Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2012, 22:06   #61
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Do you use Nautical Terms or Plain Language?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
A good trimmer will ease or harden as needed.
Not on my boat. If I ask you to trim, you may ease or harden as needed. If I tell ask you to ease, you ease.
Old 30-05-2012, 00:01   #62

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Ex-Calif,
I think if you can bop your crew with a monkey's fist then you are approaching a fine state of curmudgeonness.
Old 30-05-2012, 00:48   #63

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb

I suspect most of the time it's a 75%-25% nautical to plain english...
but most of visitors are already into the boat thing and kinda enjoy the break from jive and ghetto ebonics.
It starts out at probably 25%-75% but ends up the other way around depending on how much time they spend...and how much hands on they do.
Old 30-05-2012, 06:11   #64

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Ex-Calif,
I think if you can bop your crew with a monkey's fist then you are approaching a fine state of curmudgeonness.
"The rum shall be watered until morale improves."
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 06:19   #65

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

I use what I would imagine most 'casual sailors' use, a mixture of both. It's down to common sense and working with the knowledge of the persons on board.

I'm currently cruising with a good friend of mine who although keen, knows little about the correct terminology (although he's learning..... :P ) so in most cases, if I'd like something done quickly, it's alot safer to just use plain English and point, "that thing there, grab it and don't let go!", etc.
Old 30-05-2012, 06:58   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I'm sometimes amused, but never upset with the misunderstandings of nautical terms and I try to use terms that are appropriate for the listener. I fondly remember backing into a slip with some help offered from the dock and someone asked me what to do with one of the lines. I must have said, "Just belay it on that cleat" or maybe " B'lay it on that cleat". Regardless, I looked over later and saw that a span of the line was laid across the top of the cleat and the remaining portion neatly coiled beyond the cleat. I still get a chuckle thinking of that.
Old 30-05-2012, 08:51   #67

Boat: Island Packet 380

We use nautical terms whenever we can, I never knew right from left and only think in port and starboard without any translation necessary.

One question I have run into on our new (used) boat in the last week or so, when instructing our daughter to help pull out the main....

This new to us boat has a furling main. Now, I understand what a main halyard is and what the main sheet is for. But with a furler that has 2 lines, one to pull it in and one to pull it out, what I am to call these lines? I assume one is a main furler, but what of the other one? It would not be correct to call either one a halyard.

So, had to resort to instructing her pull on the black speckled line. Help educate me, what should I call these lines?
Old 30-05-2012, 09:41   #68

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsailing View Post
This new to us boat has a furling main. Now, I understand what a main halyard is and what the main sheet is for. But with a furler that has 2 lines, one to pull it in and one to pull it out, what I am to call these lines? I assume one is a main furler, but what of the other one? It would not be correct to call either one a halyard.

So, had to resort to instructing her pull on the black speckled line. Help educate me, what should I call these lines?
It'd be just like a jib furler, a "main furling line", but one is "furl in" and the other is "furl out".
Unless it were a continuos line, if they had different colors that would help with any confusion. Green for out, red for in.
Old 30-05-2012, 10:18   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsailing View Post
One question I have run into on our new (used) boat in the last week or so, when instructing our daughter to help pull out the main....

The line used to haul out the main is the outhaul. The line used to furl the sail back into the mast is the furling line.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 12:35   #70

Boat: Skookum 53'

When manning the helm on ships the visiting pilots use "Left" and "Right" with regards to steering the ship. I use nautical terms, most uninitiated get into the spirit of things when aboard and they endeavor to pick up the lingo. Nautical language has it's place. It should not be used as weapon to insult someone who doesn't know the language or in a demeaning manner. Isn't there enough meanness in the world? It's not what you do, it's how you do it.
Old 30-05-2012, 12:59   #71
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackay View Post
How would you tell some one to snug up the vang, ease the main's leachline. How would you tell someone who was below (downstairs ) facing you that the switch thay needed was on a paqnel on the aft side of the starboard wet locker? No, communication and terminology are as important as that hooky thing with the rope on it.
That pretty much covers it in my mind. However, if the person I am speaking with won't know what I am saying then it's not to useful to say it. So I explain it in non nautical terms and then give them the correct verbiage.

One very fine day the fact that someone didn't know what a sheet was landed us all in the water. Of course at that point he couldn't even process "Let go of the ROPE" either, so sometime nothin is gonna help.

Good reason to practice ad nauseaum when it's not crunch time...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 17:31   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy

"The rum shall be watered until morale improves."
The beatings will continue until morale improves...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 17:43   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale

The line used to haul out the main is the outhaul. The line used to furl the sail back into the mast is the furling line.
In mast furling can have 3 lines - furl in, furl out and outhaul. The furling lines can go to a winch on the mast - the winch has a lock. Commands for this can get confusing.

I was sailng and called for deploying the main. The crew advised the main was stuck. One spinlock clutch was in the half up position. Commands for this eventually excaped me and ai had to step over and get things going.

"the furler is stuck"
"check the lock on the winch"
"here?" (piano winch)
"no. At the mast' the sail roll sometimes jams coming out the slot if not furled right - check that too"
"Looks fine up here. Maybe josh needs to winch the outhaul"
"we shouldn't need to be winching anything to deploy the sail. oh. The clutch is on for the furling line."
"i released it."
"not all the way"
"what do you mean all the way"
"both clutches need to be pushed all the way forward"
"both clutches?"
"yes. Both in and out"
"in and out?"
"yes"
"where?"

Step forward release clutch...

Communication can be hard...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 17:50   #74

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I mostly us plain english with my wife. (Blonde) The only exception is port and starboard since she doesnt know her left from right. And yes she does read this forum.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 23:53   #75

Boat: Oyster 45

On a practical sailing exam I was asked to sit at the back of the boat and instruct my pretend novice crew on how to put in a reef by verbal commands only. (testing knowledge and how you spoke to the crew)
After about half an hour they managed it and I was only just managing my frustration.
I was then told to put the same reef in on my own. It took less than five minutes.
If you ever want to test yourself it is an excellent exercise and if you ask for from feedback from the crew you will realise how differently we all give commands and how clear you are making yourself.
Four of us did a similar exercise over the week and one (it has to be said he was pretty obnoxious) chap totally lost it just shouting at everyone. It was good to give him feedback in some pretty plain language