Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-12-2016, 16:04   #31

Boat: Yacht Charter Boats
Re: Cruising Jewish Sailors (Reform, Conservative, Orthodox)

My thought was more like storm jib, full reef, windvane, and pre-tie the series drogue to the stern for quick deployment. Of course, followed by a Friday night dinner.

Aside from big ocean crossings, I think the Caribbean is more than doable with all the complications considered, outside of the holidays.

Max
meg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 00:20   #32

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

To me, a shiksa, the deal is to respect all the beliefs we encounter as cruisers. Yes, that will put limitations on me, but that's okay. We're all out here, enjoying something quite special, more special, imo, in the farther away from population centers one gets.

Beyond the layers of religions represented among cruisers is their essential humanity, and that provides all of us with ways of coping with religious differences. IMHO

Ann

PS., Meg, you are equally welcome in this community, as our friends Josh, & Joyce, and so many others. As long as you don't do something terrible in the spring, you're okay! More than okay, welcome. We'll respect your limits, and expect a similar courtesy from you.

A.

"Today's misfortune is tomorrow's adventure."
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:55   #33

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
To me, a shiksa, the deal is to respect all the beliefs we encounter as cruisers. Yes, that will put limitations on me, but that's okay. We're all out here, enjoying something quite special, more special, imo, in the farther away from population centers one gets.

Beyond the layers of religions represented among cruisers is their essential humanity, and that provides all of us with ways of coping with religious differences. IMHO

Ann

PS., Meg, you are equally welcome in this community, as our friends Josh, & Joyce, and so many others. As long as you don't do something terrible in the spring, you're okay! More than okay, welcome. We'll respect your limits, and expect a similar courtesy from you.

A.
Nicely put. It's remarkable how trepidation & fears quickly evaporate as soon as you spend a little face-to-face time with someone of another faith, nationality, ethnicity, or even personality.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:10   #34

Boat: Lagoon 400 & Nacra 6.0 beach cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg23 View Post
I am a Jewish sailor and find myself often asking, are there are any other Jewish sailors out there serious about cruising? If so, any stories worth sharing like celebrating Chanukah in the South Pacific?

Secondly, even more specifically, are there any Orthodox cruisers out there?

My wife and I are Orthodox and we occasionally do yacht charters. We kasher the galley and spend shabbos tied up at marina. As far as I can tell, we are part of an extremely small group. Would love to meet someone who is Orthodox and has some cruising experience.
I am a secular, non-believing Jew and if I observe anything it will be as a tradition not as a religious imperative.
Being Othodox, you take upon yourself restrictions that at sea are somewhat more difficult to observe. This will be more and more difficult the further you are from home and familiar environment where the solutions are near and known.
It does not make it impossible, only difficult, and chartering is easier than cruising long term. Think about getting kosher food supplies on a remote Greek or Polynesian island. You can live on fruits and vegetables but meat will not be obtainable. Do you drink milk produced by a non-Jew?.
It is not impossible to live that way only difficult.
Many years ago I sent an employee of a company I was managing at the time to a remote African country to manage a long term project. The guy, who ate only kosher food, learned how to perform ritual slaughter and prepared his own meat/poultry while abroad.

Tags
cruising, sail

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: