Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2016, 08:28   #1

Boat: Pearson 34-II
DNA Links Native Americans With Europeans

Through the wonders of DNA research conducted by Professor Eske Willerslev of the University of Copenhagen, Science has finally proven that Native Americans are not a pure population, as they have historically claimed, but rather carry up to 40% of European genes in their DNA. Significant cultural mixing of Europeans and Asians occurred in Siberia before the Bering Strait land migration into North America. This explains why many of the archeological finds of skeletal remains in North America show distinct European features as seen in Washington State's Kennewick Man. This also weakens the Solutrean Hypothesis that stated that Europeans from Southern Spain followed the ice sheets across the North Atlantic in skin boats to the Eastern seaboard of North America as witnessed by the Solutrean spear/arrow points found along the Eastern seaboard. Follows is the interesting article in Science Nordic. Good luck and safe sailing.
sciencenordic.com/dna-links-native-americans-europeans
Old 16-05-2016, 01:48   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: DNA Links Native Americans With Europeans

Interesting. I suspect this will be refuted by some Native leaders, as it just doesn't fit their narrative. On the other hand, it shows how closely we are all related. I've been thinking of getting that DNA testing done on myself and my family. Although I can trace my family back to the mid 1700's, the area they live in was eastern Germany/Estonia/Poland. The Huns certainly spread some of their DNA into that area, and I wonder if that reflects in my ancestry.
Old 16-05-2016, 06:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Interesting. I suspect this will be refuted by some Native leaders, as it just doesn't fit their narrative. On the other hand, it shows how closely we are all related. I've been thinking of getting that DNA testing done on myself and my family. Although I can trace my family back to the mid 1700's, the area they live in was eastern Germany/Estonia/Poland. The Huns certainly spread some of their DNA into that area, and I wonder if that reflects in my ancestry.

AVB,
The best test available today is at Oxford University in England. The program is run by Brian Sykes, geneticist and author, who has written many books concerning the ancestral lineages of human populations. It costs about $300. It will trace your patrilineal line(father) but cannot test your matrilineal line. That must be done by your mother or a sister. DNA has provided serious scholars with an indisputable glimpse into our human past and has greatly affected the fields of anthropology, history, science, biology and, of course, genetics. May I recommend Syke's first book "The Seven Daughters of Eve" that traces all humanity to seven different mothers based upon DNA. As a side note, your particular heritage--the Germanic tribes of Central/Western/Eastern Europe were the founding populations for the British Isles by the Picts, Celts, Angles and Saxons. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 16-05-2016, 09:32   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
AVB,
The best test available today is at Oxford University in England. The program is run by Brian Sykes, geneticist and author, who has written many books concerning the ancestral lineages of human populations. It costs about $300. It will trace your patrilineal line(father) but cannot test your matrilineal line. That must be done by your mother or a sister. DNA has provided serious scholars with an indisputable glimpse into our human past and has greatly affected the fields of anthropology, history, science, biology and, of course, genetics. May I recommend Syke's first book "The Seven Daughters of Eve" that traces all humanity to seven different mothers based upon DNA. As a side note, your particular heritage--the Germanic tribes of Central/Western/Eastern Europe were the founding populations for the British Isles by the Picts, Celts, Angles and Saxons. Good luck and safe sailing.
Thanks for the info, I thought the National Geographic and 29andme were the only public ones available.

I also thought we all carry a mitochondrial DNA signature that is the female line back to the metaphorical Eve? But I truly am only a lay person as far as my knowledge goes on this.
Old 16-05-2016, 09:37   #5

A lot of interesting stuff lately with DNA results. Including the fact that we all have ~ 1.5% Neanderthal in us! It is now believed that the Neaderthal's didn't die out, they were assimilated by interbreeding.
I never heard Native Americans were ever considered a pure population by before though...?
IIRC correctly from the wonderful PBS show I saw last winter the Bering Straight land bridge theory is not considered completely accurate anymore...? Cant remember for sure...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 13:28   #6

"I also thought we all carry a mitochondrial DNA signature that is the female line back to the metaphorical Eve." AVB

AVB,
Thanks for the above statement. Perhaps I didn't explain it as clearly as I should have. Here's a quote and a link to the Oxford site: "A person’s maternal ancestry is traced by mitochondrial DNA or mtDNA for short. Both men and women possess mtDNA, but only women pass it on to their children." Oxford Ancestors. Under paternal ancestry, they state: Only men have a Y-Chromosome, which they inherited from their fathers and will pass on to their sons. However, women can easily find out about their paternal ancestry from the yDNA of a male relative, their father or brother, for instance. The yDNA traces a man’s unbroken paternal line back way into the past in the same manner that your maternal ancestry is traced by mtDNA Read the section on Paternal/Maternal ancestry. A full explanation of DNA testing can be found at their site:" Oxford Ancestors Ltd - Home Hope this helps. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 16-05-2016, 13:39   #7

"I never heard Native Americans were ever considered a pure population by before though...?" Cheech

Cheech,
I was referring to the well-publicized archeological controversy of Native Americans disallowing archeological research of early North American human remains as an offense to their ancestors. The case of KennewicK Man in Washington State was an excellent example where it was advanced that European Americans did not have the right to disinter and study Native American skeletal remains. Here a good link: Ancient American genome rekindles legal row : Nature News & Comment Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 16-05-2016, 14:34   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

EUROPEAN genes?

Me ROFLing and Frau Angela on cloud nine.

So, honestly, which Europeans: these from Copenhagen or those from Sarajevo?

;-)

Now we are ready to kick out them yanks and get our land back! ;-)

ROFL ROFL ROFL

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 15:03   #9

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

DNA testing for genealogy is quite fascinating.
Ancients moved around more than many realize.
I have tested with 23 and me and also Family Tree DNA.
My preference is with FTDNA, as their testing has more possibilities.
Not all that expensive and for those with a historical bent most interesting.
You may find your Inner Viking!

Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 15:20   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

As it turns out, I too am from a very old family! We were well settled in the horn of Africa 3 million years ago and established a foothold in the Fertile Crescent about ten thousand years ago. It's such a joy to find so many of my family here on the Cruisers Forum! 'just goes to show,- 'small world, eh?
Old 17-05-2016, 06:28   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
EUROPEAN genes?

Me ROFLing and Frau Angela on cloud nine.

So, honestly, which Europeans: these from Copenhagen or those from Sarajevo?

;-)

Now we are ready to kick out them yanks and get our land back! ;-)

ROFL ROFL ROFL

b.

B,
I don't understand the humor. But, I suppose some people found it funny when Galileo said the earth was round rather than flat-- as dictated by the Roman Catholic Church. Here's a recap of professor Willerslev's groundbreaking research corroborating these findings: Americas’ natives have European roots : Nature News & Comment
Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 17-05-2016, 07:30   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

When you consider that 65% of the human genome is identical to that of a chicken, it's less surprising to find linkage among different ethnic groups.
Of course, the point being made here is that the link between Native Americans and Europeans may be more recent than previously thought; however, the link itself could never be in question.

o
Old 17-05-2016, 08:21   #13
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
When you consider that 65% of the human genome is identical to that of a chicken
I had my DNA checked to confirm my English heritage!

They found I am 50% banana, 65% chicken, 1.5% Neanderthal, and 0.1% drunk. I walked out before they told me my percentage Chimp

Mark

Sent from a stupid phone that replaces words with weird stuff.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 08:35   #14

[QUOTE=Hudson Force;2122467]When you consider that 65% of the human genome is identical to that of a chicken, it's less surprising to find linkage among different ethnic groups.
Of course, the point being made here is that the link between Native Americans and Europeans may be more recent than previously thought; however, the link itself could never be in question.

Hud,
Your observations are grounded in Science, not Politics. However, Native Americans have long claimed they are a distinct group and were the first settlers of North America that preceded European populations. It has been their basis for their political assertions for Native Rights, Federal Funding Programs and Affirmative Action. Science always prevails and recent DNA studies have turned the tables on junk science and politics. Now we must live with the cold, hard facts as Pope John Paul II was forced to do in October 1992 when he finally changed the Church's stance that the earth was no longer the center of our solar system almost 400 years after Galileo's discovery---whew . . . that must have been a tough one! Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 17-05-2016, 08:45   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
As it turns out, I too am from a very old family! We were well settled in the horn of Africa 3 million years ago and established a foothold in the Fertile Crescent about ten thousand years ago. It's such a joy to find so many of my family here on the Cruisers Forum! 'just goes to show,- 'small world, eh?
Hi cuz, sorry I wasn't there for the reading of great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandpa's will

I suppose my share's in some high-interest Caymans account - no rush over the money of course - how's tomorrow?

unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Europe, rope