Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-02-2016, 13:30   #31

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Cyclone Winston beached yacht

with the new photos it looks like the log rolling idea is out... so forgive my ignorance, never been there, but is that an estuary with a muddy bottom? I know folks have been saying sand/pebbles but the photos look like it MIGHT be mud.

1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 14:07   #32

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Wow sorry for any misunderstanding, I meant talk to the OP's LOCAL fire department about how they work not the Fiji fire service. In the post above I also say about being prepared to help so was assuming the OP would take lifting kit from home and be prepared to offer help to the locals as well. Don't know how bad things are but extra lift jack could certainly help with rescue efforts ashore and refloating local boats. Absolutely agree that initial efforts must target making people safe not property.

Old 22-02-2016, 15:47   #33

Lay the mast down and hire a large helicopter to lift it back to the water.Here in the usa you can hire a helicopter for $4000 and they have their own riggers for the job.
Old 22-02-2016, 16:07   #34

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker37 View Post
Lay the mast down and hire a large helicopter to lift it back to the water.Here in the usa you can hire a helicopter for $4000 and they have their own riggers for the job.
Neat idea but I would guess all the heavy lift helicopters are going to be involved in rescue work for a while, that is if they have any outside the military.
Old 22-02-2016, 16:31   #35

In the interest of floating ideas (no pun intended), a combination of air jacks/inner tubes for floatation and inducing heel to keep the draft shallow might be worth considering.

The following video shows a skipper using water bags to induce heel while underway: https://youtu.be/kiv0fxFcV3I

Depending on the local depth you may need even more heeling. But that coupled with additional floatation under the hull might work.
Old 22-02-2016, 17:02   #36

If I am lucky and keel is in order and no major holes could anybody tell me the best way to get her back in the water bearing in mind there will be no cranes at this stage

It is not the end of the world to drag the boat back in deep water. I once dragged a sailboat on the ice. It had been abandoned and had no mast. I had to make a big loop to wrap both end and drag it evenly on it's side to shore where it was picked up by a crane truck. We had to drag it 250 feet as the truck did not want to step on the ice. To my surprise this was done very easy. We cut the ice around and then by the dragging pressure the hull leaned over and then slid on the ice. We had put two 8" x 8" timber close to the center and tied them to prevent then from spreading apart. The timber slid very well.

In your case, do not tie to the cleats as you will rip them off. Big ropes, lines and big loops on both end and criss cross around the keel a few times towards the bottom and tow the vessel in that position. Water will be your lubricant and will help slide the vessel on it's side. For the ground composite, sand pebbles dirt or rocks, I would inspect the vessel before you move it and I would try and slide a tarp or rollers of some kind, tree trunks 6" or 8" under the boat where it meets the keel, to start the first few feet and evaluate the progress. The keel is 85 % of the weight if not more. I would empty anything you can from the inside. Make the hull as light as you can. The hull floated to where it is and the keel dragged and followed. Now do it in reverse. Tow the keel and the hull will follow. If the hull is resting in grass I would try and pull the mast head down to see how much pressure is on the hull and maybe use the mast to guide and move or direct the hull as it moves... I wish I was there to help. Good luck. Roger.
Old 22-02-2016, 17:22   #37

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

It would be nice to know how deep the water is next to the boat, it looks like it might be fairly deep, perhaps a dredged out channel? If so I could imagine pulling it over with a tug to fall on to its other side in the deeper water. I could imagine straps fixed with anchors out a ways going under and then up and around the rails bow and stern out to a source of pull, if there is room. It looks like the boat may just be at a high enough angle and with enough water next to it to do that, but still just a guess based on a few pictures. Sure wish you the best of luck and post shots of the solution you come up with! My guess is that as long as the shoreline there didn't have any pilings or trees or rocks, the hull is probably still in good shape on that side.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 17:37   #38

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
Neat idea but I would guess all the heavy lift helicopters are going to be involved in rescue work for a while, that is if they have any outside the military.
Even the heavy lift military copters only lift 20,000 lbs. max.. They would have no interest in someone's yacht. The commercial copters max out at about 6,000 lbs..
Old 22-02-2016, 17:50   #39

