Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2015, 05:15   #91

Re: Circumnavigation Videoblogs Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandibar View Post
Well, we probably have a different definition for cool in quotation marks, and that's ok. You're almost certainly right it partly comes from differences in age and origin. Don't buy the hippy-heart stuff, though. The hippies I know are somewhat more tolerant of others.
"Coolness" is a state of mind. If differs from overtly crowd-sourcing an existence. The Gaming Generation and I rarely have much of importance to talk about, sadly.

[QUOTE}Edit: sorry for the thread drift on my part. Hope there will be more recommendations for interesting video blogs. On the other hand there are many excellent books on the subject for those days you're off grid. Almost all of them cost money, too [/QUOTE]

There are many publications about cruising/sailing/circumnavigation available for free on-line. Some are even audio-books. You might try a Google search.

Here's a place to start: http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

Hippy-style "coolness" still exists.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:40   #92

Here is another thread with more suggestions.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rs-151648.html

Posted from my buggy iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum app
Wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 13:23   #93

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Delos et al. should have "DONATE HERE" painted on the stern of their vessels. And maybe a neon flag hoisted high that reads "WE SAIL FOR MONEY!"
Now where have I seen this before? Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure they're referred to as boats that you have to pay the owner to go sailing on. OK, now I remember, they're called charters. Of course, when you sail "vicariously" as you say (thanks to youTube), you don't have to pay but can choose to do so if you feel like you've been sufficiently entertained and/or informed to make it worth your while. Nothing all that controversial about either mode of "sailing" really, either conceptually or in their application.

I just watched the 1h:20min Laura Dekker video "Maidentrip" and would recommend it. On the upside for Clyde, it is about a true "circumnavigation" vs. those who merely "churn the mud" in those inconsequential bodies of water otherwise known as the Atlantic or Pacific oceans. Lots of actual footage while underway, as well as boat prep. There are, however, maybe 10-15 mins. total time devoted to the drama surrounding the custody battle in the Dutch courts, etc. But the real "dilemma" might be that you have to pay $2-3 to Amazon, Google, or whomever to see it, and unlike the "Please Donate" sites, such a steep payment is not optional!

Btw, I must be a bit younger than Clyde but I thought the hippy movement was, if nothing else, about tolerance. You know, "live & let live" & all that. Truth be told, I share to some degree Clyde's & other's general sensibilities about the "Donate" requests and have thus far opted out, but I think the entire matter will resolve itself without all the name calling & hostility. Sorry Clyde, but there's really nothing "classy" about that one.

The reality is that those who merely bring their iPhones onboard and produce low-quality vids will likely wind up with literally beer money, while others who buy the equipment and put the time in will draw interest, viewers & ultimately advertising, and thus may wind up doing quite well. Either way, I don't understand the recurring theme of some sort of "subterfuge" going on, especially when the viewer's level of participation is purely optional. While I appreciated the vids from the Hiscock's & others where there are no payment requests, I also found it well worth the $2.99 to watch the Dekker movie, and also gladly pay $10/yr. for "member's" access to the extremely worthwhile information & entertainment I receive in return from the Morgan's Cloud/Attainable Adventure website. And btw, don't forum sites such as CF have the option of becoming a paid "supporter?"

In short, what's the big deal?? Couldn't this just be viewed as an entreprenerial way of increasing the opportunities for those with perhaps less financial wherewithawal to go long-distance cruising? Besides, aren't there more pressing issues, such as, for example, how to overload your Hinckley by installing davits, sat dishes, large refrig units, & washer/dryer's? Personally, I always prefer to drive my Rolls-Royce without the bicycle racks!
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 15:04   #94
g_3

Boat: 9'2" Pride Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
The reality is that those who merely bring their iPhones onboard and produce low-quality vids will likely wind up with literally beer money,
This next millenial generation consumes media different than any before it, and us old folks need to congratulate them rather than complain.

Our generation had to subscribe to magazines, deal with junk mail, and the mass media's generalized/advertorialized content. How many magazine subs have you canceled? The old media screwed us for decades with weak info, and I can say that confidently as I was in the thick of it.

This generation gets to pay for only what they want. They find a topic, say, "sailing when you don't know how to sail," and actually experience it with people who will write them back and answer questions.

They/we can choose who to support. It's brilliant.

I don't want those kids taking 5 years to build their story, making mistakes, and then write about it for some paper or glossy way down the road -- I want to live it with them week by week and learn how to sail and not make their same mistakes.
g_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 15:36   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Btw, I must be a bit younger than Clyde but I thought the hippy movement was, if nothing else, about tolerance. You know, "live & let live" & all that. Truth be told, I share to some degree Clyde's & other's general sensibilities about the "Donate" requests and have thus far opted out, but I think the entire matter will resolve itself without all the name calling & hostility. Sorry Clyde, but there's really nothing "classy" about that one.
Tolerance, yes. It was also about red-flagging nonsense (i.e., folks not being cool). In fact, we used to say "Never trust anyone over 30." What's the phrase now? "Under 30", perhaps? Maybe it boils down to the perception of cool, which has changed since the late '60s. What is cool today? A new "app"? Crowdsourcing? My brother attended Outward Bound "Hurricane Island' in 1971, not to take videos of his experience and tell his pals, but for personal inner-soul fulfillment, growth, and enlightenment. That's the same man that spent 5 months walking the complete Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Mt. Katahdin, Maine with his wife for their honeymoon. Headband, long hair, no video. They did drag along a Kodak Instamatic.

DONATE buttons:

A: NPO (non-profit organization) offering useful info = cool.
B: Young boaters soliciting life money = kinda uncool.

Some get it, some don't.

Quote:
Besides, aren't there more pressing issues, such as, for example, how to overload your Hinckley by installing davits, sat dishes, large refrig units, & washer/dryer's?
You betcha! Much more pressing! By the way, I need to top-off the freezer with NY sirloins and lobster tails before I cast off. Can you please click my donate button and kick me down a few bucks. It's way too much of a hassle for me to put on my shoes and run to the ATM down the block. Much appreciated!
Old 03-09-2015, 16:28   #96

I have been watching the videos of the Emerald Steel. The couple built their own boat out of steel, the woman did the welding, and they built their wood mast and bow sprint.

This is a "video" which is really a slide show of photos they took while build the boat back in 1985.

They seem to sail around the Pacific and have quite a few videos on YouTube. Some of the videos are slide shows and some are older films they took over the years. Seems like some of the recent videos might be shot in digital.

They have been cruising since lunching the boat in 1987.

Later,
Dan
dannc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 17:26   #97

Emerald Steel has awesome videos and they are still current as in they are still cruising.

Clyde, if your brother could afford a camera at the time he would have brought one with him so please just shut up

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 03-09-2015, 17:28   #98

Boat: Cascade 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakey View Post
Clyde, if your brother could afford a camera at the time he would have brought one with him
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 03-09-2015, 18:02   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakey View Post

Clyde, if your brother could afford a camera at the time he would have brought one with him so please just shut up
Wakey, obviously you are too young to know that a Kodak Instamatic IS a camera. As I mentioned, they took it with them on their 5-month hike, just so they could have a few personal memories. They actually didn't take too many photos. They were busy living.

To the OP, my apologies for bringing this thread way off topic with my disdain for uncool beggar boaters who are too lazy to get a job to fund their own lifestyle. For those wishing to pay for a boater's permanent vacation, please donate away! Donate until 'ya can't donate "no mo'".

In closing (yes, my final post in this thread), I'm amazed by this whole "donation" phenomenon. In my generation, if a healthy stranger were to walk up to me and my friends and ask for $10.00 so that he can go buy a few six-packs, we'd start laughing and say "Get a f*#king job, 'ya bum."

"Honey, let's not work and go sailing full time."
"What? We can't afford that yet."
"Ya, I know, but I saw on the Net that if you put up a donate button people will actually pay for us to lounge around in the tropics."
"Really? I can't believe that. Who would be so stupid to give us their hard earned money so that we can be lazy bums on a boat?"
"Honey, believe me, social media has now confirmed PT Barnum's famous saying. I sucker really IS born every minute."
"Wow, that's so cool. I thought we had to be raising money for some worthwhile charity, or running an NPO for the benefit of mankind, or saving starving children in a third-world nation."
"Nope. Ain't life grand? Pack your bikini."

Old 03-09-2015, 18:24   #100
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_3 View Post
This next millenial generation consumes media different than any before it, and us old folks need to congratulate them rather than complain.

Our generation had to subscribe to magazines, deal with junk mail, and the mass media's generalized/advertorialized content. How many magazine subs have you canceled? The old media screwed us for decades with weak info, and I can say that confidently as I was in the thick of it.

This generation gets to pay for only what they want. They find a topic, say, "sailing when you don't know how to sail," and actually experience it with people who will write them back and answer questions.

They/we can choose who to support. It's brilliant.

I don't want those kids taking 5 years to build their story, making mistakes, and then write about it for some paper or glossy way down the road -- I want to live it with them week by week and learn how to sail and not make their same mistakes.

I totally agree g. No more record companies to suck up to for aspiring artists, publish your own ebooks, make your own documentaries without funding, write your own articles without having to hope to sell them to a magazine. When I was a kid sailors would write an article about a particular destination and send a few photos off to cruising world and hope for a few dollars in return some months later. Nowadays the reward for their efforts can be virtually instantaneous. Sure you have to sort the wheat from the chaff in finding some of these artists/writers/adventurers, but I personally prefer that to having what I read, see or hear decided by a marketing executive.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 18:46   #101

Posted today by Vice news

https://youtu.be/umROJFevDs8

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 03-09-2015, 19:05   #102
g_3

Boat: 9'2" Pride Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
...but I personally prefer that to having what I read, see or hear decided by a marketing executive.
^ that is a damn great line.

thanks Monte
g_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:47   #103

Boat: Sandibar 35

oh, wow. I now understand I've been trolled. PCM, read your earlier thread about the Hinckleys. Excellent job! The "cool" definitions and hippy references by someone allegedly in his early 50s and non-responsiveness to sarcasm all make sense now.

Since I don't really have anything to add to the Vlogs, I'll post my favourite books (they all cost some money though, sorry Clyde):

Circumnavigation travelogues:
Across Islands and Oceans by James Baldwin
Days of Deja Vu by Jonathan Reid (not really a circumnavigation, more of a mud-churn). Both very different in style, but the best reads on the subject in my view.
Hard core sailing: Savage Arena by Tasker & Bonington

There are also a couple of truly excellent Finnish books that have probably not been translated to English.
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 13:13   #104

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandibar View Post
oh, wow. I now understand I've been trolled. PCM, read your earlier thread about the Hinckleys. Excellent job! The "cool" definitions and hippy references by someone allegedly in his early 50s and non-responsiveness to sarcasm all make sense now.

Since I don't really have anything to add to the Vlogs, I'll post my favourite books (they all cost some money though, sorry Clyde):

Circumnavigation travelogues:
Across Islands and Oceans by James Baldwin
Days of Deja Vu by Jonathan Reid (not really a circumnavigation, more of a mud-churn). Both very different in style, but the best reads on the subject in my view.
Hard core sailing: Savage Arena by Tasker & Bonington

There are also a couple of truly excellent Finnish books that have probably not been translated to English.

Probably be easier in Hungarian, don't you think? (for those that don't know, for some strange reason, the two languages are only related to each other)
Old 04-09-2015, 16:31   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
I have been watching the videos of the Emerald Steel. The couple built their own boat out of steel, the woman did the welding, and they built their wood mast and bow sprint.

This is a "video" which is really a slide show of photos they took while build the boat back in 1985.

They seem to sail around the Pacific and have quite a few videos on YouTube. Some of the videos are slide shows and some are older films they took over the years. Seems like some of the recent videos might be shot in digital.

They have been cruising since lunching the boat in 1987.

Later,
Dan
Yes, Dan! Excellent. Thanks! I completely forgot about the Emerald Steel videos. One of my favorites is this 1992 video of yachts anchored in Hawaii during Hurricane Iniki.

Best,

John

Tags
circumnavigation, logs, men, navigation