Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2015, 19:53   #76
Eternal Member

Re: Circumnavigation Videoblogs Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Stuffing Hinckleys was more in vogue when they focused on sailboats. Such a shame.
Few things could be further from the truth, seems to me... Boats like the Bermuda 40, and the Sou'wester 42 have always been among the LEAST likely type of boat that owners tend to load down with high capacity watermakers, massive freezers, engines twice the size of standard and triple the fuel capacity, excess generator and battery capacity, and 50-inch satellite domes providing global internet 24/7, just to name some of your originally stated requirements...

And, yes, I'm still waiting to see a pic of either of those 2 Hinckleys fitted with davits... ;-)

Quote:
Where are you now? On a broad reach?
Nope, no sailing until sometime next week, looks like...

No complaints, it's still been a good summer...

;-)
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 20:05   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Few things could be further from the truth, seems to me... Boats like the Bermuda 40, and the Sou'wester 42 have always been among the LEAST likely type of boat that owners tend to load down with high capacity watermakers, massive freezers, engines twice the size of standard and triple the fuel capacity, excess generator and battery capacity, and 50-inch satellite domes providing global internet 24/7, just to name some of your originally stated requirements...

And, yes, I'm still waiting to see a pic of either of those 2 Hinckleys fitted with davits... ;-)

Nope, no sailing until sometime next week, looks like...

No complaints, it's still been a good summer...

;-)
Damn it, Jon! Stop picking hairs! I'm slowly warming up to you.

Hank wanted to build lobster-fishing sloops. Problem was, the Bermuda 40 sailed so well they became race boats.

Haha

Have a good sail!
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 20:19   #78

Quote:
It was a different time back then

Now we are making progress..

It's a different time now as well.

Crowd sourcing is even used to make Hollywood movies and bring inventions to market. (Go fund me)

If you think it is begging, don't beg. Quit with the holier than thou attitude and leave port once in a while, Clyde.

You must be old enough to remember Elvis hitting the scene. The horror huh? Did you see the way he shook his hips?

Going back to Socrates every generation of kids has horrified the generation that preceded it.

When the world passes you by, you are officially old.

Post some videos or plug the gaping hole in your hull.

Posted from my buggy iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum app
Wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 22:54   #79

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by natraps116 View Post
Buuuuurn.

I'm gonna spice this thread up you ready.........

I'm 29.
I own a boat.
Have crossed the carribean.
I have a youtube channel.
Have yet to beg. ( but I am by far not above donations at some point in the future )

Now get ready for it.....

I went to prison from the age of 18 to 22, started a DRYWALL company at 23, bought my first investment property at 24, sold my biggest one at 28, bought a 47 foot yacht with no financing at 28 1/2.

And , now I'm about to head to panama.
I guess I'm one of those 20 something year old bums....

Port,

With respect, you have NO idea how Delos got where they are or any of the channels out there. They have been entertaining and an inspiration for thousands over the years. I donate to them and I'm a sailor! So don't be so harsh calling people bums. Its a hell of alot of work making videos.....

But he only respects those that have completed a circumnavigation.....

Sent from my SM-T700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Impressive resumè, Natraps, at least in my book. I've run across your vids I think -- "Seawolf" maybe? The husband/wife team with the very cool dog as I recall? Hope I got that right so this may be taken as a shameless plug and also a thank you for your movie making efforts. I also wish you the best of luck in your ongoing travels. And no, I really don't care if you one day have a donate button. As I've been trying to tell Clyde, it's easy to avoid getting "conned" out of giving up one's money by simply opting out.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 23:01   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakey View Post
Now we are making progress..
Good. Now we've come to an agreement.

One man's trend-setting new-age entrepreneur is another man's boat beggar.

Glad we got that all sorted out.

To the OP, I touched on them before, yet if you haven't seen the videos posted by Alex Rust (RIP) about his circumnavigation they might be of interest to you.
Old 03-09-2015, 00:12   #81

Boat: Sandibar 35

I for one look forward to each episode of Delos. They have excellent video production standards and are improving with every new video. The tone of the videos has also changed a bit lately. A bit more sailing oriented and less of the bikini parties. Producing those takes a lot of time and effort + hardware. If they can make money of the videos, that's great. I haven't paid anything and am grateful to be able to follow for free. May contribute later, since I think they deserve it.

I'm less interested in the sailing bit on the videos, that's pretty much the same everywhere. What I really enjoy is seeing the different locations they spend time in. I have no access to those exotic to me locations on a boat, save chartering. Oh, I follow Vagabond as well .

I also have a couple of videos online about sailing in the Baltics, and plan to post more next year, if and when we finally get to moving towards the Med from here. Not trying to generate cash (although that would be great), they are there to share with friends or anyone who finds the content interesting. Really hope they don't offend the purists here

From what I gather, the Delos crew (or Vagabond for that matter) would be great to hang out with. Calling them beggars, bums, uneducated or whatnot, really boggles the mind.
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 00:31   #82

Oh and other channels I enjoy:

s/v Sea Wolf (natraps116's channel I assume)
Untie the Lines (did someone here really complain about the fact that she gets help from men... or was it another thread?)
Skip Novak's videos
Wicked Salty

Some pretty popular channels on the other hand, I just don't get.
Old 03-09-2015, 00:50   #83

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Alex Rust videos are a pleasure to watch.
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:15   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
Alex Rust videos are a pleasure to watch.
Agreed!

And the boys on s/v Slick put on a good show. But, they're definitely not cool, because they don't beg and grovel for any sailing cash. haha

Oh, by the way. Can any of you fine members of the "Live Vicariously Club" send me $9.25? I gotta run to the store for a pack of smokes and a couple cans of beer. I promise to take a video of my trip with my iPhone. The production is gonna be a bitch, but rest assured, I'll someday find the time to upload it so you can get a thrill.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:02   #85

Quote:
Agreed!

And the boys on s/v Slick put on a good show. But, they're definitely not cool, because they don't beg and grovel for any sailing cash. haha
Accepting donations (beg and grovel?) does not make any of the discussed vloggers cool, nor the Slick people uncool, at least in my mind and probably anyone else's. To me it is unrelated to the enjoyment from the videos, but clearly it's important to you. I don't understand why, but doesn't really matter.

Quote:
Oh, by the way. Can any of you fine members of the "Live Vicariously Club" send me $9.25? I gotta run to the store for a pack of smokes and a couple cans of beer. I promise to take a video of my trip with my iPhone. The production is gonna be a bitch, but rest assured, I'll someday find the time to upload it so you can get a thrill.
Don't know how the above relates? I don't think anybody is going to be interested in your trip to the store, especially if it's a poor video shot on an iPhone. If you get a donation from someone, more power to you. Means someone liked your video enough. Again, this has little to do with cruising/travel vlogs where the content is interesting to a wide audience, the production standards are close to professional (Delos), and the subject characters are likable.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:46   #86

Boat: wharram tiki 26

I get where Port is coming from tho.I just watched sv slicks vid of his crossing of the Pacific.For someone who has not done so it gives a really realistic unpolished feel. It impressed me more than many of the highly produced and polished vids.

I can see the attraction of ''yay we are living the dream'' kinda vlogs. They are sailing the same oceans and doing same routes in many cases.I do think,the less polished vids are probably more faithful to the reality of voyaging.
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:17   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
I get where Port is coming from tho.I just watched sv slicks vid of his crossing of the Pacific.For someone who has not done so it gives a really realistic unpolished feel. It impressed me more than many of the highly produced and polished vids.

I can see the attraction of ''yay we are living the dream'' kinda vlogs. They are sailing the same oceans and doing same routes in many cases.I do think,the less polished vids are probably more faithful to the reality of voyaging.
Thank you! That was exactly my point, and why certain vlogs rub me the wrong way.

There's a real lack of honesty in vlogs produced merely to attract voyeuristic donations, and I find that behavior overtly distasteful. If someone wishes to share their life (e.g., social media of any type), then that is fine. I might appreciate it, I might not, yet I'm certainly not going to fund it. I can almost hear such types "snickering" with enjoyment as another voyeur clicks the donate button. It lacks genuine "coolness".

Here's the homepage of s/v Slick. An honest circumnavigation, originating from and terminating in Boston, Massachusetts. He bagan in 2011, and ended in 2015. A true bit of sailing from the heart. Not one "donate" button to be found, which actually makes me want to kick him a few bucks. There is a MAJOR difference. Some see it, some don't. Sign of the times, I suppose.

Classy guy!!
Slick's Adventure | But Hardly anything works!
Old 03-09-2015, 04:32   #88

Yep, s/v Slick's videos are nice and have that real gritty feeling too. Probably a different audience than the bunch quoted above. Everyone has different preferences for entertainment.

I think that the point for many was not a difference of opinion about the value of the videos, but the condescending attitude (uneducated beggars, bums, etc. churning the mud...) towards people who are out there cruising full time and posting videos while they're at it.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:48   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandibar View Post
Yep, s/v Slick's videos are nice and have that real gritty feeling too. Probably a different audience than the bunch quoted above. Everyone has different preferences for entertainment.

I think that the point for many was not a difference of opinion about the value of the videos, but the condescending attitude (uneducated beggars, bums, etc. churning the mud...) towards people who are out there cruising full time and posting videos while they're at it.
Some folks can smell a sea rat, some can't. Is it my age, my origin, or simply that I grew up with a late-'60s hippy heart? I can't say, for sure. But boat beggars have little class, in my opinion.

Like s/v Slick, "cool" sailors have a homepage with a "Contact us" button. That way, a viewer can send a message and say "Thanks for sharing your life." Then that viewer could ask "Can I maybe send you a few bucks?" To which the "cool" people would probably reply "Thanks, but no. I didn't do this for the money."

Delos et al. should have "DONATE HERE" painted on the stern of their vessels. And maybe a neon flag hoisted high that reads "WE SAIL FOR MONEY!" "Bambi will wear any color bikini you request. Topless also available."

Old 03-09-2015, 05:03   #90

Well, we probably have a different definition for cool in quotation marks, and that's ok. You're almost certainly right it partly comes from differences in age and origin. Don't buy the hippy-heart stuff, though. The hippies I know are somewhat more tolerant of others.

Edit: sorry for the thread drift on my part. Hope there will be more recommendations for interesting video blogs. On the other hand there are many excellent books on the subject for those days you're off grid. Almost all of them cost money, too , so by definition they are written by bums and beggars. Still entertaining, I think.

Tags
circumnavigation, logs, men, navigation