Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-09-2015, 18:45   #61

Circumnavigation Videoblogs Recommendations

Port, Start a new thread about beggars as you call them, but quit polluting this one.

I'll actually participate in that one, the Patreon phenomenon is quite interesting.

Technology is changing the face of long established industry. Airbnb, Uber, now entertainment providers (on boats) are taking their content straight to the viewing audience. (Patreon)

Posted from my buggy iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum app

Old 02-09-2015, 18:46   #62

Re: Circumnavigation Videoblogs Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
I really shouldn't . . . but . . . sometimes I just can't help myself. You do realize Clyde, do you not, that many of these sailors that you call, among other things, "boat-beggar-bums," are in fact circumnavigating?
Circumnavigation = "all the way around". Thus, most "are not". They are merely churning up the mud in the South Pacific, or they are doing clockwise/counterclockwise rotations in the Caribbean.

Eric and Susan Hiscock: Circumnavigation.

Alex Rust (RIP) and s/v Bubbles: Circumnavigation.

I have respect for those people. I have no respect for begging boat bums.

Fair winds!

Old 02-09-2015, 18:46   #63

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Personally, I found his content more interesting, and concise, when he was running solo. Like the time he bashed his pulpit when towing the disabled vessel on his single-handed sail to Bermuda. Or his interview with the fellow living aboard the Nonsuch. The love interest slows his viddies down a tad, and she often has a sour look on her puss. That's all.

Did you find a name for the software company yet? Moreover, rounding up a few folks in a room to hear you blab on with a PowerPoint slide show is not a "lecture circuit".

Lastly, if you prefer to donate your money to strangers sailing their boats, as opposed to sailing your own boat, then please be my guest.

Fairest of winds to you.
"On her puss?" Please tell me you're kidding us, right?

Nope, sorry I can't end your anxiety & suspense by uncovering a name for the software co. Maybe I would try harder if you could answer why you think the financial/professional background of an anonymous cruiser on the internet is relevant to the thread topic. As you know, I was merely responding to your derogatory comments about penniless, good-for-nothing 20-somethings with info that the bloggers choose to make public. Hate to repeat myself, but "Bryan" of Delos doesn't volunteer a lot of his personal info so I guess you're SOL. There must be some sort of financial backing beyond youTube given the boat and length of voyage but, again I ask, what is your point?

Not sure "lecture circuit" is the right terminology either for doing slideshow presentations at yacht clubs around the world, but maybe I missed something there too. Seems to me a reasonable way to earn some money en route if the interest is there, but really none of our business, right?

And once again, nothing wrong with being somewhat offended by the donation buttons, or preferring vids more concentrated on sailing, but there's also nothing wrong with being respectful towards sailors who are out there doing it, albeit in a manner which you personally don't approve of.
Old 02-09-2015, 18:51   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakey View Post
Port, Start a new thread about beggars as you call them, but quit polluting this one.

I'll actually participate in that one, the Patreon phenomenon is quite interesting.

Technology is changing the face of long established industry. Airbnb, Uber, now entertainment providers (on boats) are taking their content straight to the viewing audience. (Patreon)

Agreed! It is very interesting.

"Polluting" is a strong word, but you're forgiven.

Fair winds.
Old 02-09-2015, 18:54   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
"On her puss?" Please tell me you're kidding us, right?
In English, "puss" means "face". I imagine you think it means something else.

Thus, I wasn't kidding.

Anyway, have a great day.
Old 02-09-2015, 18:58   #66

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Circumnavigation = "all the way around". Thus, most "are not". They are merely churning up the mud in the South Pacific, or they are doing clockwise/counterclockwise rotations in the Caribbean.

Eric and Susan Hiscock: Circumnavigation.

Alex Rust (RIP) and s/v Bubbles: Circumnavigation.

I have respect for those people. I have no respect for begging boat bums.

Fair winds!
I have respect for all sailors who have crossed oceans regardless.

Sounds like you've "been there done that" when it comes to circumnavigating vs. merely "churning up mud" or doing "rotations" in one or two of those mere "oceans." Please . . . do tell.
Old 02-09-2015, 19:05   #67
Eternal Member

Quote:
My mistake. I must have missed that point, or it's very well hidden. So, the name of Sailing Bill Gates Jr's software company is what? Care to share?
Doesn't exactly require Mad Google Skills to plug in Brian Trautman's name, and learn that he graduated form the University of Washington in '01 with a degree in Electrical Engineering, and the names of the 2 companies he founded after graduation...

So much for him being "uneducated", as per your description...

http://www.ee.washington.edu/news/in...ummer_2015.pdf

Quote:
There are two types of people in this world. 1) Those that LIVE their lives without the constant need to videotape/photograph everything, as their memory banks are big enough to retain those memories until passing over to the other side, and 2) those who grew up with youtube and measure their success by viewership numbers.

Please guess which camp I belong to. Ok, I'll help you. It's number 1.
Likewise, it could be said there are two types of 'sailors' who inhabit internet sailing forums. 1) Those that actually OWN a boat, and may be out there or have gone places with it, and 2) those who do not, and can only speak of their Dreams for the future ...

We know which camp you belong to, and it ain't #1...

;-)
Old 02-09-2015, 19:13   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Doesn't exactly require Mad Google Skills to plug in Brian Trautman's name, and learn that he graduated form the University of Washington in '01 with a degree in Electrical Engineering, and the names of the 2 companies he founded after graduation...

Gee, Jon. All that work and you can't provide a name? Did your fingers get tired after insulting me? Again, I don't like clicking on links, and their videos are boring.

Having many miles at sea and under a keel does not always mean "current boat owner". Understood? I assume you're now sailing, so please enjoy your boat. I've enjoyed mine, and will again.

As always, if you need any davits please drop me a line.
Old 02-09-2015, 19:35   #69

Boat: 37' aluminum pilothouse "Elements"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Can we go back to the videos with the girls in Bikinis?

I like Skip Novak's how-to videos myself.

https://youtu.be/YSexcg7f4vU

The monetization of video blogs is just following the recent technologies that companies like Facebook and Youtube has made available "recently". When youtube first came out you could not get paid for advertising, you could not put links in the videos, or easter eggs. Patreon did not exist.

Now, they do and you can. So, its natural for people to reach out to make some money to go sailing. I don't watch video's of people asking for donations. It like they are coming and knocking on my front door. But there are some clever ways of getting someone to donate that is not a hard sell.
Yuck Skip's video shows his sponsors logo for Pantaenius Insurance. It's a shame that he is now a bikini clad 20 something too

Matt
Old 02-09-2015, 19:47   #70
Eternal Member

Quote:
Gee, Jon. All that work and you can't provide a name? Did your fingers get tired after insulting me? Again, I don't like clicking on links, and their videos are boring.
In other words, you require SPOON-FEEDING ???

Wow, THAT sounds like the makings of a sailor worthy of sailing in the wake of the Hiscocks, alright...

Quote:

Having many miles at sea and under a keel does not always mean "current boat owner". Understood? I assume you're now sailing, so please enjoy your boat. I've enjoyed mine, and will again.
Well, anything's possible, I suppose...

However, those who might have been amused by your delusions re the amount of crap you might be able to stuff into your Hinckley Sou'wester 42 Dream Boat could certainly be forgiven for doubting that you've actually racked up "many miles at sea..."

;-)
Old 02-09-2015, 19:54   #71

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3

Quote:

Likewise, it could be said there are two types of 'sailors' who inhabit internet sailing forums. 1) Those that actually OWN a boat, and may be out there or have gone places with it, and 2) those who do not, and can only speak of their Dreams for the future ...

We know which camp you belong to, and it ain't #1...

;-)
Buuuuurn.

I'm gonna spice this thread up you ready.........

I'm 29.
I own a boat.
Have crossed the carribean.
I have a youtube channel.
Have yet to beg. ( but I am by far not above donations at some point in the future )

Now get ready for it.....

I went to prison from the age of 18 to 22, started a DRYWALL company at 23, bought my first investment property at 24, sold my biggest one at 28, bought a 47 foot yacht with no financing at 28 1/2.

And , now I'm about to head to panama.
I guess I'm one of those 20 something year old bums....

Port,

With respect, you have NO idea how Delos got where they are or any of the channels out there. They have been entertaining and an inspiration for thousands over the years. I donate to them and I'm a sailor! So don't be so harsh calling people bums. Its a hell of alot of work making videos.....

But he only respects those that have completed a circumnavigation.....

Sent from my SM-T700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 19:55   #72

Quote:
Well, anything's possible, I suppose...

However, those who might have been amused by your delusions re the amount of crap you might be able to stuff into your Hinckley Sou'wester 42 Dream Boat could certainly be forgiven for doubting that you've actually racked up "many miles at sea..."

;-)
Stuffing Hinckleys was more in vogue when they focused on sailboats. Such a shame. Anyway, please allow me to remind you that I've moved on to a 58-footer (maybe a 64), merely so my delusions can become a reality. Thanks for thinking of me. It's been awhile. Where are you now? On a broad reach?

Fair winds.
Old 02-09-2015, 20:00   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by natraps116 View Post

I went to prison from the age of 18 to 22 ... circumnavigation.....
Those two points interest me. Sorry to hear about the "hard time". It happens.

Title of thread: Circumnavigation Videoblogs Recommendations.

Fair winds.
Old 02-09-2015, 20:12   #74

Port, bubbles is dead and his friends are crowd sourcing (begging) funds to make a movie about him (to profit off his death).

Drake on Paragon is a member of Patreon (beggar)

And the old chap in the movie sold his footage to the BBC (he was a racist, sexist, xenophobe that littered the oceans.)

Everything I said is basically true but this is what I post using your dilapidated filter.

Old 02-09-2015, 20:24   #75

[QUOTE=Wakey;1906128]Port, bubbles is dead and his friends are crowd sourcing (begging) funds to make a movie about him (to profit off his death).[QUOTE]

I know that. That's why I posted "RIP". He died in India do missionary work, or something akin to that. A good guy. His friends? Not on my radar.

Quote:
Drake on Paragon is a member of Patreon (beggar)
He's from Boston, if not mistaken. Me too. Bostonians love baked beans. Is his bean baked? I have no idea. I like most of his videos. Usually something of interest. My duty to support anyone's sea life? Nope.

Quote:
And the old chap in the movie sold his footage to the BBC (he was a racist, sexist, xenophobe that littered the oceans.)
Oh, give me a break. Were you even alive in the '50s? '60s? I was. It was a different time back then, in both sex and race relations. Regardless, I've watched that movie many times. The only time he comes close to being racist is when he mentions that the only markets that have tried to scam his wife were run by Arabs. He even had the balls to anchor and chat with Middle-East drug smugglers. Do you have the balls to do that? Throwing food scraps off the boat while becalmed in the Pacific is far from "littering the oceans". Want to see full-blown present-day xenophobia? Come here to Japan, my good friend. No racism here! hahahah

I have huge respect for what Eric Hiscock and his wife documented. Glad they went sailing with a camera.

Tags
circumnavigation, logs, men, navigation

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: