Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2014, 06:17   #1

Boat: Camano Troll
Define "Cruiser"

Define "Cruiser". Not the boat, the person or people. What are the requirements to be known as a "cruiser"? Owning a cruising capable boat? Actually taking the boat out on cruises? Is there a certain minimum level of cruising experience required? A percentage of time spent on the boat? A certain distance from home (if one has a land based home)?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 29-12-2014, 06:27   #2
cruiser

Re: Define "Cruiser"

It means different things to different people. Kind of a state of mind. I think the most basic requirement should include the boat being operational and able to move about from one place to another or back to home, otherwise you'd be on a houseboat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	orinoco sunset.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	386.2 KB
ID:	94457  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 06:41   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Basically agree with Kenomac. Cruiser is different things to different people. Kind of like trying to define the term bluewater.

In the broadest, simplest terms a cruiser is someone that stays or sleeps on a boat for some number of days and leaves the dock or mooring to go somewhere.

Many would argue that the onboard time should be more than a weekend or even more than the annual two week summer vacation. I more or less agree with this.

Some also think it is only cruising if you make long passages to a destination or travel to a different country but I think any travel on a boat that involves leaving the immediate area of one's home port could be a cruise.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 06:49   #4

Boat: Lagoon 42

That's easy. Cruiser [kroo-zer], noun. A person who cruises via Carnival until the age of 25, Royal Caribbean until the age of 55, and Celebrity until death.
BlueBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 07:23   #5

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

I wrote an article about such a few years ago.. was about "The Field Of Dreams" of a boatyard where many boats were in some sort of dis-aray.
In part of the article, I pointed out the guy setting at the tiller, beer in hand and gazing off into the distance, While the boat is still upon the stands. He can smell the salt air from the nearby ocean, hear the waves on the rocks, and feel the wind on his face. and as he closes his eyes, he's seeing himself sailing the islands of the south pacific.. Yah, I think he's a cruiser................
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 07:25   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

About the best definition I know is:

"If you care about the Definition of a Cruiser...then you ain't one."
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 07:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
I wrote an article about such a few years ago.. was about "The Field Of Dreams" of a boatyard where many boats were in some sort of dis-aray.
In part of the article, I pointed out the guy setting at the tiller, beer in hand and gazing off into the distance, While the boat is still upon the stands. He can smell the salt air from the nearby ocean, hear the waves on the rocks, and feel the wind on his face. and as he closes his eyes, he's seeing himself sailing the islands of the south pacific.. Yah, I think he's a cruiser................
Mmmm an emotional sensitive guy who writes well, nice little story!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 07:35   #8
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Depends on context. For example, "I'm a cruiser, so changes to XYZ ISAF rule don't matter to me." The cruiser definition in that case includes most day sailors, but not racers that also cruise.

But I liked 3rd Day's answer.

Personally, any trip long enough that you forget what day it is qualifies. Sometimes I forget slower than others. Most effective when out of cell phone range.
Old 29-12-2014, 08:29   #9

In my book a cruiser is someone who 1) owns a boat, 2) lives on it 24/7, 3) does not have to go somewhere 9 to 5 to get an income. Everything else are just details.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 10:33   #10
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

I've been laboring under the impression that a cruiser is just someone who fixes a lot of different boat systems in unfamiliar and exotic places.
Old 29-12-2014, 10:52   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
In my book a cruiser is someone who 1) owns a boat, 2) lives on it 24/7, 3) does not have to go somewhere 9 to 5 to get an income. Everything else are just details.
I think your definition is a subset requiring an adjective, in this case 'fulltime'.

I think the definition is a bit similar to being an artist- if you are intentionally creating 'art', a representation of something through an artistic process you are one. As a cruiser, you intentionally set out on the waters to enjoy the experience of being self-contained on the water for more than a night, irrespective of destination or time frame. There are many subsets within.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 11:01   #12

Boat: Island Packet 40

A person who owns a boat and does not find any socks in the wash on wash day?
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 11:31   #13

Like landlubbers, a cruiser is someone who by way of having a floating condo is disparaged by sailors.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 12:26   #14

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Yes, but some "cruisers" drop out of the "normal" lifestyle for a few years, go cruising, then come back and reengage. (Maverick's reengaging sir)

Some of us that want to cruise also want to cycle (as in pedaling) 25 miles to 50 miles a few times per month, go to the gym, etc.

As for fixing systems, that comes naturally to some of us. The slower pace of cruising though is the hard part for some, but is very easy for others.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 12:55   #15

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

Cruiser: One who cruises.

I think how often one needs to cruise or how long it's been since someone last cruised to be considered a cruiser is very subjective.

In contrast, a day-sailor does not cruise and a live aboard may just live on their boat at the dock and never go cruising either.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser