Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2015, 11:42   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Cost For Cruising Permit

Sometimes an expensive permit is a better deal than free cruising elsewhere (sometimes NOT, sure). If there are things you really like there and if cruising is good, maybe think twice before sailing by.

Every time I look at Bahamas from the satellite, I get so tempted ;-)

And the pigs!

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 12:29   #17

Boat: Albin Vega 27' Gemini Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH260 View Post
The cost of the cruising permit can vary depending on where you clear. Some offices charge $150 for boats under 30', and $300 for a boat over 30'. Other offices charge $150 for boats under 35' and $300 over 35'.
The government has gone back and forth on the length of the boat. The office seem to do what they want.
Also they only deal in cash on the barrel.
We are a Canadian documented vessel, our official length is 34.5' and have paid $150 each time we cleared, usually get a 90 day visa, easily extended if need be. Always ask for your fishing license if you intend to do any.
I have talked to cruisers there that have had their boat in the Bahamas for 5 years on cruising permits.
Bob

Bob is spot on by my experiences!

I would only add... As they change fishing rules occasionally and with the cruiser/conch issues a couple years ago the best advice I received was from Bimini check in. "The rules on the back of the permit, sir." He clarified that as long as you ask the license is good as long as the permit is good. (there is a 90 day note on their site) Checking in a Bimini is simple.
Also make sure you renew the immigration before the expiration.

It is $500 to extend further than a year. US citizens can game this for cheaper.

Make sure any prescription meds are made out to you! A nice boat was impounded last time I was in Nassau (not mine).

Be polite and a good cruiser and all will be good.

Wes
Old 19-11-2015, 13:45   #18

Boat: Bristol 29

I was going to suggest maybe the OP should spend 1 minute looking up easily found information before posting, but really, this thread is so much more interesting than actually knowing the facts.
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 13:07   #19

Boat: Albin Vega 27' Gemini Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun and Moon View Post
I was going to suggest maybe the OP should spend 1 minute looking up easily found information before posting, but really, this thread is so much more interesting than actually knowing the facts.

Oh the "do your own damn search" bashing.

Because one minute will not give you the answer. Here are two links both from the Bahamas.

How much is entry for a 34 foot boat?
What is the departure tax on the 4th person?

http://www.bahamas.gov.bs

http://www.bahamas.com/boating-enter-exit

Also up for confusion are questions about Conch harvesting, length of stay, length of fishing permit, etc.

Official "facts" are not always reality in other countries. It is often better to ask other cruisers where and "what was reality the day you checked in". I believe the back of the cruising permit still says 6 conch. That is unless they have finally started printing new permits.

W
Old 21-11-2015, 13:17   #20
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

This place amazes me.
Old 21-11-2015, 13:39   #21

Boat: Allied Seawind 30

Last winter we entered at Cockburn, San Salvador. We paid $150 for our 30 footer. It was probably the most pleasant of formalities I ever went through anywhere. I used to lament the high cost of a cruising permit, until realizing the staggering number islands within the Bahamas group. Abacos to Mayaguana is like PR to Grenada in distance and Bahamas probably has quadruple the islands.

Brian
SV Dawn Treader
sailing dawn treader
DawnTreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 15:36   #22

"Official "facts" are not always reality in other countries. It is often better to ask other cruisers where and "what was reality the day you checked in". I believe the back of the cruising permit still says 6 conch. That is unless they have finally started printing new permits."

W[/QUOTE]

Cruisers clam to be knowledgeable but frequently have no clue what they are talking about.
Time and time again I have listened to posters on this forum say
" I have never had any issues not declaring my weapons into Mexico! I just check them in when I get there."
Or better yet
"I never check into the Bahamas, I leave from Florida and have never had a problem"

You have a lot of arm chair sailors here.

WHEN IT COMES TO GOVERNMENT REGULATIONS, that can cause a lot of trouble, send them to the government website!!!!
johnmcntsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 03:47   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcntsh View Post
... Time and time again I have listened to posters on this forum say
" I have never had any issues not declaring my weapons into Mexico! I just check them in when I get there."
Or better yet
"I never check into the Bahamas, I leave from Florida and have never had a problem" ...
I don't recall ever seeing those statements on CF. Could you cite them?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 04:28   #24

I can find this one because I commented on it.

[B]"Originally Posted by atoll View Post
you are dead right

time to get the thread back !

FYI it is not illegal sail with fire arms on board,but it is illegal NOT to declare them when arriving in a foreign port."

I will try to find the other one Gord, but as I did not comment on it, it will take some work.
johnmcntsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 04:57   #25
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

It seems to me to be a really good idea to double check any "information" you read here. Lack of first hand knowledge or experience doesn't seem to keep many of the members of the forum from spouting off like they know what they're talking about. It's easy to join a forum and be an instant expert on any subject you choose.

Have you noticed how often 100% of the negative "information" on a subject here comes from people with no experience whatsoever with the subject of discussion? Time and time again I see people bashing something they themselves have never used, or in many case never even seen. Porta Botes and composting toilets come to mind as just two recent subjects I've researched. Funny that the people using them seem to like them in almost all cases, whereas the people who don't like them honestly don't know what the F they're talking about.

Doesn't seem to stop them from becoming immediate experts, though. I wouldn't call them armchair sailors so much as armchair blowhards.
Old 24-11-2015, 06:06   #26

T

May a restless wind always fill your sails!!
Ricky j reading is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, permit