Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2018, 09:34   #1

Boat: Warrior 40
Diesel Bug Problem

I have a 200 litre diesel tank with a midsection baffle plate. This allows only access to half the tank through the inspecton hatch. I have a problem with sheets of diesel bug blocking the fuel pick up pipe inside the tank despite treating a few times with Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment. I am in Martiinique and cannot find anyone who can polish the existing half tank of diesel.
Any suggestion to solve or improve this situation would be gratefully received.

tomkat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 09:49   #2

Boat: Boatless
Re: Diesel Bug Problem

I built a fuel polishing system using a Home Depot water filter (20 micron filter) and a cheap auto fuel pump. It took all day to filter a 150 litre tank.

It helps to pump the fuel into a 50 gallon tank so that you can clean out your boat tank as well as possible but the baffle is a problem.

Absent a seperate tank just filter the fuel for a day with the return to the fuel tank while agitating the dirt in the bottom of the tank.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 09:54   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It seems to me diesel treatment kills the bugs, but leaves the debris. At least that 's what my experience has been. So treating diesel is not an answer for muck in the tank. But will retard further growth.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 10:02   #4

Do you know of anything that can reduce or break up the debris to allow the primary filter to do its job?
Old 22-02-2018, 10:08   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Only thing I know is Moondancer's suggestion. Get an electric fuel pump from auto parts and connect it to a filter. Polish the fuel yourself. The cheap pumps will buzz and drive you crazy though. A Walbro etc would be better. Or an impeller pump with Nitrile impeller might work? But you'll have to change filters often! You really need a pump with some pressure to force the fuel thru the filter as they will start to clog up fast.
I had a boat with very old fuel once. I pumped it into a 55 gallon drum and gave it away to a diesel truck owner, warning him it was old.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 10:21   #6

I have used a fine fishing net to stir and remove what I could find in the section which is accessible. I do not mind ultimately losing the present fuel, however my concern is the other side of the baffle and what potentially lies there before I refuel. If I could rig up a small camera with a light to inspect once the tank was empty that would at least clarify if I had an issue.
Old 23-02-2018, 00:05   #7

Boat: Island Packet 40

As strange as it may sound, I cleaned the dead bug out of my keel fuel tank using water and a Finsbury manual pump.

I removed the stand pipe from the tank and used a piece of 1/2" copper water pipe and a nut and ferule to make an extension which screwed onto the bottom of the Finsbury engine oil removal pump.

I then poured fresh water into the tank and pumped it out into a clear container. The bug debris ended up in the water and I was able to syphon any fuel out of the container using small, clear plastic hose and return it to the fuel tank.

My keel tank was in three baffled compartments so I had to drill a hole into the top of the rear two compartments for access to them and after flushing them out tapped a thread and installed brass plugs.

I later installed an electric gear pump with a home made filter fashioned from a spaghetti storage jar with a denim bag filter inside it to do the same job.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 00:44   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

When I took the top of the tank it looked like this. I actually needed a wall paper scraper to remove the slime from the sides of the tank.

I think you should consider cutting a new hole in the top of the other side of the tank which will then give you better access. I have done it before with just drill bits and an angle grinder to tidy up the edges, then installed a Henderson Hatch for future use.

Oh this photo was taken after several seasons use of a home made fuel polishing system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_1918306_0_3516f806c09b3304d5fcaf6d90a06706.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	164658  
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 00:56   #9

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Why all these dodgy glass jar/water filter devices when 500fg knockoffs can be had for $50 or less?

https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/500FG30-50...8AAOSw3mpXNDtl

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Diesel Bug