Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2011, 06:12   #1

Delivery Company Needed

Hi guys,

Just joined the forum, still getting to grips with the digital age, but thought it about time!!

The main reason for me joining was to ask everyone's advice on yacht delivery companies. I need my Oyster 46 moving from Palma, Majorca to Tortula but can't sail it across myself due to business commitments.

I am just wondering if anyone has had a good experience with delivery companies and also what is the best way to find out who is best as all of them seem to have many testimonials on their site.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Tom
bartont88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 07:20   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Delivery Company Needed

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Tom.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 07:28   #3

Boat: private yacht always moving

There are many captains who will do this for you. Also i fort lauderdale florida there are many crew agencies with professional captain who do this for a living. Might want to check the crew forum on this site. CHECK REFERENCES, If I had the time I would love to do it but not able to at this point
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 07:53   #4

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I'm not sure that you are looking for a delivery company--all it takes is a delivery captain. There are good ones and bad ones, some associated with a company and some independent.

What you need to look for is experience in boats and passages similar to yours, and good references--you will need to talk to the owners of several boats which the captain has delivered. Formal training is not as important as sea time.

If you are a member of a yacht club, talk to other boat owners. There are a lot of captains out there, and if you put out a general call you will get overwhelmed with responses. Its best to meet the captain in person, which means that the ones in your area are best suited. You are looking for someone with his act together, which rules out the physically unfit and the rum-soaked.

You need to talk to them about their rates, which are typically based on days or miles plus expenses. Days are better, because miles tend to make them push the boat harder. Ask them about crew--less than 3 or more than 4 would be a red flag. Good passage crew are usually available for the cost of plane tickets. Avoid the cheaper quotes from inexperienced captains-they are looking for sea time at your expense and will cost more in the long run.

Ask them if they are experienced with the critical systems on your boat-- the specific autopilot, genset, watermaker, furling, refrigeration, navigation, communication, etc. Even with well maintained boats, I have spent more than half my time fixing things, and its better to know the systems before hand than try to read the manual underway.

You need to lay out your requirements--absolutely no drugs, no parties, no alcohol underway, they are to get off the boat within x days of arrival--there are plenty of horror stories. Set up a system/schedule for status emails and/or phone calls. Give them a rough schedule, but the choice of when to leave should be up to the captain.

Its all about trust.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 07:56   #5

Boat: Prout 2009 45' Sailing Catamaran

We used a company from England, called Reliance Yacht Management, (www.Reliance-Yachts.com) who has Captain's and crews around the World. They brought our Prout Catamaran from Ensenada, Mexico, on the Pacific side, around, through the Panama Canal, around the west coast of Cuba and into Ft Lauderdale, FL. The trip was to have been delivered in approximately 44 days, including stops. The trip started on July 22nd and the vessel did not arrive until October 9th in Ft Lauderdale. 80 days. They tried to bill us for the overage due to “weather”, but we ended up with a significantly negotiated discount. The bottom line: Would we use them again? If I couldn’t do the trip myself, I would entertain a quote from them, but watch the T&C’s and make sure they work for you. The cost, and comparisons with other delivery companies, and a thorough review of each proposed Captain’s sailing resume will be a critical factor in our decision. By the way, I joined the vessel along the trip for the Panama leg and up to Cancun, Mexico, for 30-days, and I personally witnessed many, many delivery Captain’s and crews enroute. If the owners could see what kind of crew they had onboard their significant investment (their boats) and the quantity of unprofessional jerks that are out there, they would be shocked. Reliance delivered a good quality crew, even if they were overly cautious on their sailing days with unexpected delays in resort towns, but at least their professionalism ended up being a key factor for us to at least consider them again in the future. I would trust them with the lives of my Kid’s if they were onboard, if that helps!
RobertR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:12   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Former owner of a 2001 34' Gemini 105MC Catamaran

My advice, make sure you check references and make sure they are part of a licensed business. Many captain's out there willing to do deliveries for outragiously low rates. Remember that you may get what you pay for. Also ask for copies of their license and confirm the license online with the USCG Merchant Mariner Verification Site.
SuenosAzules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:55   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

The delivery of my 44 ft catamaran from La Rochelle to Turkey was made by Reliance. I joined the delivery from Sicilly onwards and the captain was exceptional. Not only he was a very good sailor and seaman but he also cared the boat like it was his. He's not anymore with Reliance but still making deliveries. If you PM me , I can give his phone number. He's french and his english is not perfect but OK.

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 14:06   #8

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuenosAzules View Post
Also ask for copies of their license and confirm the license online with the USCG Merchant Mariner Verification Site.
From Majorca to BVI, why is a USCG license even relevant? Aside from the fact that a license isn't required of delivery skippers, if any license might be desired it would be an MCA Masters, not the USCG Masters.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 15:48   #9

The USCG (or other Flagstate license) will sure be relevant to the insurance company.
yachtcaptn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 16:12   #10

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcaptn View Post
The USCG (or other Flagstate license) will sure be relevant to the insurance company.
Maybe...even probably...but I have seen insurance policies that if you hire a licensed captain...they will write an endorsement that will cost more under the belief that a licensed captain may take more risks and if a captain is running the boat (even though it total bs in most cases)...there's the possibility of paying passengers...weird but true
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 05:32   #11
Marine Service Provider

As a licensed professional captain , I carry my own insurance policy. I have experienced the opposite of psneeld , in that I have found better premiums for having an MMD and ASA teaching certifications. While a license does not make you a better mariner , it is an industry standard for professional mariners and at least shows that it's holder takes his or her responsibilities seriously. Although a standard driver's license is all that is required to drive an R.V. , I would want a driver to possess a Commercial Driver's License [not to mention their own insurance] if I were to hire them to deliver my Winnebago.
xsboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 06:10   #12

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

xsboats... Good perspective.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 06:21   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboats View Post
As a licensed professional captain , I carry my own insurance policy. I have experienced the opposite of psneeld , in that I have found better premiums for having an MMD and ASA teaching certifications. While a license does not make you a better mariner , it is an industry standard for professional mariners and at least shows that it's holder takes his or her responsibilities seriously. Although a standard driver's license is all that is required to drive an R.V. , I would want a driver to possess a Commercial Driver's License [not to mention their own insurance] if I were to hire them to deliver my Winnebago.
Yes - My last delivery, the owner's insurance company required me as skipper to carry my own $5 million liability insurance - but still added an additional premium for the trip. I believe that the insurance companies are beginning to latch on to this little money-maker and willl require all delivery skippers to carry personal liability insurance. Apart from additional money for the insurance companies, it means that, in the event of an accident, they can delay payment whilst they dicker around between themselves as to which insurance company is going to pay what.....or is that too cynical? Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 06:41   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvimatelot View Post
Yes - My last delivery, the owner's insurance company required me as skipper to carry my own $5 million liability insurance - but still added an additional premium for the trip. I believe that the insurance companies are beginning to latch on to this little money-maker and willl require all delivery skippers to carry personal liability insurance. Apart from additional money for the insurance companies, it means that, in the event of an accident, they can delay payment whilst they dicker around between themselves as to which insurance company is going to pay what.....or is that too cynical? Tony
with your luck sounds like you needed it!!!!

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post785682
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 06:47   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Har, Har!! You're right though! And here I am, stuck in Annapolis waiting for another "dead" boat to be mended before I can get South to warmer climes.....oh well.....T
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delivery