Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2018, 09:14   #1

crazy quote for a basic job

Hi all I’ve just boat a new to me 28ft sail boat I’m after installing a NASA Marine instruments , I got a quote to supply a NASA wind and depth sensor for approx €500 delivered from a local company , which I know I can find a little cheaper online but then on the same quote they offer to install at €40 per hour anticipating 15 hours work so €600

I was intending to instal myself but I did not anticipate spending 15 hours doing it, am I underestimating this job?
Cheftothesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 09:33   #2

Re: crazy quote for a basic job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheftothesea View Post
Hi all I’ve just boat a new to me 28ft sail boat I’m after installing a NASA Marine instruments , I got a quote to supply a NASA wind and depth sensor for approx €500 delivered from a local company , which I know I can find a little cheaper online but then on the same quote they offer to install at €40 per hour anticipating 15 hours work so €600

I was intending to instal myself but I did not anticipate spending 15 hours doing it, am I underestimating this job?
Are the instruments already installed and mounted?
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 09:40   #3

Hi, thanks for the reply.. the mast is up and the boat is in the water, basically it will be a new install the previous owner removed everything as he wanted to in his words “ sail oldschool”, so he removed and chucked out every-thing and has re glassed the holes.
Old 13-11-2018, 10:49   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

it's only a crazy quote if you aren't willing to pay it (to me it's crazy)
Old 13-11-2018, 11:54   #5

Your boat is a unknown to the installer, his price is based on his 'longest expected' time to do the install because of this.

Is it a set price, or is he actually charging by the hour? (if he does it in 10 hrs does he still charge for 15).

If he is charging by the hour, maybe you can get some of the prep work done before he gets there.
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 12:11   #6

Wow thank for all of the advice it is good to get reviews from Both sides of the fence

The price is quoted per hour based on estimated hours, my main concern now after your advice is as the boat is a few hours drive from me is the time it takes, I am the first to admit I have underestimated this task.

Now the quote doesn’t sound to crazy as the time spent travelling, fuel, time off work would certainly cost me the equivalent to do myself if not more.

Are there any questions I should ask prior to the job based on your guys previous experience

Cheers
Old 13-11-2018, 12:56   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If there is no through hull for the instruments boat will have to be hauled to install. That's a few hundred dollar charge. If there is no masthead wind indicater to act as a messenger for the new cable, stick may have to come down, a few more hundred $ added. If there is a messenger in the mast to run the wires, still a time eater going to the masthead to install the wind mast and pull the wires through. A job that will take two workers to get done which will increase the labor cost. Know in my most recent boat mast would have to come down as the wires from the mast are hidden behind the liner. Running the wires through the boat, drilling the pukas for the instrument heads, installing and hooking them up could take more than a few hours to do the job right. Can see how the time could get up to 15 hours. I wouldn't pay to have it done because I'm too cheap and hard headed so would do it myself or not add the instruments. The depth/knotmeter are pretty easy installs but the wind instrument will be the time eater.

FWIW have been sailing for 60 years without electronic wind indicater and haven't missed the input. Have always had a mast head Windex and tell tales on the shrouds for wind direction and Beaufort scale to estimate wind which have always worked. A knotmeter and depth sounder are must haves on the other hand.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 13:06   #8

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

It does sound a lot, but realistically that's two people for a day. Installing that from scratch would be a good result for a day, I'd say.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 13:15   #9

Would it be better if it read (€120/hr @ 5 hrs = €600)?
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 13:24   #10

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
It does sound a lot, but realistically that's two people for a day. Installing that from scratch would be a good result for a day, I'd say.
Exactly, and it could take a lot longer if one of the runs turns out to need dismantling half the boat to get done. How long does it take to run a new cable down a mast? Not that long when all goes well. Way too long when the messenger is jammed, halyards are twisted in the way, someone filled the base with foam, ....... Who knows?
I've done way too many jobs on my boat that I estimated as taking a day, ending up taking 4, and thinking how pissed I'd been if I'd paid someone for that long.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 14:39   #11

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

It always seems expensive when you're not the guy doing the work.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 11:36   #12

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheftothesea View Post

OK I have nasa instruments and they run on 183, one wind sensor at the top of mast one wired to instrument, one transducer , one hole one wire to instrument. On your size of boat I would think this not to be to hard, therefore in my opinion I would rather think this would be quite simple in my mind 15 hours to me seems a lot , if it is beyond your skills or fitness ask around the yard it is really quite simple to fit and there maybe a helpful cruiser around , good luck
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 12:00   #13

Boat: Catalina 30

How long has it been since you had the standing rigging replaced? "We", (the electrician), installed our wind indicator while the mast was down for standing rigging replacement.
iyamwhatiyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 13:01   #14

Boat: Nonsuch 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
OK I have nasa instruments and they run on 183, one wind sensor at the top of mast one wired to instrument, one transducer , one hole one wire to instrument. On your size of boat I would think this not to be to hard, therefore in my opinion I would rather think this would be quite simple in my mind 15 hours to me seems a lot , if it is beyond your skills or fitness ask around the yard it is really quite simple to fit and there maybe a helpful cruiser around , good luck
I so HATE being that helpful cruiser that can't say no! even if I know I'm being taken advantage of. I'm learning though Handy helpful cruisers (usually men who work(ed) with their hands, not earning millions) should stop working on rich peoples boats for nothing or nearly nothing. Says the handy cruiser
Standbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 13:11   #15

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standbly View Post
I so HATE being that helpful cruiser that can't say no! even if I know I'm being taken advantage of. I'm learning though Handy helpful cruisers (usually men who work(ed) with their hands, not earning millions) should stop working on rich peoples boats for nothing or nearly nothing. Says the handy cruiser
Ah what goes around comes around , you will be rewarded in the great ocean in the sky , any chance you could look at my boat
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote