Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2019, 10:12   #1

Boat: Morgan 34 CB,
Question diesen engine kill switch

I am planning some solo sailing trips and want a method to shut off my diesel engine if I fell overbroad. Yes I will be harnessed in but want a way to have an emergence fuel shut off or engine kill switch as a backup. I have 28hp Beta diesel engine in my 34 ‘sailboat. I am looking for a device that will trigger [kill switch] the fuel shut off solenoid on the engine. It would need to work with the existing momentarily push button fuel shut off solenoid. Fell Marine has a [ MOB+] water activated engine kill switch that works with gas engines but will not work with diesel engine because it could destroy the fuel shut off solenoid because of possible prolonged activation. Is there a system out there that I can purchase or make that will work in conjunction with the existing momentarily push button fuel shut off solenoid?
Denny Vitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 10:36   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
diesen engine kill switch

Use that system you found, with a timer solenoid so that it only activates for a set time, or just accept that if it’s triggered it may over time overheat the solenoid, or replace the solenoid with a continuous duty one
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 11:20   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: diesen engine kill switch

Did this on a 200hp marinised Ford engine. The solenoid replaced the pull stop cable and the wiring used a Mercury (Quicksilver) kill switch type that fitted into a dashboard. I wired in a second normal press switch so you didn't have to pull the lanyard to stop the engine.

https://www.cpperformance.com/p-1319...op-switch.aspx

However, you won't be able to wander around the boat without unhooking yourself. What do Beta say about the fell wireless model? is it really a problem?

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stop Solenoid.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	193947  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 11:25   #4

Boat: Morgan 34 CB,

What was the company that Had the timer and was there any problem with the Mob+ by use the limit switch
Denny Vitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 11:34   #5

You're worried about possibly destroying a solenoid if you are in the water being left alone at sea?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 12:12   #6

Boat: Outremer 50S

If you are really concerned about the solenoid in this scenario then you can interpose a timing relay between your MOB device and your existing solenoid. A "single shot" or an "interval" timing relay would accomplish your objectives, taking a signal that is continually on and turning it into a signal that is on for a fixed time (10 seconds? 30 seconds?). I'd use a single shot myself as it will ignore multiple pulses from your MOB device should it deactivate and then reactivate, but either would work.

There are tons of options for 12V timing relays, eBay and Amazon have lots. McMaster-Carr has lots of options like this one. They won't be the cheapest, but may be the easiest. They (and others) also sell surface mount solid state models that may be better in marine environment. Personally I'd dig around a bit more and find a "hermetically sealed" version as that helps eliminate corrosion risks.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine