Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 23:30   #31
Registered User
 
Butler's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Boat: Pearson 281
Posts: 678
Images: 18
Re: Cruising the Pacific

Top of the head, yeah, why not? Think of some places you might like to see and then check out the gory details (Cornell, pilot charts etc) for a reality check and the if, how and when. Sounds like an okay way to go about it.
__________________

__________________
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:41   #32
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,587
Images: 240
Re: Cruising the Pacific

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Rumdoodle11.
__________________

__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:54   #33
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,828
Images: 25
Re: Cruising the Pacific

Galapagos is one of those unmissable places in the world.

The scientists clearly knew something was wrong with one quick look at the animal, birds and marine life.
You can too. Everything is recognisable, but definitely weird.
__________________
Notes on a Circumnavigation.
OurLifeAtSea.com

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:20   #34
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto area when not cruising
Boat: Bristol 45.5
Posts: 668
Re: Cruising the Pacific

We enjoyed Pago Pago. It is a bit odd but interesting. The only problem is the anchorage. There is all sorts of debris on the bottom from a tsunami in 2009?. Hard not get hooked on a lawn chair, tarp, or refrigerator. Easter requires very good ground tackle ans some luck. Pitcairn requires lots of luck. We could not anchor because of significant swells from three directions. Had to lay off while crew went ashore by surf boat. Probably my wife's favorite spot on our trip.
__________________
Still looking for our next boat. Have decided we want to have something that will keep us happy for the next 10 years or so. By then I will be pushing 80 and if i am still sailing that will be a very good thing.
AiniA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:28   #35
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: Cruising the Pacific

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
We enjoyed Pago Pago. It is a bit odd but interesting. The only problem is the anchorage. There is all sorts of debris on the bottom from a tsunami in 2009?. Hard not get hooked on a lawn chair, tarp, or refrigerator. Easter requires very good ground tackle ans some luck. Pitcairn requires lots of luck. We could not anchor because of significant swells from three directions. Had to lay off while crew went ashore by surf boat. Probably my wife's favorite spot on our trip.
Another good reason to sail to micronesia,its relatively clean,they still have live corel reefs and there are few people..Most places in the South Pacific are run a muck with tourist and there waste..
__________________
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:56   #36
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,960
Re: Cruising the Pacific

It certainly is rolly in the Marquesas , very pretty but the anchorages are not that great. Use a stern anchor to help to point into the refracted swells, it helps. The Tuamotu Islands are very cool, especially for diving but the trades down there are not steady eddy like the northern ones so you swing 360 degrees very often and your chain can get wrapped on small coral bomby's. Smart to carry dive gear with you.
Consider going to the Marshall Islands instead of New Zealand for the Hurricane season. Really wonderful experience, great weather, super diving and very few cruisers outside of Majuro.
__________________
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:03   #37
Registered User
 
Wrong's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,702
Re: Cruising the Pacific

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
It certainly is rolly in the Marquesas , very pretty but the anchorages are not that great. Use a stern anchor to help to point into the refracted swells, it helps. The Tuamotu Islands are very cool, especially for diving but the trades down there are not steady eddy like the northern ones so you swing 360 degrees very often and your chain can get wrapped on small coral bomby's. Smart to carry dive gear with you.
Consider going to the Marshall Islands instead of New Zealand for the Hurricane season. Really wonderful experience, great weather, super diving and very few cruisers outside of Majuro.
With the exception of Grenada in the Caribbean, most anchorages I used in the South Pacific were not as rolly as those in the Caribbean. The fringing reefs very effectively damp the effect of swell in the anchorage. On the other hand, current in some anchorages - as noted other posts contributes to being wind rode. Bora Bora has a particularly deep anchorage.

