Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2015, 15:20   #1

Boat: Ted Brewer Roughwater 45 Ketch
Cook Islands

Just read the below extract from the SailWorld.com update and as I am planning to sail the Pacific for the next couple of years, I for one will not be going to the Cooks

Cook Islands
This is to advise you that the Cook Islands have increased their fee schedule up to and over a 1,000 % for yachts. The fee for anchoring in the lagoon at Penrhyn and the various atolls was approx $3 NZ / day. Now the fees have increased to about $3.00 / meter of your boat per day.

One of the council members in Tetautua is working hard to correct what appears to be a mistake, but please be advised that currently two boats are anchored in the lagoon at Penrhyn and are having difficulty with the change in the fee structure.

If you have specific questions you may wish to email Rio mailto: teika@oyster.net.ck

If you plan on visiting Penrhyn (and it is a wonderful place to visit with a true community of folks) be aware that the costs to visit will be more then many five star marinas charge.

Fees from their web page:

Port dues are based on the following with the day of arrival and day of departure each counting as one day, regardless of arrival and departure time.

• Monohull NZD 2.14 per metre per day
• Multi‐Hull NZD 2.95 per metre per day.
• Motor Yacht NZD 2.40 per GRT/Metre per day (whichever is greater)
• There is also a mooring fee of NZD 5.00 per day at Aitutaki.
• All persons departing the Cook Islands are required to pay departure tax of NZD 65.00 per person (NZD 15.00 for children under 12).
• Visa extension fee amounts to NZD 70.00 for three months per person.
Fete Accomplie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 07:42   #2

Re: Cook Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fete Accomplie View Post
Just read the below extract from the SailWorld.com update and as I am planning to sail the Pacific for the next couple of years, I for one will not be going to the Cooks

Cook Islands
This is to advise you that the Cook Islands have increased their fee schedule up to and over a 1,000 % for yachts. The fee for anchoring in the lagoon at Penrhyn and the various atolls was approx $3 NZ / day. Now the fees have increased to about $3.00 / meter of your boat per day.

One of the council members in Tetautua is working hard to correct what appears to be a mistake, but please be advised that currently two boats are anchored in the lagoon at Penrhyn and are having difficulty with the change in the fee structure.

If you have specific questions you may wish to email Rio mailto: teika@oyster.net.ck

If you plan on visiting Penrhyn (and it is a wonderful place to visit with a true community of folks) be aware that the costs to visit will be more then many five star marinas charge.

Fees from their web page:

Port dues are based on the following with the day of arrival and day of departure each counting as one day, regardless of arrival and departure time.

Monohull NZD 2.14 per metre per day
• Multi‐Hull NZD 2.95 per metre per day.
Motor Yacht NZD 2.40 per GRT/Metre per day (whichever is greater)
• There is also a mooring fee of NZD 5.00 per day at Aitutaki.
• All persons departing the Cook Islands are required to pay departure tax of NZD 65.00 per person (NZD 15.00 for children under 12).
• Visa extension fee amounts to NZD 70.00 for three months per person.
Sure glad I vistited there in 2000 and 2009 before these fee increases.

Do you know the situation in Palmerston? In 2009 there were locals masquerading as immigration officials, extracting per head fees from cruisers. I can't imagine the Palmerston council letting these fee increases go by without upping their own in response.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 11:17   #3

Must Think they can "get away with it" ,%1000 fee increases but this will turn and bite their administration in the A## !Reason why-tourist $ will drop like stone and locals will vote 'em out.
Those prices higher than my NY marina- Lol

All the Best
Arthur Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 11:59   #4

I just fired off this email to the cook Island .gov

--To Whom It May Concern,

Sirs,please be advised,currently sweeping across the worldwide sailing/boating community ,the councils anchoring/ visiting fee increases are causing quite a stir of Negativity towards visiting and by extension,sadly,your lovely nation.

Cook Islands Council may wish to consider what and how these cost increases are/will affect the prestige and public relations Cook Islands has held.The Council should be aware sailors visiting carry and relate great warm experience from visiting which then in turn is relayed to expoentially more who fly in to experience same.
The message/PR relayed by these extreme "Fee increases",of over %1000 is that your Nation, sadly,is overcome by greed. World explorers,adventurers and tourists have distinct aversions to such world locations and tend to,"spread the word" to avoid such destinations.
I strongly suggest the Council reconsider the damaging outcomes engendered both,seen and unseen of these "fee increases".

Very Truely Yours,
Arthur Garfield ( I used my real name there)

Here's the site Addy for those that wish to send Cook Island Gov their thoughts of "fee increases"--- Cook Islands Government - Search Engine
click the "contact" to send message

All the Best
Arthur Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 22:58   #5

Arthur,
I am very interested to see if you got a response and what it was…………?
Sometimes the answers from Cook Island officals needs to be reminded upon, can be very late or is responded not with answers but multiple questions.

Some notes, I also think there is a mistake. Port fees is not the same thing as a anchoring fee. And definably anchoring inside the lagoon of Penhryn is not equal with anchoring in the tiny port of Rarotonga.
I think the Penhryn populations are quite happy about visitor as they often bring mail and small needed supplies from Rarotonga. If fees are extorted then cruisers should starting to charge fees for delivering what used to be FOC supplies from the capital island.
Also, I seen lots of boats in the Rarotonga port dock. Many charter fishing boats of 30-40 feet. Imagine yourself if they would have to pay those fees 365 days a week. They would go bankrupt.

I never heard of Palmerston anchoring fee. Seriously? If there has been a fee then it’s because rules weren’t followed. I prerequisite to visit Palmerston is to either get permission to go there while at Rarotonga, or by the Island counsel in Aitutaki (while there). One is not allowed to pass by the Cooks and just dropping in at Palmerston and not Suwarrow as well. One must enter the country officially first though official port Authority in Rarotonga (and I believe Aitutaki can do it to but not sure).

Although hard to believe the new fees may have to do with some of the more extreme religious groups pushing…… There are groups that think that cyclones are caused by Air Rarotonga flying on Sundays as gods punishment. The same group also tend to think that every time someone disappears (especially depressed girl teenagers) they have run off with a cruiser. Perhaps these have had an impact on the fees in order to keep down the cruising visitors.
SM6WET is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cook Islands