Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2019, 20:16   #1

Dating for cruising singles?

Im a 40 something male, fit, attractive and love the ocean, in it and on it.

Im a NZ and Aus resident and sale mostly NZ and the pacific Islands. (I love NZ summers but escape the winter and head north)

Am I destined to be single forever given my love for the ocean leaves me out of the social loop for meeting a beautiful mermaid to spend my life on the ocean with?

It really is a Niche market.

Has anybody been in this situation, male or female?
Old 07-01-2019, 20:48   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Dating for cruising singles?

Hi Luvsun and welcome to the forum,

You aren't the first to ask this question. Use the search function on the forum to look for "singles" and you will find a couple of very long discussions on the subject.

Bottom line, there's not many unattached women sailing. Yes there are some and you might get lucky but women are hugely outnumbered by the men. That being said, there's a lot of single women in the world and plenty that might want to sail. I've had friends that found partners that suited their very specific lifestyles going to online dating sites. These days there are dating sites for just about anything you can imagine; sites for young, old, straight, gay, Christian, atheist, other, vegetarians, carnivores, you name it. In your case I would pick a medium to large city to provide more options, go online and set up a profile. Bet you a Kiwi dollar you find some takers.
Old 07-01-2019, 20:55   #3

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

There are sailing dating sites...
Old 07-01-2019, 21:01   #4

You need to pull a La Vagabond. Invite local attractive and interesting women for a fun day sail and let them fall in love with the lifestyle. That’s what Riley did with Elayna.
Old 07-01-2019, 21:03   #5

Some good pointers, thanks guys. All those cruisers on youtube have blondes with hot bods in Bikinis, and Im sure part of that is to get more youtube vids. But I would like someone into getting fit and freediving with me. And have blue eyes and be Scandinavian and a nurse in case I get injured. Im not fussy ;-p lol
Old 07-01-2019, 21:05   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalas View Post
You need to pull a La Vagabond. Invite local attractive and interesting women for a fun day sail and let them fall in love with the lifestyle. That’s what Riley did with Elayna.

Shudder Riley is a South Australian, you can tell by that dodgey moustache. And I want someone more capable and independent in a lady, no disrespect meant, they are youngns.

Also Im too old for youtube haha. Although I find women in early 30s seem to not be repulsed by my age.
Old 07-01-2019, 21:30   #7

Boat: Vancouver 27

Loath to offer too much advise, but it seems like you've got a good attitude about it which means a lot. Something to be said about just living the life you want to live and following the path where it leads you. No idea what that means to you! Doing the dating site thing, moving to a large city, staying the course.. they're out there and it tends to be when you're not expecting it.
Old 07-01-2019, 21:36   #8

In NZ it’s easy, there’s only one site that matters for serious older people, and that’s FindSomeOne.

(Met wife on FSO in 2014, two kids now )
Old 07-01-2019, 21:48   #9

Ok so its it acceptable in ur Mid 40s to find a early 30s lady if you want to have a child? And are women repulsed by age gaps? I look 30s but age gaps the other way freak me out, being honest.

Honestly most of my girlfriends have been west european, I dont know why. Kiwi girls tend to be stand offish or window shoppers I find.
Old 07-01-2019, 22:04   #10

To be fair, most successes on fso for me have been poms (including the missus). Creepy limit is half your age plus 7. I was 47 when I was looking, met various ladies from 37-44 wanting kids. Wife was 38 when I met her. All that matters is to be open and honest on your profile.

I think you’ll find “early 30s” might be a bit of a gap, but late 30s isn’t.
Old 07-01-2019, 22:17   #11

35 would be good to go sailing with first, then have a child so the risks are lower for her and I and the child, then when a toddler take said toddler around the world on the cat. I gave up on monos, just got sick of life on the Lean. I know less racing oriented monos Lean less, but Cats definitely feel nice, like an apartment on water. lol

My dream girl was a Blonde blue eyed UK woman, I met one gorgeous one but she had kids and I didnt want the commitment then. Since then its been pretty air hostesses and models and just found they dont have the time for me or wanted babies. Its all a juggling act between attraction and what you want and what you can give to another person.
Old 07-01-2019, 23:59   #12

The more you look and act like "Captain Ron" the more likely you won't find a woman (at least not a long term relationship).

Nothing evil about it but most women see this type and want nothing to do with it. It makes for fun stories to talk about being a free spirit but they are the exception rather than the rule.

One problem is you are not stationary. Most women don't have the chance to get to really know you and get past you being a bit strange living on a boat before you move on.

Still not ideal but my advice:
- Keep yourself clean and well kept (shower & shave daily, keep up on the dental, clean clothes daily, conservative haircut).
- Keep your boat clean and well kept (inside and out, make sure any odors are eliminated, no mold allowed, comfortable places to relax, head should be clean and in working order, etc...).
- Might be worth spending 6-12 months in a location with just short jaunts before returning.
Old 08-01-2019, 00:55   #13

Boat: Volkscruiser

Valhalla 360 I wish some of my customers would follow that advice when I come to survey their boats......
I have heard that cry plenty of times about trying to find a mate but invariably after spending a few hours in their company (Male & Female) I start to realise why a lot of them are single.....
Cheers
Old 08-01-2019, 08:47   #14

Boat: Nautor Swan, Swan 47#54

Go on dating site okcupid and select sailing as hobby and you will find what you r looking for
Old 08-01-2019, 08:52   #15

Boat: Westerly Storm 33

Have you looked at Lovesail? www.Lovesail.com. It has a lot of members in America. Not sure what it's like for members in Oz. But it's worth a look, and it's comparatively cheap.

Closed Thread

Tags
cruising, single