Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2016, 16:28   #16
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 10,673
Re: Dingy?

Unclestinkybob,

It can be done. Carefully fender it, especially the sharp bits. Make up a small drogue for it, like a series drogue, using cones sewn up from pvc cloth, like herculon. For ours, we made a bridle for the stern out of old line, and used an old nylon 3-strand ex-dock line to attach the cones. The weight is a length of old chain. Lasts forever, and it can't then surf up and strike your stern.

We tow our 11 foot inflatable, with the drogue set up for quick release when it gets obstreperous down wind. We lose a knot from it. But don't tow it with the motor on. It is a good deal if the dinghy can self-bail. If your's doesn't, make a waterproof cover for it to keep out the water. This is all doable.

Ann
__________________

__________________
Ann, with Jim, aboard US s/v Insatiable II, in Oz, very long term cruisers
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 16:48   #17
Coastal Cruiser.
 
uncle stinkybob's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: P.N.W.
Boat: Lancer 30-5
Posts: 632
Re: Dingy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Unclestinkybob,

It can be done. Carefully fender it, especially the sharp bits. Make up a small drogue for it, like a series drogue, using cones sewn up from pvc cloth, like herculon. For ours, we made a bridle for the stern out of old line, and used an old nylon 3-strand ex-dock line to attach the cones. The weight is a length of old chain. Lasts forever, and it can't then surf up and strike your stern.

We tow our 11 foot inflatable, with the drogue set up for quick release when it gets obstreperous down wind. We lose a knot from it. But don't tow it with the motor on. It is a good deal if the dinghy can self-bail. If your's doesn't, make a waterproof cover for it to keep out the water. This is all doable.

Ann
Thank you Ann. I had though of a good stiff cover with a couple of fiber glass bows, kept low to gunnels, keep windage down.
I know I would really get a lot of use out of this 12' tinny and a little 5hp, more than the inflatable. I fish a lot, spiny fish mostly, rockfish, yellow eye, my favorite is ling cod. Not so good in a balloon boat so it limit's my fishing, thus my eating of my favorite food. also pulling crab pot's, shrimp pot's, much better in a hard dink. Thanks for your words of wisdom and encouragement.
__________________

__________________
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 02:07   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Boat: Island Packet 40
Posts: 1,373
Images: 7
Re: Dingy?

I have towed that sized dingy in open water but I fitted it with an all over cover to keep it from filling with water and they will definitely surf and try to climb into the cockpit with you.


I now have an 8' alloy dingy and never tow it in open water where any sort of sea might eventuate, learnt that one from bitter experience.


The paint eating habits of hard dinghies can be tamed by blind riveting 2" black poly pipe around the chines. I drill 1" holes through one side so that the rivet puller can reach into the inside to pull the 1/4" closed rivets I use. I used to use SS washers under the rivet heads but, they corrode out the rivets so now cut square washers from thin walled alloy pipe by splitting it then sawing off about 1" long sections from the splits and drilling a hole in the middle of them.
__________________
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 08:09   #19
Coastal Cruiser.
 
uncle stinkybob's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: P.N.W.
Boat: Lancer 30-5
Posts: 632
Re: Dingy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I have towed that sized dingy in open water but I fitted it with an all over cover to keep it from filling with water and they will definitely surf and try to climb into the cockpit with you.


I now have an 8' alloy dingy and never tow it in open water where any sort of sea might eventuate, learnt that one from bitter experience.


The paint eating habits of hard dinghies can be tamed by blind riveting 2" black poly pipe around the chines. I drill 1" holes through one side so that the rivet puller can reach into the inside to pull the 1/4" closed rivets I use. I used to use SS washers under the rivet heads but, they corrode out the rivets so now cut square washers from thin walled alloy pipe by splitting it then sawing off about 1" long sections from the splits and drilling a hole in the middle of them.
Excellent idea! I'm going to figure it out, such as you did. I think it can be done, and I know I would enjoy the added benefits of a 12' boat to fish and crab from. I'm a gunkholing kind of guy, I like to be off the hook early and drop hook early afternoon and if the days nasty, just sit on the hook and read a good book. Retirement has me living a sedate life, and I'm liking it. Thanks for sharing your methods for adapting the dink to your needs.
__________________
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 08:43   #20
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: Dingy?

Here is my solution to the dinghy problem. I've had deflatables, hard dinks and now the porta-bote. It lives on Kayak racks outside the rails. Got tired of obstructed views forward.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mexico trip 02-16 014.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	121239   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mexico trip 02-16 015.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	121240  

__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 08:59   #21
Coastal Cruiser.
 
uncle stinkybob's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: P.N.W.
Boat: Lancer 30-5
Posts: 632
Re: Dingy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Here is my solution to the dinghy problem. I've had deflatables, hard dinks and now the porta-bote. It lives on Kayak racks outside the rails. Got tired of obstructed views forward.
That is really a nice set up. How much do those porta-boats weight? Are they stable boats? How do you think pulling a crab pot would be? Your setup solves every issue if the dink is stable. Sorry for all the questions, you guys know so much and I have so much to learn. Thanks again!
__________________
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 09:04   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,770
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Dingy?

