Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2014, 18:31   #76

Boat: csy 37
Re: Cost of Cold Beer

carstenb, over here in the states we have all kinds of 'foreign' names for things that probably don't exist in the country they're named after. one popular breakfast biscuit is called 'thomas's english muffin', but i've been told that the english have no idea what they are.

to the credit of the danes however, 'danish' pastries are very popular here, have been for decades if not centuries, (my favorite is cheese filled) and everyone here thinks they originated in denmark. any truth to that?
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 23:49   #77

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
carstenb, over here in the states we have all kinds of 'foreign' names for things that probably don't exist in the country they're named after. one popular breakfast biscuit is called 'thomas's english muffin', but i've been told that the english have no idea what they are.

to the credit of the danes however, 'danish' pastries are very popular here, have been for decades if not centuries, (my favorite is cheese filled) and everyone here thinks they originated in denmark. any truth to that?
As I noted, in Denmark, these pastries are "weinerbroed" The direct translation of that is "Viennese Bread".

Self-explanatory?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:48   #78

Boat: Able 50

But that doesn't mean that they are not made in Denmark, because they are and in big numbers too. Who cares if they were invented by some guy from Vienna ?
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:19   #79

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
But that doesn't mean that they are not made in Denmark, because they are and in big numbers too. Who cares if they were invented by some guy from Vienna ?
The "Danish" made in the US bears little resemblance to the "weinerbroed" made here.

I believe the reason they are called "danish" in the US dates back to the immigration times (1800's and early 1900's) Danes immigrated and brought their foods with them. These proved popular, but no one could pronounce the Danish word, so they ended up just being called "danish".

This typical of most migrations. Americans visiting europe for the first time are generally appalled at the pizza they find, even in italy. Then even more appalled when they see europeans eating it with a knife and fork.

Course no one else in the world makes a hamburger as good as what you can get (some places) in the US

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:51   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
I have adequate stocks of cold beer, but am short of nubile young danish gals with long legs and short skirts.

I would happily swap half my stock of cold beer for a small selection of yours

I've got one of the latter onboard, but unfortunately, none of the former
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Beer, beer