Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2012, 23:18   #1

Boat: Oyster 45
Do you use Nautical Terms or Plain Language?

So when you learn to sail they throw all these nautical terms at you and along the way you also pick up some more.

Some people even use them in normal conversations for some reason.

I have been on boats with other skippers who will only ever use the correct nautical term for everything and if you don't know them the skipper can be a pain in the butt.

Now sailing with family and non boaty visitors I find it far easier to refer to left, right, back and front, the yellow rope (no the other yellow rope), bathroom etc.

Does nautical speak still have a place on a boat or is plain language the way to go?
Old 27-05-2012, 23:21   #2

Boat: Sea Sprite 34
Re: Do you use nautical terms or plain language.

Usually try to use correct nautical terms, but usually just point and say "that thing right " or "no, not that, that" and try to point a little harder
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 23:26   #3

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

I try to use the more common nautical terms as they are specific to the situation. If the crew is half way interested they will learn them, if not , look for better crew.
In an emergency, the ability to be precise and understood will give you a major safety edge.
Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 23:30   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

I do recall a time when someone on the boat pointed forward and said "look at that turkey". Looking forward and down the hatch I saw a crew member cutting meat on the counter making nice marks on it. I was a bit pissed about that.

That someone then again said " That turkey is going to run into us".

Fast focus to the boat on a collision course....

As I recall I told them "You are a turkey and I am a turkey but a boat is a boat".

All those nautical terms take ambiguity out of the conversation at a time of need.

When introducing new crew I express that I would like proper nautical terms used. (if you don't know ask) I tell the turkey story and then ask them to look left. My left, your left or the boats left. And then explain that port and starboard are referenced to the boat and not to a person who may be facing any direction.

So yes on the boat I use the proper terms (mostly). Pointing works good also.

Regards
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 23:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boden36 View Post
I try to use the more common nautical terms as they are specific to the situation. If the crew is half way interested they will learn them, if not , look for better crew.
In an emergency, the ability to be precise and understood will give you a major safety edge.
Regards,
Richard.
As we live aboard our boat I think my wife and kids would object to being thrown off.
Besides there is no better crew. As skipper the first mate gives me a few privileges occasionally where as your first mate might have to shave first!
Old 27-05-2012, 23:40   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Powerboats are a bit different but on sailboats it's a necessity!

Nautical terms have a important purpose. So one can know the difference between a topping lift and a main halyard, and so on........

If a boat's Captain is going to ask someone to handle lines then he needs to teach his crew the proper definition of each item so there is no confusion. Otherwise, they should be treated as guests and stay out of the way while deck gear and facilities is being use.

Personally, I refuse to take people out unless they understand the safety issues in either helping or staying seated. That's for the cattle boats to cater to the ignorant!
Old 27-05-2012, 23:43   #7
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

I try to adjust to audience. On the other hand, had a discussion on this very subject with a licensed full captain and he was perplexed when I explained that I couldn't be bothered to learn all the names of sails and rigging on a Fregatta (full rigged ship). To him it was a kind of blasphemy. Well, I still politely pointed out, that brain is not a junkyard and as I never expect to either crew or skipper such a ship this info is useless to me. What I try to say is that I learn those terms which apply to my sailing (safety included). Whether I use them depends on who I am talking to.

Marius
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 23:52   #8

Surely it is understanding that is more important than the actual words used.
My family and I understand each other and we don't always use correct terms.
I know exactly what they mean when they say "There is a log floating in the toilet and it causes no confusion"
Over the last year or so I have had to learn French, Spanish and next will be Portuguese. All nautical terms have no meaning when I sail with friends we met in these countries but we still know how to sail.
Old 28-05-2012, 02:27   #9
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Any occupation has its own language, usually for a good reason. Sure, some try to use speciality words in such a way to be mysterious or exclusive or just to be a tosser.

I use mostly nautical terms unless I am speaking with someone who doesn't know them. If they are interested, I will explain otherwise I will use non-nautical descriptors and watch carefully to see that they understand. I don't get spiffy about either way and there is plenty of rope aboard my boat (or should that be "plenty of rope on my floating home").

The purpose of correctly using common nautical terms like mast, sail, sheet, halyard, anchor, rudder, keel, deck, tiller, bow, stern, port, starboard, spinnaker, aboard and so on just seems to be so obvious, why won't one use them.

However, YMMV
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 03:14   #10

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

At home, do you go to the laundry to make a sandwich, or go upstairs to the toilet to take a nap?
Old 28-05-2012, 04:33   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Do you use Nautical Terms or Plain Language?

All of the esoteric terms become plain language over time. We started our early days of sailing with some objection to the jargon, but over the years the useful nautical terms have become very plain.
Old 28-05-2012, 05:03   #12

Boat: Mason 43

you can have your own dialect and call things name you want but communication is the most important safety tool that there is on a boat. How would you tell some one to snug up the vang, ease the main's leachline. How would you tell someone who was below (downstairs ) facing you that the switch thay needed was on a paqnel on the aft side of the starboard wet locker? No, communication and terminology are as important as that hooky thing with the rope on it.
jmackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 05:14   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

On my sailboat, I use nautical terms to people that understand them and plain english to those that don't. Many guests of mine are not familiar with sailing so the nautical terms would be meaningless anyway.

When I was a professional boat capt in the oilfields in the Gulf of Mex, nautical terms were always used in radio communications. Other than that, on our boat it was a 50/50 mix. If someone else was steering the boat, the capt would usually say go a little more to the right or maybe 5 degrees to the right. Port and starboard were rarely used in the wheelhouse except on the radio or if someone was downstairs looking for something and you wanted to give precise location. This was not just on one boat. I was on many boats and this was the norm.

I had an old friend that used to use nautical terms on his boat with non-boaters. They didn't know what he was talking about and often were confused and embarrassed.

I say use nautical terms when appropriate.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 05:35   #14

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

ARRRRRRRG ye scurvy bilge rats, I always use me plain english. If ye can't heeve yer weight, ye'll taste the cat. Now weigh the anchor, and trim the sheets, or to davy jones with ya.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 05:41   #15

Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"

Most of my sailing is with inexperienced crew so I'm basically single handing. It is nice to have help on the tiller and makes the crew feel useful. I run into problems with "fall off" and "head up"as there is no real analog in real life. I point alot which helps but then there is tiller vs wheel which some never catch on to(mostly blonde). Dave
DaveOnCudjoe is offline   Reply With Quote