Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2018, 11:09   #46

Re: Dinghy Dock Rules? (Or Wild West?)

Some good advice here. I think the best is to use stout chain to lock everything, whether at the dock, or at anchor. I was anchored in a fine little bay of a small uninhabited island near Bellingham WA and had the inflatable dinghy with outboard tethered astern..by rope. Only one other yacht in the anchorage, a very nice sloop. In the morning both the other sloop and the dinghy were gone! Reported it to the local police, but.... A good idea is to have a couple of good printed pics of your dinghy (with number) and the outboard...especially if painted (a great idea). You can then possibly post on a marina bulletin board, and also give to the police if the bad people take a shine to your dinghy or engine.
dcapn88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 12:55   #47

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The active captain thing is in flux, it used to be widely available on different nav programs, not so much now.
If you read around a bit, this is an unfortunate side affect of the new EU privacy rules. Same reason you have suddenly got a lot of new privacy statements from your favorite web sites, and unrelenting pop-ups on cookies.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 08:06   #48

Boat: Beneteau 423, 43’

"Long painter" not yet defined. I suggest you have the ability to leave 12' of painter. However, doing so you may find that you left your dinghy at the dock, only to find it three rows back when you return - resulting in climbing through and over others to get to yours.

When someone leaves their motor up, I lower it. When someone intentionally leaves their long painter tied too short, I redo it to the proper length.

Finally, some dinghy docks limit the size of the tender allowed. This is routinely ignored much to the consternation of many. Recently, dinghys have gone from small inflatables and become larger and more elaborate yacht like boats. Pulling up to a dinghy dock in a 16' tender with console steering and 150hp outboard with full lights and stereo system is bad form and poor "dinghy dock" etiquette.
Fbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 09:04   #49

In South Florida, is it allowed to just land your dinghy onto the beach?
Old 19-02-2020, 09:10   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatingnewbie View Post
As a new boater, what are the general 'rules' about tying up your dinghy?

i.e. If you anchor somewhere and then take your dinghy 'into town' or a marina, etc. are there some basic rules as to WHERE you can tie it up?

And is it almost always FREE to tie up a dinghy somewhere?

I have seen some areas in South Florida where they charge you to tie up a dinghy on their dock (a restaurant/bar that owns the property will charge like $10 but give you food/drink credit for it.)

Do most marinas have a designated 'Dinghy Area' where anyone can tie up their dinghy and leave it there? Or are other areas 'marked' in some way where you CAN or CAN'T put your dinghy?

Thanks for any insights!

When you locate an appropriate dingy dock, do not move my dingy so that you can tie yours up

When you tie up your dingy use a long bowline that allows the dingy to float free an give other folks access to the dock
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 09:59   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by David2.0 View Post
In South Florida, is it allowed to just land your dinghy onto the beach?
http://https://www.flseagrant.org/wateraccess/beaches/

In Florida, growing public controversy has arisen pertaining to ongoing loss of beaches and public access to the coast. The controversy revolves around two competing values: the entrenched principal that private property may be held to the exclusion of others, and the long-standing tradition of allowing the nation’s coastlines to be free for public use. This tension between public use and private right, though prevalent in many coastal regions of the country, is particularly intense in Florida due to the low elevation and hundreds of miles of sandy coastline that draws millions of tourists to the state every year.

One of the leading concerns is decreasing lateral access, or public access along the shoreline. Lateral shoreline access has been reduced by beach loss, which has been exacerbated by stronger storms, as well as human solutions, such as shoreline armoring. Another common problem is a lack of clear information on public access and enforcement responsibilities across the state, which has led to confusion and conflict in some communities over maintaining public access to and along the shoreline.

Another major concern involves perpendicular access, or public access routes to the shoreline. Florida technically has thousands of designated public beach access points. However, many of these corridors have been compromised by development and adjacent land owners; encroaching vegetation; “hidden, missing, or inaccurate signage; dune walkover access ways closed due to damage or erosion; inadequate or nonexistent parking at public access points; and inadequate or nonexistent beach facilities such as restrooms, lifeguards, sidewalks, or showers.” (Holland, Public Access to the Florida Coast: 1995 Issues at 20–22, Fla. Dep’t of Comm. Affairs 1995).

Beach Users

The public has a right of access along the beaches and shorelines of Florida situated below the “mean high tide line” (see diagram below). Article X, Section 11 of the Florida Constitution clarifies that the state holds the land seaward of the mean high-tide line (MHTL) in trust for the public. That is the strip of "wet beach". This is commonly known as the “Public Trust Doctrine.” Traditionally, the public trust doctrine contemplated fishing, commerce, and navigation as a basis for public access, but more recently has been expanded to embrace recreational uses such as bathing and swimming.

As part of the public trust doctrine, beaches are essential public coastal recreational resources. Providing coastal recreational opportunities accessible to the public is a fundamental objective set forth in the State’s Comprehensive Plan. Specifically, Section 187.201(8)(b)(2) of the Florida Statutes seeks to “Ensure the public’s right to reasonable access to beaches.

In Florida, unless the dry sand is already owned for public use (such as in local, state, or federal parks), private beachfront property extends to the MHTL. Although property below the MHTL belongs to the state, private property owners may have the ability to exclude public access to or through their property.

As a beachfront landowner, what are my legal rights and responsibilities to control public use of my property? What is the scope of my ownership, and what are its limitations?

You have the right to determine who can access your waterfront land:
Invitees
Licensees
Trespassers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mean-water-line.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	209080   Click image for larger version

Name:	who-owns-the-beach.gif
Views:	125
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	209081  

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 10:08   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
When you locate an appropriate dingy dock, do not move my dingy so that you can tie yours up

When you tie up your dingy use a long bowline that allows the dingy to float free an give other folks access to the dock
How to properly share a cleat with two docking lines.

A.k.a. Don't Bogart the cleat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

So simple, yet many, if not most boaters do not do this.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 10:29   #53

And tender size

Tenders are about 3 meters long and are powered small perhaps 5 hp engines

Tenders with .25 ...50 hp engines don’t belong on dingy docks .., take them to the marina and rent a berth
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 10:46   #54

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Dinghy dock etiquette, do not tilt your motor up
Depends on where you are. I frequent a couple of places where the tides leave very little water at low tide and all it takes is one dingy with motor down to immobilize and trap all the other on their long painters at low tide. Best to comply with local practice.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 10:59   #55

This is precisely why I have a seven and a half foot rigid fiberglass skiff (no one calls them "dingys" here) that weighs 40 pounds. I can actually carry it, it takes abuse (and shows it) easy to beach, fits on the deck of my boat and looks so bad no one will steal it. It's a war out there and it pays to be prepared.
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, dock, rule