Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2014, 20:19   #46
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: Define "Cruiser"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I've been laboring under the impression that a cruiser is just someone who fixes a lot of different boat systems in unfamiliar and exotic places.
Geeez!...I must be a cruiser for sure...I'm currently in Guaymas grinding bottom paint and doing "boat yoga" in the lazarettes, plumbing in my Frankenstien watermaker. But I am going to a pot luck tonight, so life is good!
__________________

__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 20:23   #47
Marine Service Provider
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: La Paz, Mexico
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,653
Re: Define "Cruiser"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
But I am going to a pot luck tonight, so life is good!
Potluck...that's it, you my friends are a Cruiser if you have walked up to a Potluck only to find Bowls of White Rice and Stale bags of 6 Month Old Locker Chips!
__________________

__________________
Rich Boren Goodbye Morro Bay...Hello La Paz, Mexico and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water
Technautic CoolBlue Refrigeration
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 21:55   #48
Registered User
 
DumnMad's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Nelson NZ; boat in Brisbane
Boat: 45ft Ketch
Posts: 1,248
Re: Define "Cruiser"

We've been livaboards for 3 years, crossed an ocean, but definitely don't consider myself a cruiser.
I've met a number who I know are real cruisers. They cruise oceans and drift from port to port as they please. They are never in a hurry and are always ready to talk boats.
I guess there are a lot of different grades of cruiser. Ocean cruisers, coastal crusers, occassional cruisers and wannabe cruisers.
__________________
DumnMad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 23:20   #49
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 10,719
Re: Define "Cruiser"

Well, guys, I don't fit the definition, doesn't wear a watch....WTF! I surely do, how else would I know the month and day? And those matter, unless you want to walk to the bakery on the wrong day, and get no croissants!

Or go to the bank. It's as important as knowing what the tide is, so you don't find your dinghy parked in slimy mud, and you can't move it for another 4 hrs. Time's important, just not THAT important.

Of course, home is where the boat is. Where else might it be? Oh, wealthier, okay, you have a pied a terre. But not all do.

To me, there are different styles of cruising. When Jim and I started, it was coastal cruising, weekends and vacations. Later, we crossed from San Francisco to HI and back. Then we got a bigger boat and went further afield.

I do think there are differences between full time and part time cruisers; the former have way more time to devote to thinking about what and how they're cruising. People with schedules have format that open ended cruisers have not.

Ann
__________________
Ann, with Jim, aboard US s/v Insatiable II, in Oz, very long term cruisers
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:00   #50
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 7,964
Re: Define "Cruiser"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
...
I do think there are differences between full time and part time cruisers; the former have way more time to devote to thinking about what and how they're cruising. People with schedules have format that open ended cruisers have not.

Ann
While it may be a challenge to define what a cruiser "is", I think it is easier to put them in categories such as:

Full Time

Part Time

Voyagers (Those who prefer mostly long term open ocean sailing. Likely the Pardeys, in fact IIRC they make this distinction too).

Fixin' To's (those who spend endless time at the docks preparing to go cruising...I know folks who've been in this mode for many years...over a decade in a few cases!)

I'm a Part Timer and personally prefer that mode. There is a lot to see and do ashore too, we like to spend part of the year traveling, and I need some time for brewing and other hobbies. Also by the end of our cruising season, Im ready for a boat-break...the usual cruising routine of sailing to remote places to work on the F'ing boat gets tiresome after a while and I like to park it and ignore it for a few months.
__________________
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:29   #51
Registered User
 
thomm225's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hampton Roads
Boat: 1974 Bristol 27
Posts: 3,479
Re: Define "Cruiser"

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I'm a Part Timer and personally prefer that mode. There is a lot to see and do ashore too, we like to spend part of the year traveling, and I need some time for brewing and other hobbies. Also by the end of our cruising season, Im ready for a boat-break...the usual cruising routine of sailing to remote places to work on the F'ing boat gets tiresome after a while and I like to park it and ignore it for a few months.
I think lots of us fit or will fit into this part time cruiser category. It's got to get old doing nothing but cruising and site seeing. Geez, you really limit yourself.

Ever want to hike the desert, see Lake Mead, or some of the other places in the book "into The Wild?"

There's just so much more to life.

Park it for a while and it will be that much more fun when you get the urge.
__________________
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:32   #52
Registered User
 
thomm225's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hampton Roads
Boat: 1974 Bristol 27
Posts: 3,479
Re: Define "Cruiser"

[QUOTE=belizesailor;1712405]
Fixin' To's (those who spend endless time at the docks preparing to go cruising...I know folks who've been in this mode for many years...over a decade in a few cases!)
QUOTE]

I've seen this guy too.

