Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 15:27   #61
cruiser

Boat: Dufour 34, 1975
Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor
Re: Cockroaches - What Do You Do ????

btw, I'm currently fighting the good fight as well. Using roach spray from ACE Hardware, it seems to do a good job. If you have inflatable bags for water and there is any leak, you're likely to find a few of the buggers under and around the bag. Spray like mad.
If this battle isn't soon won, I may haul the boat for the winter in Georgian Bay on Lake Huron, if I can convince myself that shoveling snow back home, and skiing, is a better use of my time than sailing, enjoying warm sunny beaches, pretty women in bikinis, fresh caught lobster....
canucksailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 17:20   #62

Boat: Landfall 39 built 1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksailor View Post
btw, I'm currently fighting the good fight as well. Using roach spray from ACE Hardware, it seems to do a good job. If you have inflatable bags for water and there is any leak, you're likely to find a few of the buggers under and around the bag. Spray like mad.
If this battle isn't soon won, I may haul the boat for the winter in Georgian Bay on Lake Huron, if I can convince myself that shoveling snow back home, and skiing, is a better use of my time than sailing, enjoying warm sunny beaches, pretty women in bikinis, fresh caught lobster....
Hey Canuck

...maybe we should have gone halves in a boat and tag teamed I love the Canadian winters lived there for nearly 6 yrs but the warm water swimming and surfing is pretty dam good to.

Good luck with your war I am getting ahead with mine....can't do the eating option ...retch

Have a goodie!
felixqld66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 17:47   #63

@canucksailor
I am sorry if the video offended... That was not the intent.
Hopefully I shall not be banned for that.

I did hear an interesting report that the UN is suggesting that we all eat more insects, as it is more protein / lb then other sources, and very sustainable.

Just as a hindu may find it offensive to see a McDonalds Big Mac commercial, and just as the thought of eating snails may seem offensive, or raw fish....

what we eat is based on a cultural expectation of what is correct.

I was raised in the west, and the thought of eating an insect or bug is odd. But when I see others, in their culture eating away, and I take a bite and think of it as food... then it is not so odd.

So.. sorry for any offense, and... do not let cultural prejudice put you off a good meal......

Best,
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 18:25   #64

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanpeda View Post
IGRs are good because they are not true poisons. Instead, they disrupt the insect's maturation.
Apologies in advance, but I envision that an infestation of immature roaches could present a serious discipline problem.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:29   #65

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixqld66 View Post
Well Sabre

I like the idea just cause it is left of centre and I always thought dry ice is very cool must be primary school science...

Not sure easy to track down where I am but I will try it in the future.
There are two other sources for CO2 gas that come to mind.

1. Grab the yellow pages and look up the local soft drink supplier. They sell soft drinks in syrup form to restaurants who dispense it using a CO2 injection system. You can buy a regulator and hose from them, then take a couple of bottles of gas and use that.

2. Yellow pages again, this time check out the local welding gas suppliers. CO2 is a welding gas, so grab a regulator and hose, and a bottle or two of gas. You can get this gas in various sizes, so check with the supplier as to the volume of the bottles. X number of cubic feet at standard temperature and pressure.

Doing it this way, you don't have to bother with calculations for the number of lbs of dry ice. Just figure out the rough cubic of your boat, and get the appropriate number of bottles.

Part of the reason that pesticides have limited results is that the bugs can smell or taste it and leave the scene. CO2 poisoning is odorless and tasteless.

Sabre.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:54   #66
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Sabre-
"Even eggs have to breath. "
Don't think so. Poultry eggs may be air-permeable but AFAIK roach eggs don't really care what's outside of them, gas or water.

And if you're renting a CO2 tank for this? Skip the regulator and all, the tank will have a valve on it. Open the valve, gtf out of the boat, come back later. You're probably going to pay by the tank anyway, might as well use the whole thing.

Assuming little critters that can survive under water really will be killed by CO2 anyhow. Wouldn't that be nice.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:01   #67
cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor

hey h20man, who sez...
Quote:
@canucksailor
I am sorry if the video offended... That was not the intent.
Hopefully I shall not be banned for that.
No offense taken, I was trying to be comical....but yuckkkk, cultural mores or not, I had enough trouble eating sea cucumbers in Cuba without even trying to think about ... ewww....cockroaches.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:38   #68

Quote:
hey h20man, who sez...

No offense taken, I was trying to be comical....but yuckkkk, cultural mores or not, I had enough trouble eating sea cucumbers in Cuba without even trying to think about ... ewww....cockroaches.
So... don't think about it..

It turns out that studies claim that the average American eats 1 lb of insects per year, based on acceptable allowances by the FDA of insect parts in food.

I am aware that you are Canadian, so the number may be different.

Do not think about it, rather see that others are munching away, and .... enjoy!

It is easy to get 'grossed out' thinking too much about what we eat... Black Pudding.. etc...

I look at it that if others are eating... and have been.... then... must be safe.... so why not try...

Most military basic survival courses do teach the eating of insects.

BTW, if you like honey, do you know how it is made? Honey bees form nectar into honey by a process of regurgitation. So honey is basically bee throw up...

Honey is healthy, and appears to have an indefinite life span. Samples several centuries old were still edible..

But you liked it before you thought about it, right?

Don't let your brain fool your taste sensors..

Best
Old 09-06-2011, 10:27   #69
cruiser

geez, h20man...
Quote:
honey is basically bee throw up...
I could really, really, like really, learn to hate you! Where do you find this stuff? ewwwww.....(laughing uproariously here)
Old 09-06-2011, 10:40   #70

Quote:
geez, h20man...

I could really, really, like really, learn to hate you! Where do you find this stuff? ewwwww.....(laughing uproariously here)
@canucksailor

you could LEARN to hate me? obviously you have a learning disability, as for others it comes naturally.. And if you havent learn't yet I definitely want to be friends to you... I still have no friends on CF..

BTW, if you like lobster and shrimp... it is from the same family: arthropods.

And you still like honey, right? So .. don't think about it.. don't learn to hate me... and lets be friends..
Old 09-06-2011, 11:13   #71

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

Lets get this straight! Roaches are NOT a food source Period!!
I don't think they even make good bait either.
And I DON'T Recommend to the use of Spiders to get rid of the roaches either...
Especially if you have arachnidphobia... Yack!!!!
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:56   #72
cruiser

ok h20man, we can be friends, as long as you don't plan to invite me to dinner anytime soon...
Old 09-06-2011, 12:48   #73

Boat: Privilege 37

mix the boric acid crystals in gelatin. This will provide an irresistable meal for the cockies, whilst containing the boric acid to a place of your chosing, and also the resultant balls of boric/gelatin will be easy to stick down onto the surface.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:06   #74

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

If anyone wants to read up on the science behind killing bugs, (cockroaches in particular) with CO2, you can read an abstract of the article here.

Effect of carbon dioxide on the Oriental cockroach... [Med Vet Entomol. 2001] - PubMed result

If you really want to read the article, you will have to join up and pay for the priviledge.

I lucked out with my experiment, I just had a bunch of dry ice left over from a flight and used it. It does work. As for eggs it just takes longer.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:12   #75
cruiser

So according to that article, you can end up with skinny or paralyzed cockroaches, not dead ones, depending on how you use the CO2. That's no improvement, lol!

Tags
pest