Give me the South Pacific over the Caribbean any day.
__________________
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:11   #38
Moderator
 
Paul Elliott's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,884
Images: 4
Re: Cruising the Pacific

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
With the exception of Grenada in the Caribbean, most anchorages I used in the South Pacific were not as rolly as those in the Caribbean. The fringing reefs very effectively damp the effect of swell in the anchorage. On the other hand, current in some anchorages - as noted other posts contributes to being wind rode. Bora Bora has a particularly deep anchorage.

Give me the South Pacific over the Caribbean any day.
The Marquesas have no fringing reefs (much like Hawaii in that regard). There are a few bays and harbors with good protection from the swells, but the rest of them can be a bit lively. I saw a lot of bow-and-stern anchoring when I was there, but these bays were small and a little crowded. In the larger or more isolated bays we just bow-anchored.

As you head west to the Tuamotus and beyond you will see more fringing reefs.
__________________
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:13   #39
Registered User
 
Teknav's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas - USA
Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Posts: 1,838
Re: Cruising the Pacific

Hiya Wrong! The Caribbean is great for new sailors who would like to expand their horizon beyond local sailing; minor league sailing. The South Pacific is for advanced sailors who are more into adventure and into feasting their eyes with eternal beauty; major league sailing requiring deep pockets. Sail away!

Mauritz
Next Trip Planning - Indian Ocean
__________________
Retired - Don't Ask Me To Do A Damn Thing!
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:19   #40
Registered User
 
Wrong's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,702
Re: Cruising the Pacific

"As you head west to the Tuamotus and beyond you will see more fringing reefs."

Correct. Should have made clearer about which part of the South Pacific I was referring to.

Thanks for clarifying for me!
__________________
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:23   #41
Registered User
 
Wrong's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,702
Re: Cruising the Pacific

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hiya Wrong! The Caribbean is great for new sailors who would like to expand their horizon beyond local sailing; minor league sailing. The South Pacific is for advanced sailors who are more into adventure and into feasting their eyes with eternal beauty; major league sailing requiring deep pockets. Sail away!

Mauritz
Next Trip Planning - Indian Ocean
Maybe I am an exception. Definitely not deep pockets and I've done the South Pacific twice. Will probably go again between February and April, 2014.

My experience is where port fees are concerned deep pockets will fare better from Australia onward.
__________________
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:32   #42
Registered User
 
Wrong's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,702
Re: Cruising the Pacific

Regarding port fees. I should hedge a bit because fees in force on my first voyage, 2000-2005 were fairly reasonable and lots of places had none at all.

My second voyage found the once reasonable fees had gone through the roof and places without fees now had them.

What I'll encounter next time may convince me the South Pacific requires deep pockets.

Port fees are very fluid, never go down and seem to always be on the rise. My biggest beef.
__________________
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:59   #43
Registered User
 
impi's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: From Cape Town now New Caledonia
Boat: Lagoon 440
Posts: 952
Images: 8
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Re: Cruising the Pacific

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
This thread is great timing.

We're leaving Las Brisas tomorrow for a few days in Las Perlas, and then it's next stop Marquesas

Vic
Las Perlas ... terrific place but please take care if swimming. A yacht which was at Las Perlas same time as us just pulled up in Nuku Hiva minus his girlfriend. She dived overboard and was swept away by the currents. Her boyfriend could not get the dinghy down in time ...
__________________
In our own style and our own time ...
http://cat-impi.blogspot.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIy...Uhlfkd34f8FrEg
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:21   #44
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The Netherlands
Boat: Baltic 38DP
Posts: 333
Re: Cruising the Pacific

Sad story.


Onno
__________________
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:03   #45
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2013
Location: UK,Portugal
Boat: 78ft ex racing catamaran
Posts: 67
Re: Cruising the Pacific

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
We are currently in the Marquesas Islands of French Polynesia.
....
Do your research well ... we are coming across a number of sailors who are putting up boats for sale because they find the journey too tedious and can't face doing the distance ... well, thats my 'two cents ' opinion anyway.
How are they selling them - through a local broker ?

Will travel long distances for a real bargain!! (catamaran)
__________________

__________________
damianham is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cruising

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:49.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.