe? Is the safety on? Can the kids get to it? Can I get to it if I need it? on and on. I've got better things to think about.

Then there is the trauma of using it. When do you decide that the panga with two guys in baklavas are pirates or fisherman? Do you wait until they are alongside and draw their guns or do you start shooting when they are 100ft off and don't turn away? Do you pull your weapon if they don't look right, and shoot if they make a wrong move? Do you really want to be in a gun fight and possibly kill somebody who's main threat was to steal your money? I don't know about you but if I killed somebody I'd probably spend a lot of sleepless nights thinking about that moment and that guy. Maybe you'd never give it a thought. Guess you're more of a man than me.

Then there is the hassle and legality of it all. You are either illegal or you turn over the gun to every official in most places you visit. If you chose to be illegal than you run the risk of being jailed and/or losing your boat.

No, in the final analysis it just isn't worth it to me. In thirty years of cruising I've never seen a gun in the hands of anyone other than a military man or a police man. Sometimes I've been a bit worried about my surroundings but I can tell you I wouldn't be any more comfortable knowing that I might soon be shooting. No, You carry it, you deal with it, you can live in your macho, tough guy fantasy, and spend your life thinking about who you're going to shoot next. I'll pass.
I am not macho. I am in fear that the pirates will want more than my money. I will defend myself, and my loved ones.
If I see someone pointing gun at you, if appears you do not me to defend you.

Why not put a sign on the outside of your boat, "This is a gun free zone." That will tell people, they can rob you and/or steal your boat, and not worry about you defending yourself causing them harm. If you expect them so show no evil intent, I am happy for you.
If you expect the criminals not to have a weapon because the law says, they cannot own a gun, you are wrong. Sadly, those times have passed. There was a time when the British police were not armed because the criminals were unarmed too. And when the RCMP carried only a hand gun for protection against animals. The RCMP were so well respected, back in the 1800s, a US armed force was moving a tribe of Indian back into Canada. They were met by one RCMP at the border. He took charge of the tribe and moved them further north into Canada because each respected the other. The Bobbies treated the criminals with respect and the criminal treated the Bobbies with respect.
Now, it is almost 'open season' on the LLO. In the past, inn the US, if a cop was shot, the shooter's life was worth nothing and they were hunted down relentlessly.

I'm done commenting on this subject. Do what you wish and the decision you can live with. It is your request and desire not to be defended. I have no problem with your decision.
Old 06-08-2018, 14:28   #113
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

If I sailed the coast of Somalia, Yemen, the Phillipines, Indonesia...I might be more worried about pirates. But there's a much higher chance I',, be carjacked and beaten in the parking lot of my local WalMart. Or, simply stopped at a red light in a bad neighborhood.

So no, I don't worry much about pirates. They're way down on the list.
Old 06-08-2018, 14:41   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
If I sailed the coast of Somalia, Yemen, the Phillipines, Indonesia...I might be more worried about pirates. But there's a much higher chance I',, be carjacked and beaten in the parking lot of my local WalMart. Or, simply stopped at a red light in a bad neighborhood.

In my mind, you made a valid observation.
On my boat, the shotgun and hand gun are safely tucked away but, can be gotten if necessary. They do not have a shell in the chamber.
Old 06-08-2018, 15:01   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

While I hate the whole idea of pirates.....we do need to look at our own backyards for perspective....From CNN today.....

Chicago police announced at a Monday morning news conference that 66 people were shot, 12 of them fatally, between Friday at 6 p.m. and Sunday at 11:59 p.m.
Old 06-08-2018, 15:07   #116

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
While I hate the whole idea of pirates.....we do need to look at our own backyards for perspective....From CNN today.....

Chicago police announced at a Monday morning news conference that 66 people were shot, 12 of them fatally, between Friday at 6 p.m. and Sunday at 11:59 p.m.

My point exactly
I am more afraid of Americans with guns than imaginary pirates.
Old 06-08-2018, 15:31   #117

Americans Chiago,with guns�� st Lucians with guns, Somalians with guns etc. it really doesn’t Matter much anymore, tv , drugs have changed the world. You cannot hide from it, crushing ( our last freedom) on land USA , Europe Middle East , Thailand’s coast, all
Want money n don’t care how to get. Sick as it seems, hiding under the covers sucking on your thumb is a think of the past.
Old 06-08-2018, 16:00   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post

Simi, the majority of the shooters' were not authorized nor allowed nor permitted to carry guns legally.

The point is, the criminal elements do not obey the laws.

I suspect, when the shooting stopped and the police arrived, some of the illegal guns "disappeared", passed down to be used another day.

People stopped listening to the same tired excuses from the parents of those involved. There is no excuse. It was open gang warfare. I suspect, many if not all of those shooters involved have a history of gun violence.
Old 06-08-2018, 19:40   #119

On the other hand, just hopng really hard that nothing bad happens, is not really a plan.
Old 06-08-2018, 22:15   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post

Why did we even have to go there? The thread was originally asking if you worry about pirates, not whether or not we have a right to defend ourselves. Some of the posting in here makes me sick when people jump up on their soap boxes and tell the rest of us what we can, and cannot do, or should, because somebody thinks their morals are above others.

Closed Thread