towing in puget sound should be ok. pacific ocean towing means someone else gets a free dink. make sure if going into pacific you place on deck.
there are always swells in pacific and the folks i knew who towed found nothing back there..... soooooo..........
dinghy--i use walker bay 10, stowed on my deck under my mainboom. i used to use walker bay 8 on my bow. the 10 i snot as tender a tender as is the 8 ft hard dink.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 09:22   #23
Coastal Cruiser.
 
uncle stinkybob's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: P.N.W.
Boat: Lancer 30-5
Posts: 632
Re: Dingy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
towing in puget sound should be ok. pacific ocean towing means someone else gets a free dink. make sure if going into pacific you place on deck.
there are always swells in pacific and the folks i knew who towed found nothing back there..... soooooo..........
dinghy--i use walker bay 10, stowed on my deck under my mainboom. i used to use walker bay 8 on my bow. the 10 i snot as tender a tender as is the 8 ft hard dink.
I had thought of that actually, When I head down the coast I'd leave it behind, my daughter live's close to my marina so that works. I always liked the walker bay tender, just great classic lines.
Used around here in really good shape typically are selling for 500 or less. I don't think even a 10 would fit on deck, I'm sure an 8 would though. You can buy or make a sail kit for those also, right? That would be kinda fun to, turn the grandkids loose in it around the bays, they would love that. much to consider here. thank you Z!!
__________________
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 09:37   #24
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,359
Re: Dingy?

For local sailing it's not a big problem. You could get into trouble with it occasionally.... like if you get caught out in the Straight on a windy day. But a 12ft Valco is likely a $300 boat, so worst case scenario is you "cut 'er free"! That dingy will be nice if you do beaching and exploring in our rocky, barnacle infested beaches. The Power boaters tow them way back behind the boat... like 100 ft or more.
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 09:39   #25
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,359
Re: Dingy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
That is really a nice set up. How much do those porta-boats weight? Are they stable boats? How do you think pulling a crab pot would be? Your setup solves every issue if the dink is stable. Sorry for all the questions, you guys know so much and I have so much to learn. Thanks again!
Hey Bob, there was a 12 ft portabote on Craigs list last week up here.$450 http://skagit.craigslist.org/boa/5485935004.html
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 09:58   #26
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,045
Re: Dingy?

The 12' boat is free, hard to beat free.
__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 09:58   #27
Coastal Cruiser.
 
uncle stinkybob's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: P.N.W.
Boat: Lancer 30-5
Posts: 632
Re: Dingy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
For local sailing it's not a big problem. You could get into trouble with it occasionally.... like if you get caught out in the Straight on a windy day. But a 12ft Valco is likely a $300 boat, so worst case scenario is you "cut 'er free"! That dingy will be nice if you do beaching and exploring in our rocky, barnacle infested beaches. The Power boaters tow them way back behind the boat... like 100 ft or more.
Thanks Cheechako! thats a great deal on a porta-boat, I'm going to be up that way in a few weeks, might have to take a look.
I grew up on the Oly Pen, sitting down on a beach for lunch with nothing but a pocket knife is one of my favorite things to do. it's amazing how many of those little critter's on rocks and in tide pools taste so good, most taste the best raw. That reminds me of the first raw oyster I ate. My cousin owned a beach front house on Right Smart Cove, Hoods Canal, nice oyster beds. My uncle Jack was sitting on a rock eating raw oysters, when I walk by he offered me one, nope nasty says I, I was 7. He grabs me up and shoves a raw oyster in my mouth! I almost puked, LOL, a few minutes later he was trying to shoe me away....he couldn't open them fast enough for the both of us. ha ha ha, good memories!!!
__________________
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 10:08   #28
Coastal Cruiser.
 
uncle stinkybob's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: P.N.W.
Boat: Lancer 30-5
Posts: 632
Re: Dingy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The 12' boat is free, hard to beat free.
Right? I keep looking but just can't find a better price,, oh He's going to deliver it to. loaded up with two crab pots, anchor&lines, half the boat is full of gear. I'm going to take the deal, even if I don't end up using as my tender, it would get a lot of use.
__________________
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 10:19   #29
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,770
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Dingy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
Right? I keep looking but just can't find a better price,, oh He's going to deliver it to. loaded up with two crab pots, anchor&lines, half the boat is full of gear. I'm going to take the deal, even if I don't end up using as my tender, it would get a lot of use.
SCORE!!!!!

and ye do not have to name it EXPEND-ABLE!!!!!!
expAndable is more appropriate, whoooot.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 10:39   #30
Coastal Cruiser.
 
uncle stinkybob's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: P.N.W.
Boat: Lancer 30-5
Posts: 632
Re: Dingy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
SCORE!!!!!

and ye do not have to name it EXPEND-ABLE!!!!!!
expAndable is more appropriate, whoooot.
HA HA HA, most appropriate!!!!
So I think it's going to be a two dink thing, the tinny for the Sound and a smaller dink for the deck when I go outside. Can a guy have to many boats? LOL
__________________

__________________
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wind Vane and Dingy Davits Bill Balme Seamanship & Boat Handling 24 21-09-2017 09:18
Numbers on my new dingy LazyGuy Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy 8 13-05-2007 07:32
Dingy Prop Size Jon D Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy 12 17-07-2006 10:20
Dingy Anchor rsn48 General Sailing Forum 4 16-07-2006 18:35
Need to clean your dingy? Jentine Construction, Maintenance & Refit 1 08-11-2005 04:03



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:58.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.