Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-03-2016, 16:28   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Dingy?

Unclestinkybob,

It can be done. Carefully fender it, especially the sharp bits. Make up a small drogue for it, like a series drogue, using cones sewn up from pvc cloth, like herculon. For ours, we made a bridle for the stern out of old line, and used an old nylon 3-strand ex-dock line to attach the cones. The weight is a length of old chain. Lasts forever, and it can't then surf up and strike your stern.

We tow our 11 foot inflatable, with the drogue set up for quick release when it gets obstreperous down wind. We lose a knot from it. But don't tow it with the motor on. It is a good deal if the dinghy can self-bail. If your's doesn't, make a waterproof cover for it to keep out the water. This is all doable.

Ann

Old 21-03-2016, 16:48   #17
Coastal Cruiser.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lancer 30-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Unclestinkybob,

It can be done. Carefully fender it, especially the sharp bits. Make up a small drogue for it, like a series drogue, using cones sewn up from pvc cloth, like herculon. For ours, we made a bridle for the stern out of old line, and used an old nylon 3-strand ex-dock line to attach the cones. The weight is a length of old chain. Lasts forever, and it can't then surf up and strike your stern.

We tow our 11 foot inflatable, with the drogue set up for quick release when it gets obstreperous down wind. We lose a knot from it. But don't tow it with the motor on. It is a good deal if the dinghy can self-bail. If your's doesn't, make a waterproof cover for it to keep out the water. This is all doable.

Ann
Thank you Ann. I had though of a good stiff cover with a couple of fiber glass bows, kept low to gunnels, keep windage down.
I know I would really get a lot of use out of this 12' tinny and a little 5hp, more than the inflatable. I fish a lot, spiny fish mostly, rockfish, yellow eye, my favorite is ling cod. Not so good in a balloon boat so it limit's my fishing, thus my eating of my favorite food. also pulling crab pot's, shrimp pot's, much better in a hard dink. Thanks for your words of wisdom and encouragement.

Old 22-03-2016, 02:07   #18

Boat: Island Packet 40

I have towed that sized dingy in open water but I fitted it with an all over cover to keep it from filling with water and they will definitely surf and try to climb into the cockpit with you.

I now have an 8' alloy dingy and never tow it in open water where any sort of sea might eventuate, learnt that one from bitter experience.

The paint eating habits of hard dinghies can be tamed by blind riveting 2" black poly pipe around the chines. I drill 1" holes through one side so that the rivet puller can reach into the inside to pull the 1/4" closed rivets I use. I used to use SS washers under the rivet heads but, they corrode out the rivets so now cut square washers from thin walled alloy pipe by splitting it then sawing off about 1" long sections from the splits and drilling a hole in the middle of them.
Old 22-03-2016, 08:09   #19
Coastal Cruiser.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I have towed that sized dingy in open water but I fitted it with an all over cover to keep it from filling with water and they will definitely surf and try to climb into the cockpit with you.

I now have an 8' alloy dingy and never tow it in open water where any sort of sea might eventuate, learnt that one from bitter experience.

The paint eating habits of hard dinghies can be tamed by blind riveting 2" black poly pipe around the chines. I drill 1" holes through one side so that the rivet puller can reach into the inside to pull the 1/4" closed rivets I use. I used to use SS washers under the rivet heads but, they corrode out the rivets so now cut square washers from thin walled alloy pipe by splitting it then sawing off about 1" long sections from the splits and drilling a hole in the middle of them.
Excellent idea! I'm going to figure it out, such as you did. I think it can be done, and I know I would enjoy the added benefits of a 12' boat to fish and crab from. I'm a gunkholing kind of guy, I like to be off the hook early and drop hook early afternoon and if the days nasty, just sit on the hook and read a good book. Retirement has me living a sedate life, and I'm liking it. Thanks for sharing your methods for adapting the dink to your needs.
Old 22-03-2016, 08:43   #20

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Here is my solution to the dinghy problem. I've had deflatables, hard dinks and now the porta-bote. It lives on Kayak racks outside the rails. Got tired of obstructed views forward.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mexico trip 02-16 014.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	121239   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mexico trip 02-16 015.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	121240  

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 08:59   #21
Coastal Cruiser.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Here is my solution to the dinghy problem. I've had deflatables, hard dinks and now the porta-bote. It lives on Kayak racks outside the rails. Got tired of obstructed views forward.
That is really a nice set up. How much do those porta-boats weight? Are they stable boats? How do you think pulling a crab pot would be? Your setup solves every issue if the dink is stable. Sorry for all the questions, you guys know so much and I have so much to learn. Thanks again!
Old 22-03-2016, 09:04   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

towing in puget sound should be ok. pacific ocean towing means someone else gets a free dink. make sure if going into pacific you place on deck.
there are always swells in pacific and the folks i knew who towed found nothing back there..... soooooo..........
dinghy--i use walker bay 10, stowed on my deck under my mainboom. i used to use walker bay 8 on my bow. the 10 i snot as tender a tender as is the 8 ft hard dink.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 09:22   #23
Coastal Cruiser.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
towing in puget sound should be ok. pacific ocean towing means someone else gets a free dink. make sure if going into pacific you place on deck.
there are always swells in pacific and the folks i knew who towed found nothing back there..... soooooo..........
dinghy--i use walker bay 10, stowed on my deck under my mainboom. i used to use walker bay 8 on my bow. the 10 i snot as tender a tender as is the 8 ft hard dink.
I had thought of that actually, When I head down the coast I'd leave it behind, my daughter live's close to my marina so that works. I always liked the walker bay tender, just great classic lines.
Used around here in really good shape typically are selling for 500 or less. I don't think even a 10 would fit on deck, I'm sure an 8 would though. You can buy or make a sail kit for those also, right? That would be kinda fun to, turn the grandkids loose in it around the bays, they would love that. much to consider here. thank you Z!!
Old 22-03-2016, 09:37   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

For local sailing it's not a big problem. You could get into trouble with it occasionally.... like if you get caught out in the Straight on a windy day. But a 12ft Valco is likely a $300 boat, so worst case scenario is you "cut 'er free"! That dingy will be nice if you do beaching and exploring in our rocky, barnacle infested beaches. The Power boaters tow them way back behind the boat... like 100 ft or more.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 09:39   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
That is really a nice set up. How much do those porta-boats weight? Are they stable boats? How do you think pulling a crab pot would be? Your setup solves every issue if the dink is stable. Sorry for all the questions, you guys know so much and I have so much to learn. Thanks again!
Hey Bob, there was a 12 ft portabote on Craigs list last week up here.$450 http://skagit.craigslist.org/boa/5485935004.html

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 09:58   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The 12' boat is free, hard to beat free.
Old 22-03-2016, 09:58   #27
Coastal Cruiser.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
For local sailing it's not a big problem. You could get into trouble with it occasionally.... like if you get caught out in the Straight on a windy day. But a 12ft Valco is likely a $300 boat, so worst case scenario is you "cut 'er free"! That dingy will be nice if you do beaching and exploring in our rocky, barnacle infested beaches. The Power boaters tow them way back behind the boat... like 100 ft or more.
Thanks Cheechako! thats a great deal on a porta-boat, I'm going to be up that way in a few weeks, might have to take a look.
I grew up on the Oly Pen, sitting down on a beach for lunch with nothing but a pocket knife is one of my favorite things to do. it's amazing how many of those little critter's on rocks and in tide pools taste so good, most taste the best raw. That reminds me of the first raw oyster I ate. My cousin owned a beach front house on Right Smart Cove, Hoods Canal, nice oyster beds. My uncle Jack was sitting on a rock eating raw oysters, when I walk by he offered me one, nope nasty says I, I was 7. He grabs me up and shoves a raw oyster in my mouth! I almost puked, LOL, a few minutes later he was trying to shoe me away....he couldn't open them fast enough for the both of us. ha ha ha, good memories!!!
Old 22-03-2016, 10:08   #28
Coastal Cruiser.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The 12' boat is free, hard to beat free.
Right? I keep looking but just can't find a better price,, oh He's going to deliver it to. loaded up with two crab pots, anchor&lines, half the boat is full of gear. I'm going to take the deal, even if I don't end up using as my tender, it would get a lot of use.
Old 22-03-2016, 10:19   #29
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
Right? I keep looking but just can't find a better price,, oh He's going to deliver it to. loaded up with two crab pots, anchor&lines, half the boat is full of gear. I'm going to take the deal, even if I don't end up using as my tender, it would get a lot of use.
SCORE!!!!!

and ye do not have to name it EXPEND-ABLE!!!!!!
expAndable is more appropriate, whoooot.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 10:39   #30
Coastal Cruiser.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
SCORE!!!!!

and ye do not have to name it EXPEND-ABLE!!!!!!
expAndable is more appropriate, whoooot.
HA HA HA, most appropriate!!!!
So I think it's going to be a two dink thing, the tinny for the Sound and a smaller dink for the deck when I go outside. Can a guy have to many boats? LOL

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: