Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2017, 20:34   #31

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)
Re: Crewing on deliveries, help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Sounds great! Comfy and tough gloves and a watch cap that doesn't itch!
Second that. Also the obvious: no cotton, and avoid leaks. Hat that will protect face & neck from sun (yes, sun) and fasten securely so when it blows off you do not lose it. Did I mention decent sun glasses with a retention string? You already know to persevere, listen, and smile. Enjoy even if it is difficult or grueling. Sometimes a small butt pad can help. Nose to the grindstone, shoulder to the wheel, and eye on the ball. Now try to sail in that position.
Old 22-03-2017, 21:21   #32

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Crewing on deliveries, help needed

Hope everything worked out for you, Kaz'
I ran a delivery business out of San Diego for several years and was fortunate enough to have experienced crew available for pretty much every delivery. Our territory ran from Alaska to Panama and points on the Mexican coast in between. Deliveries were a mix of pleasure craft from brokers who had sold them and needed to get them from A to B quickly and in one piece. Also had a couple of barge deliveries which were more long range and tedious passages.
On occasion, I would take a newbie, usually female, who was wanting some offshore experience and/or sea time. At first, I was a little leary to take a woman aboard with a good attitude but few skills because I always figured they were not built for the adverse conditions you find off shore and lacked the physical strength particularly if we were beating uphill and had to crank winches for a few hours. I would have my wife interview them which helped to sort out the love boat contenders from those who were serious about going to sea.
I was pleasantly surprised on more than one occasion when one of these young things would leap into a mechanical problem or engine room issue. They all asked good questions and did not mind getting dirty. Only once when I was off watch did I find any evidence of hanky panky with other crew members and a quick word to both solved that issue quietly.
Before selling the business about 12 years ago, I had developed a cadre of very competent crew, most of which were female, cleaner, tidier and more willing to do any job with out a word of complaint. The strength thing was never an issue. As one gal said, "if men had to go through the labor of delivering kids, they would realize how tough most women are." Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 05:44   #33

Boat: MacGregor 26S
Thumbs up Re: Crewing on deliveries, help needed

my 1st ~760NM offshore experience, Bermuda -Halifax on Volvo60 completed.
Top speed 24.7kn , still getting my land legs back.
it was a ride, story to tell..., will elaborate when I cut the grass, clean the house (my two teenage daughters resided here in my absence ) and attend to some urgent business matters.
kazo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, crewing