Years fixin' the boat. Then venturing across Pensacola Bay and back a couple time a year.

But if he enjoys it, what the hell. He's a cruiser, and they will call him Captain at West Marine!
__________________
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:48   #53
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 20,224
Images: 2
pirate Re: Define "Cruiser"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAZ View Post
Single hander ?


Martin
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:54   #54
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 20,224
Images: 2
pirate Re: Define "Cruiser"

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Jeeez Boaty you are starting on those pints early, LOL
Nope.. you'll know when I am..


Occasionally... I'm actually funny..
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 15:36   #55
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,471
Re: Define "Cruiser"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I think lots of us fit or will fit into this part time cruiser category. It's got to get old doing nothing but cruising and site seeing. Geez, you really limit yourself.

Ever want to hike the desert, see Lake Mead, or some of the other places in the book "into The Wild?"

There's just so much more to life.

Park it for a while and it will be that much more fun when you get the urge.
This wisdom comes from one who has never done the long term cruise that he finds so limiting. Go figger...

If I wanted advice about racing beach cats, I might well ask Thomm. If I wanted advice about long term cruising, I'd look elsewhere.

And Thomm, you might be surprised at the things long term cruisers do whilst involved in their lifestyles. Hike the desert? I seem to recall doing some of that in Baja. See Lake Mead? How about seeing Dove Lake in the crater of Cradle Mountain in Tasmania? I've not even heard about the book you quote, let alone read it, but somehow I've always found places to explore without an instruction book. How about standing with toes literally over the crater edge of the active volcano on Mt Yasur on the island of Tanna in Vanuatu... dunno if that is in your book, but it was an adrenaline rush for us.

I think that if you gave it a try instead of pontificating about it, you might find the long term cruising life pretty stimulating. Of course, you might not...

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 15:45   #56
RTB
Registered User
 
RTB's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Home port Kemah, TX Currently in Brunswick Georgia
Boat: Hunter 36
Posts: 1,509
Images: 2
Re: Define "Cruiser"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
This wisdom comes from one who has never done the long term cruise that he finds so limiting. Go figger...

If I wanted advice about racing beach cats, I might well ask Thomm. If I wanted advice about long term cruising, I'd look elsewhere.

And Thomm, you might be surprised at the things long term cruisers do whilst involved in their lifestyles. Hike the desert? I seem to recall doing some of that in Baja. See Lake Mead? How about seeing Dove Lake in the crater of Cradle Mountain in Tasmania? I've not even heard about the book you quote, let alone read it, but somehow I've always found places to explore without an instruction book. How about standing with toes literally over the crater edge of the active volcano on Mt Yasur on the island of Tanna in Vanuatu... dunno if that is in your book, but it was an adrenaline rush for us.

I think that if you gave it a try instead of pontificating about it, you might find the long term cruising life pretty stimulating. Of course, you might not...

Jim
+1

Happy New Year to you and Ann.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 15:52   #57
Registered User
 
thomm225's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hampton Roads
Boat: 1974 Bristol 27
Posts: 3,479
Re: Define "Cruiser"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
This wisdom comes from one who has never done the long term cruise that he finds so limiting. Go figger...

If I wanted advice about racing beach cats, I might well ask Thomm. If I wanted advice about long term cruising, I'd look elsewhere.

And Thomm, you might be surprised at the things long term cruisers do whilst involved in their lifestyles. Hike the desert? I seem to recall doing some of that in Baja. See Lake Mead? How about seeing Dove Lake in the crater of Cradle Mountain in Tasmania? I've not even heard about the book you quote, let alone read it, but somehow I've always found places to explore without an instruction book. How about standing with toes literally over the crater edge of the active volcano on Mt Yasur on the island of Tanna in Vanuatu... dunno if that is in your book, but it was an adrenaline rush for us.

I think that if you gave it a try instead of pontificating about it, you might find the long term cruising life pretty stimulating. Of course, you might not...

Jim
Jim,

I don't believe you have ever forgiven me for pointing out your lack of sailing ability way back when.

Yes, we are two different animals. My type sailing involves lots of sailing without rudders as in sailing away from the beach with the rudders up dodging little old ladies and children and holding the boat still on the starting line for minutes at a time without crossing on race starts. Then racing where an inch are so too much or too little sheeting could cost you the race.

