Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2013, 06:23   #1

Departure advice uk west coast

We have a full almanac and small craft almanac for intended west UK trip April 2013.
However they differ with departure advice!
We would welcome any information on our best time to depart Falmouth UK bound West for Padstow UK based upon Dover tide. Our current interpretation of the difference in the almanacs are hours apart. We plan to use the safe 3nm off shore route around Lizard and Lands End. Our average speed 5kts any advice welcome
realwebbedfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 06:30   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Departure advice uk west coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by realwebbedfeet View Post
We have a full almanac and small craft almanac for intended west UK trip April 2013.
We would welcome any information on our best time to depart Falmouth UK bound West for Padstow UK based upon Dover tide. Our current interpretation of the difference in the almanacs are hours apart. We plan to use the safe 3nm off shore route around Lizard and Lands End. Our average speed 5kts any advice welcome
2hrs before HW Falmouth... tide tables on the net... or HM's office.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 07:47   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Departure advice uk west coast

Falmouth Tide Times | Tide Times

3-4 days either side of springs it is not that bad,though in stronger sw winds it can get quite lumpy
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 08:21   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Like Phil said, about 2 hrs before HW Falmouth, and you should be well past the Longships before the tide turns against you. The rates along the north coast are much less than those going around Land's End.
Could always pull into the anchorage at St Ives for a break.
BTW, what almanacs are you using which give the conflicting advice?
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 09:04   #5

Wow magnificent fast replys thank you all very much appreciated. Even a link to Falmouth tides :-) new to forum not sure if can mention almanacs name/brand?
realwebbedfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 09:29   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Wow magnificent fast replys thank you all very much appreciated. Even a link to Falmouth tides :-) new to forum not sure if can mention almanacs name/brand?

I'll see hello and welcome here.

I dont see any problem with mentioning names of publications, take a look at some of the anchor threads.
Old 19-03-2013, 09:42   #7
cruiser

Quote:
why you need almanc to tell you "best time" when to depart and arrive. calculate it for yourselves.

http://www.linz.govt.nz/sites/defaul...fth-of-hlw.pdf

http://www.sailtrain.co.uk/navigation/charts.htm

EasyTide - on-line tidal predictions from the UKHO (Easytide)

http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/EasyTide...electPort.aspx

you are "cruiser" aren't you...
transformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 09:56   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

leaving falmouth is fairly easy and getting round the corner is not too bad in calmish weather,but you do want to get you tides right going into padstow!

tide rushes out of there,so plan to arrive on a rising tide.

once off padstien call the harbour master think its ch72, pontoons just in side the enterance,i think the lock gates are open 2 hrs either side of hw,but check you almanack for current info
Old 19-03-2013, 10:21   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by transformer View Post
why you need almanc to tell you "best time" when to depart and arrive. calculate it for yourselves.

you are "cruiser" aren't you...

I find almanacs useful. What might look like a good time to leave Falmouth based on tide table only could put you in a real bind going around the Lizard and Land's End.
The OP asked the question as there was conflicting advise in two different publications, I would do the same, after all, its the purpose of the forum to exchange idea's and information.
Old 19-03-2013, 10:36   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

having fished off the lizard and around the scilly isles commercially,it is a streach of water not to be treated lightly,lots of inshore traffic,pots,strong currents and overfalls with a prevailing sw wind and rock bound coast,even big ships get into trouble,not that inferquently.
Old 19-03-2013, 10:48   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post

I find almanacs useful. What might look like a good time to leave Falmouth based on tide table only could put you in a real bind going around the Lizard and Land's End.
The OP asked the question as there was conflicting advise in two different publications, I would do the same, after all, its the purpose of the forum to exchange idea's and information.
how they use to "cruise" and navigate 30, 40, 50 years ago without forums. for me forum is to ask/ seek information about, let say paint. I never use particular paint and I would ask if any one used that paint beefore, or I would like to buy particular engine I would seek information if any one have that engine and how it is running, or seeking information about some far fetched port/marina I never been before is there water, petrol. but to go to any forum and ask information about tides in your own back yard and when to depart.....come on.

no offend, and maybe they will delete this post, but any way, if I had to come to any forum for "advice" when to depart or when to arrive I would sell my boat straightaway, never set my foot on the beach again let alone on the boat. I would take gardening or dog walking, or something.
transformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 10:54   #12
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by transformer View Post
how they use to "cruise" and navigate 30, 40, 50 years ago without forums. for me forum is to ask/ seek information about, let say paint. I never use particular paint and I would ask if any one used that paint beefore, or I would like to buy particular engine I would seek information if any one have that engine and how it is running, or seeking information about some far fetched port/marina I never been before is there water, petrol. but to go to any forum and ask information about tides in your own back yard and when to depart.....come on.

no offend, and maybe they will delete this post, but any way, if I had to come to any forum for "advice" when to depart or when to arrive I would sell my boat straightaway, never set my foot on the beach again let alone on the boat. I would take gardening or dog walking, or something.
But to be fair, no one gives a sh#t what you think a forum is for .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 10:57   #13

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

... but to go to any forum and ask information about tides in your own back yard and when to depart.....come on.

no offend, and maybe they will delete this post, but any way, if I had to come to any forum for "advice" when to depart or when to arrive I would sell my boat straightaway, never set my foot on the beach again let alone on the boat. I would take gardening or dog walking, or something.[/QUOTE]

Was this post really necessary? Our spirit should be one of sharing and caring about our fellow sailors. Asking for advice and tips as the OP has done is absolutely what this forum is about and quite frankly, the OP is already that much the wiser from some of the responses. If you have nothing positive to say, rather keep quiet.
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 11:32   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Departure advice uk west coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship2210 View Post
... but to go to any forum and ask information about tides in your own back yard and when to depart.....come on.

Was this post really necessary? Our spirit should be one of sharing and caring about our fellow sailors. Asking for advice and tips as the OP has done is absolutely what this forum is about and quite frankly, the OP is already that much the wiser from some of the responses. If you have nothing positive to say, rather keep quiet.[/QUOTE]

ROFLMTO..
Inevitable really... if you've read any previous posts...
and if anyone here seriously thinks this guy knows what he's talking about half the time..
He's spot on with the Forrest Gump claim..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 18:54   #15

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

ROFLMTO..
Inevitable really... if you've read any previous posts...
and if anyone here seriously thinks this guy knows what he's talking about half the time..
He's spot on with the Forrest Gump claim..[/QUOTE]

Fortunately I haven't read any of this %^$"*&!'s previous posts.

Haha, so true ... and of course morons probably won't understand the message in your last line (rofl). I think the saying goes ... "It takes all types, but some we can do without".
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote