Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2016, 09:55   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Cruising Jewish Sailors (Reform, Conservative, Orthodox)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg23 View Post
I am a Jewish sailor and find myself often asking, are there are any other Jewish sailors out there serious about cruising? If so, any stories worth sharing like celebrating Chanukah in the South Pacific?

Secondly, even more specifically, are there any Orthodox cruisers out there?

My wife and I are Orthodox and we occasionally do yacht charters. We kasher the galley and spend shabbos tied up at marina. As far as I can tell, we are part of an extremely small group. Would love to meet someone who is Orthodox and has some cruising experience.
I doubt in the sailing community anyone will care what your religion is. Now when invited to a pot luck dinner, down the dock, Kosher might be hard to find.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:54   #17

Judaism is a practical culture and religion - yes there are Orthodox Jews who literally keep shabbat in the dark and fridge/freezer off - but I know more who have an automatic timer and hire non-Jewish employees to keep business open.

Plenty of Jewish cruisers - but mostly ones who'll eat lobster.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:47   #18

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

I've worked in various Jewish communities over the years.
Knew a man who became an un-official Shabbos goy for his orthodox neighbors. I'm sure the OP knows what I am talking about. Not likely it would be workable on the high seas.

I wish you and your family the best.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:38   #19

Boat: Oyster Hp 49 Pilot House

The comparison sailing boat and car is not correct. If you do not use the motor (unless in emergency) and be propelled by the G.d created wind, no fire (explosion) is needed. If you put on your navigation equipment/radar/autopilot before the Shabbes begins, you observe the mitzvah. The rest is covered by Halacha. Conclusion enjoy the lifestyle and let others worry about being religiously correct.
Huskybeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 15:09   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskybeer View Post
The comparison sailing boat and car is not correct. If you do not use the motor (unless in emergency) and be propelled by the G.d created wind, no fire (explosion) is needed. If you put on your navigation equipment/radar/autopilot before the Shabbes begins, you observe the mitzvah. The rest is covered by Halacha. Conclusion enjoy the lifestyle and let others worry about being religiously correct.
Not true. The rule on starting a fire limite the use of electricity, but there's is also a rule limiting how far you travel to about half a mile. So the use of a conveyance wouldn't be a problem regardless of the means of propulsion.

There are other issues as well, like the prohibition on tying or untying a knot. Or because the effect of turning on a water faucet would be to engage the water pump you can't even access the fresh water tanks.

Frankly I don't think it is possible to live onboard a boat while remaining traditionally observant. But I looked and couldn't find any rebinical treatment of I think either.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 16:06   #21

The distans is covered by the laws of observance during travel. Opening a faucet and use the foot pump if you want to be strict? 0the rest covered by Halacha. Jews have always been practical in their cohabitation with their King and His religion, and we will always continue to do so for the progress of humans in life
Old 06-12-2016, 18:44   #22

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
In business I have had relations with very religious Jews and they cannot use or operate any machinery on their sabbath... can't press an elevator button for example... or drive in a car on sabbath. It would seem that sailing on sabbath would not be permitted. I can ask one of religious friends to ask their rabbi about this.

My sense is that sailors are pretty non religious except when facing their demise...
True, jewish law prohibits any kind of work on the sabath. That includes pushing buttons, cooking, driving a car, lighting a match, or even tearing toilet paper. Most jews I know (like me) have a more realistic approach. And we all tend to create our own set of rules that meet our needs. So sure, if you won't drive a car on shabbat, then you won't drive a boat either. However, if your autohelm is set, the wind blowing, and a pot of cholent on the back burner, you would be fine. Its all a matter of planning ahead.

My feeling is that religion should enhance your life, not limit it.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 20:54   #23

Boat: Manta, Mark IV, 42' - Hakuna Matata

How fun to find this thread just a few hours after we had our Mezzuzah hanging ceremony and a Rabbi blessing our boat. We have 3 kids aboard and cherish the chance to bake challah every Friday and share Shabbat, and other holidays and festivals, with the people we meet along the way.

Since we are just a few days from our first crossing in this boat (from Florida to the Bahamas) we have just spent the past week in search of Hanukkah decorations and gifts.

We lived aboard a different catamaran 5 years ago and learned quickly that we needed to bring any holiday-related items with us. We all have very fond memories of hosting a Hanukkah party in the Abacos with our kids teaching their new friends how to spin the dreidel, etc.

Thank you for starting this thread. It is nice to know there are others out there!
Hakuna Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 23:18   #24

The French have a solution for not tearing the toilet paper. Their "papier hygiénique" is folded. An idea? Proximity sensors avoid you to touch the button. A lot of technological progress can be used yo our advantage
Old 07-12-2016, 06:04   #25

Boat: Yacht Charter Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakuna Matata View Post
How fun to find this thread just a few hours after we had our Mezzuzah hanging ceremony and a Rabbi blessing our boat. We have 3 kids aboard and cherish the chance to bake challah every Friday and share Shabbat, and other holidays and festivals, with the people we meet along the way.

Since we are just a few days from our first crossing in this boat (from Florida to the Bahamas) we have just spent the past week in search of Hanukkah decorations and gifts.

We lived aboard a different catamaran 5 years ago and learned quickly that we needed to bring any holiday-related items with us. We all have very fond memories of hosting a Hanukkah party in the Abacos with our kids teaching their new friends how to spin the dreidel, etc.

Thank you for starting this thread. It is nice to know there are others out there!
Love this!
meg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:16   #26

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

RANT:
Why are you bringing religion into a sailing forum? Have you not been told "never discuss religion or politics if you want to remain friends?"

I do not claim to be religious, neither am I a non-believer. Being of the age I am, I do not accept change lightly in fact, some changes I will not accept at all ... such as female church ministers.

The current movement of feminism has pretty much been the cause of removing all men from the pulpit in my neck of the woods, replacing them with female ministers ... hence the reason I will no longer attend. My wife is a regular attendee. She is a strong participant in all church related activities, even to donating 10% of our gross annual income every year. So I guess you might say I still support the church even as a non- participant.

And what is the most common complaint I hear from the church minister in general? "There are not enough men in the congregation, how can we encourage them to join us?" Somehow, I just know she would not appreciate a response from me.

I myself simply will not accept women as religious preachers. I believe women were meant to be a partner to man, not the dominant one besides which, most wives have more than enough to say at home.

I say these things without fear of retribution from my wife, who has been my lifelong partner for more than 60 years. Even she says 'feminism' has done more harm than good to women, and a shrinking violet she is not.

As for religion, I've come to accept one does not need to attend a church every Sunday to be christian. I see the wonders of God each day in every thing I see about me, and I marvel at the beauty and splendor of it all.

As for sailing goes, I claim that to be my religion.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:36   #27

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
RANT:
Why are you bringing religion into a sailing forum? Have you not been told "never discuss religion or politics if you want to remain friends?"

I do not claim to be religious, neither am I a non-believer. Being of the age I am, I do not accept change lightly in fact, some changes I will not accept at all ... such as female church ministers.

The current movement of feminism has pretty much been the cause of removing all men from the pulpit in my neck of the woods, replacing them with female ministers ... hence the reason I will no longer attend. My wife is a regular attendee. She is a strong participant in all church related activities, even to donating 10% of our gross annual income every year. So I guess you might say I still support the church even as a non- participant.

And what is the most common complaint I hear from the church minister in general? "There are not enough men in the congregation, how can we encourage them to join us?" Somehow, I just know she would not appreciate a response from me.

I myself simply will not accept women as religious preachers. I believe women were meant to be a partner to man, not the dominant one besides which, most wives have more than enough to say at home.

I say these things without fear of retribution from my wife, who has been my lifelong partner for more than 60 years. Even she says 'feminism' has done more harm than good to women, and a shrinking violet she is not.

As for religion, I've come to accept one does not need to attend a church every Sunday to be christian. I see the wonders of God each day in every thing I see about me, and I marvel at the beauty and splendor of it all.

As for sailing goes, I claim that to be my religion.
Sorry, that is a bunch of crap. I think the OP asked a legit. question. How did women preaches enter it. Who is bringing religion into it?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 14:17   #28

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Sorry, that is a bunch of crap. I think the OP asked a legit. question. How did women preaches enter it. Who is bringing religion into it?
+1. OP asked a cruising related question and an interesting discussion ensued.

Take your rubbish elsewhere.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 14:29   #29

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post

RANT: Why are you bringing religion into a sailing forum? (...)
Excuse my editing, but you allowed yourself a very long rant.

Imho, OP's query was of a cruising life nature.

So, in my opinion, the thread is fine and the discussion informative and possibly of value to other members and visitors to the forum.

If we stop discussing cruising subjects that touch on religion, politics and sex then we will end up with a very boring forum that could be just as well substituted with a pile of Raymarine instruction manuals ;-)

BTW I enjoyed your post too. Over time threads tend to drift away from their original intent. Fact of forum life and nothing to be dissected or lamented. C'est la vie!

With all respect and warm greetings,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 14:43   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

As a non Jew but with a long association and a clinic in Jerusalem...

The perfect solution is to eat Cholent whilst in the middle of the ocean, reef everything and wake a day later...

Problem solved!

Yes, I dont really recommend this but Cholent will do it if anything can...
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, sail