Yours is totally different, and I'm trying to learn to slow down enough to become a cruising kinda guy.

Also, I try to caution folks from making the expensive boat purchase when it may not be right for them. So, I sometimes try to express somewhat of an opposing view point.

The book (Into the Wild) which you might actually like was written by Jon Krakauer. He also wrote a book about the tragedy on Mt Everest in the 90's called Into Thin Air, and his latest is about the NFL Football Player Pat Tillman getting caught up in the mess in Irag and Afghanistan and being killed by Friendly Forces.

Btw, Into The Wild isn't an instruction book. It's a book about a kid taking a break from main stream life. Hey, sorta like a Cruiser!

Tom

ps. I'd also one day like to hike to the bus one day. Maybe you can join me.

Into the Wild:

http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-...ccandless-died




https://www.google.com/search?q=chri...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ
__________________
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 21:44   #58
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,471
Re: Define "Cruiser"

Quote:
I don't believe you have ever forgiven me for pointing out your lack of sailing ability way back when.

Yes, we are two different animals. My type sailing involves lots of sailing without rudders as in sailing away from the beach with the rudders up dodging little old ladies and children and holding the boat still on the starting line for minutes at a time without crossing on race starts. Then racing where an inch are so too much or too little sheeting could cost you the race.

Yours is totally different, and I'm trying to learn to slow down enough to become a cruising kinda guy.
Thomm... forgive you? Afraid I don't remember the incident to which you refer, so I dunno if I forgave you or not.

And your stipulated set of sailing skills, which I don't doubt, doesn't much provide an experience base from which to criticize long term cruisers for their terribly limited lifestyle... that's the point I was addressing.

If it is what you want, then I hope that you can learn to slow down and enjoy cruising. Such things are possible... in a previous incarnation I was a professional drag racer. I learned to slow down enough to enjoy more than a decade of yacht racing, followed by slowing down enough to enjoy 28 years of cruising. I'm getting kinda old now, and anticipate slowing down even more. I hope that I can learn to enjoy that pace as well.

BTW, I don't understand your closing jibe about hiking to the bus some day. Was that supposed to be funny or mean or what?

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:33   #59
Registered User
 
thomm225's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hampton Roads
Boat: 1974 Bristol 27
Posts: 3,479
Re: Define "Cruiser"

Morning Jim,

I'm getting old too! When I said limited, I was maybe speaking to myself somewhat since I change my mind quite a bit. Others seem to know exactly what they want at all times. As you know, sometimes these forums help a person get his own thoughts together on things by writing it down etc.

I'd hate to be 500 miles offshore and want say take a bike ride.

Hiking to The Bus is another reference to the book Into the Wild. This kid had graduated from Emory University if I remember correctly and basically decided to just drop out of society for a while. He also donated about $25,000 to a charity to feed the starving. It was the last of his cash.

When he (Chris McCandless) finally got to Alaska, he hiked off the main road (maybe 25 miles) near Healy and found this old bus where he lived for a few months. Some of us have gotten into the book so much that we want to hike to the bus where the kid lived before they found his body.

A few other odd characters are discussed in the book including Krakauer himself. One guy tried to live as one would live 10,000 years ago. (his IQ was genius level) Another climbed Denali (Mt McKinley 20,322') alone, and another lived near Lake Mead in the desert and disappeared in the 30's.

see the bus:

https://www.google.com/search?q=into...hris+mccandles
__________________
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:41   #60
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 20,224
Images: 2
pirate Re: Define "Cruiser"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I'd hate to be 500 miles offshore and want say take a bike ride.
Easily solved.. bike frame rigged to a generator...
and if wandering off to visit an old wreck where a stupid city boy with unrealistic fantasies and zero life skills died.. and who's sorry tale has been romanticised by someone to make some bucks floats your boat...
Bully for you.. sticking to ones limits is good.
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cruise, cruiser

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Could Someone Define Fore-Reaching for Me ? unbusted67 Seamanship & Boat Handling 11 14-08-2015 21:21
How to define open ocean vs. coastal cruising? terminalcitygrl Monohull Sailboats 59 05-08-2012 08:40
Define a Circumnavigation bruce in oz Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans 21 18-01-2010 12:01
explain or define this for me please frans duplessis Other 3 24-03-2009 05:41
"recent price reduction""owner anxious""bring all offers" sailorboy1 Dollars & Cents 10 22-01-2009 12:25



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:47.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.