Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2014, 07:37   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Copper Bottom Paint Threat in California

While on the morning net here in Mexico was an announcment by the LA Times that copper bottom paint might be meeting it's demise.
Proposed Marina del Rey copper cleanup provokes boater revolt - latimes.com
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:21   #2
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Copper bottom paint threat in California

This pertains to Marina del Rey only. The sky is not falling, Chicken Little.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:42   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

cs..you can still buy decent stuff in mexico...
comex has paint for boat hulls, btw, and comex is everywhere in mexico.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:54   #4
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
cs..you can still buy decent stuff in mexico...
comex has paint for boat hulls, btw, and comex is everywhere in mexico.
The problem with trying to cheat the system (if the water board has its way) is that MdR berthers will be required to prove that they have a non-copper anti fouling paint. There will be enforcement of the regulation.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:22   #5
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This just in- the Marina del Rey TMDL was passed last night. Which means copper-based anti fouling paint will be phased out there on a 10-year schedule.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
This pertains to Marina del Rey only. The sky is not falling, Chicken Little.
Oh I'm so use to your positive comments...Thanx for that. I attached the LA Times link for the sole purpose of the facts which states it is MDR and mentions that the coast of California may follow suit. Why wouldn't it, with Washingtom on board. Keep up the good work
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 07-02-2014, 10:29   #7

Quote:
This just in- the Marina del Rey TMDL was passed last night. Which means copper-based anti fouling paint will be phased out there on a 10-year schedule.
Do you happen to know what the replacement is and how well it works?
Old 07-02-2014, 10:32   #8
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Do you happen to know what the replacement is and how well it works?
There are many non-copper anti fouling coatings available. I have yet to find one that works well here in the Bay Area. But the Bay Area is not MdR.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:42   #9

Quote:
There are many non-copper anti fouling coatings available. I have yet to find one that works well here in the Bay Area. But the Bay Area is not MdR.
I know there are those electronic puck also but I have yet to see any evidence that they are effective. I had heard rumors of some shark skin type of product but I'm sure you know that rumors fly all the time.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:47   #10
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The most likely currently available replacement for copper paints are zinc-based. But these paints require sunlight to be effective, which could be why they haven't proved themselves here in the Bay Area. Our waters are murkier than they tend to be in SoCal. I suspect we'll get lots more evidence of zinc's efficacy (or lack thereof, if that turns out to be the case) as the MdR TMDL takes effect.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:48   #11
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Does anyone really not believe that the country of California will someday in the near future band copper based paints? I just would consider it a given that they will as that is in keeping with actions they have been doing long as I can remember.

Most voters don't care anymore about boaters than they care something like a spotted owl as never impacts them anyway, other making themselves feel good for passing the protection.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:58   #12
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Does anyone really not believe that the country of California will someday in the near future band copper based paints? I just would consider it a given that they will as that is in keeping with actions they have been doing long as I can remember.

Most voters don't care anymore about boaters than they care something like a spotted owl as never impacts them anyway, other making themselves feel good for passing the protection.
You may be unaware that the California state legislature defeated a bill that would have banned copper statewide (very like a law that was recently passed in Washington) just a year ago. The paint maunfacturers and recreational boaters both have powerful lobbies here.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:07   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

I agree that it's another nail in the coffin of boaters unless a viable alternative is found. I have faith in the industry will come up with something. I mean, it's in their best $interest$. I also wonder if there is hard evidence in regards to the actual pollution copper produces and if better result could not be obtained by merely eliminating ablative (sloughing) paints. I for one do not want to see the environment being damaged but I would like to see the evidence. When I was in the Oakland estuary, it was disgusting the amount of pollution after a good rain from the storm drains running directly into the water. It was not uncommon to see condoms, syringes and the like floating past my boat. If they need a cause or axe to grind, why not start there? Maybe because that mess is the result by their turn of the century (1800's) technology.
About most voters not caring...it's up to us to vote in practical representatives to the people. It's up to us to show up and vote. There are lobbyist running wild in our government while voters don't even show up with the excuse that their vote will not change anything.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:09   #14
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
You may be unaware that the California state legislature defeated a bill that would have banned copper statewide (very like a law that was recently passed in Washington) just a year ago. The paint maunfacturers and recreational boaters both have powerful lobbies here.
I'm aware of it, but in the end they will lose. I lived in CA back in the day when only CA had special emissions controls on cars. I bet the car manufacturers had a pretty good lobby.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:34   #15

It can be argued that the gubberment goes overboard on occasion (ok, a lot) but they have done things like eliminate DDT, PCBs, asbestos and lead. You have to agree, these were bonafide killers.

Tags
bottom paint, cal, california, paint