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

I think an Abrams tank weighs 60+ tons. Probably wouldn't be hard to find a pic of one under a heavy lifter.
Old 22-02-2016, 19:47   #40

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Not much equipment for this sort of thing in Savu Savu. Just becuase it's a developing nation doesn't mean you can start digging up the reef or beach without severely pissing the locals off.
We dragged a Moody 44 over 800 metres of shallows after Pam using a tug at anchor with a very long tow cable and winch. Laid the boat over on a hardwood frame with an airbag in the void between the keel root and the bilge. Strops around the hull & keel and a big heave to start her moving. We had previously patched up several holes in her and made a few scratches getting her off but no more than cosmetic.
BTW, if the owner of that 44 is reading this you still owe a lot of people in Port Vila money and thanks.

Positively, socially deviant.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 20:03   #41

It is a sick sight to see this boat laying on her side, no?
Old 22-02-2016, 20:22   #42

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Exit door,

Sorry if I offended by my suggestion of gifts. What I had in mind was this. While we were in Fiji, it was a time of change, but all the chiefs wanted to retain their power. They wanted cruisers to make sevusevu as a sign of respect. By the time we left a village, we were also exchanging gifts. The method was sort of like dark ages kings demanding some form of ransom for safe passage. In any event, ime, if you want the local chief to help you do anything at all, a ritual gift of a big bundle of yanggona is a good start. His traditional responsibilities include ritual gift giving at time of disasters, at funerals, births, etc. So, any items that he would like to be able to give make good gifts for him. Cooking oil, sugar, flour, bolts of cloth, duty-free cigarettes, items that have to come to Savusavu via coastal shipping, all that will be welcome. It is the chiefs who can help organize manpower for you, as well. Until they get on their feet, those gifts might be more precious than money. At any rate, that was what I had in mind, and I apologize if I offended.

fyi, spent three seasons in Fiji over the years, but not been back for quite a while, now.

Ann

on edit: for the members who have never been to Savusavu, the will be a grade school there, and if they're lucky, a high school now, where there didn't used to be. It is all subsistence economy, and organized along tribal lines, the men inherit the vegetable patches, the women marry into the men's villages. Clearly defined female and male roles... Sort of like reading articles in anthropology magazines. While there is awareness of outer culture, a lot of it clashes. Those people are in a time of rapid transition, as more *stuff* from outside comes in. The same is true of Vanuatu.
Old 22-02-2016, 20:30   #43

Boat: 1984 Cal 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
I think an Abrams tank weighs 60+ tons. Probably wouldn't be hard to find a pic of one under a heavy lifter.
Woo, did I miss the sarcasm font? That is a good one. You can carry one Abrams in a C-17. There isn't a helicopter in the world that can lift an Abrams. Heavy lift helicopters are not a dime a dozen, and there probably are not a whole bunch hanging around in Fiji, waiting for the OP to hire them (especially after a disaster like this...).

Mi-26 - can lift 44,000 pounds.
CH-53K - 35,000 pounds.
C-17 - 170,000 pounds.
M1A2 tank weighs 68 tons...

There are old CH-54 Tarhe helicopters and Mi-26s (amongst others) in civilian service. They ain't cheap to run (or hire) and there aren't a ton of them out there. They could lift the OP's boat, but let's be serious here.

Tankersteve
Old 22-02-2016, 20:56   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

that should pull back into the water fairly easily if you can find a tug big enough.
you need to be doing the pull on a spring tide which only happen every 2weeks,tides are getting smaller for the next ten days.

tie a bridal of ropes around the vessel and keel in preparation.

an air bag would be the way to go, under the chine/keel,failing that 44 gallon drums sunk then the water expelled by compressed air work well.

link to tides
Tide Times and Tide Chart for Nandi, Vanua Levu Island
Old 22-02-2016, 21:19   #45

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Tankersteve, sorry, I didnt realize the Abrams is considerably heavier, apparently, than the tanks that can be lifted by helicopters.

Don't know which tanks I've seen lifted near the flightline as I was busy working on the fixed wingers.

Tags
yacht

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: